Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

to be honest, I think Boris let it slip with his "many more will lose loved ones" and "we will get through it" - the second bit being the economy will get through it. I think even with those avoidable deaths but a stronger economy than those shutting down they will see that as a win. 

I do too, they'll try to spin it that way in a situation that will suit them. They hope that natural immunity will set in eventually and have calculated that this way will ultimately lead to less deaths than others that are shutting down at the same stage (or earlier). If this is the scientists actual advice then great, I really hope the experts aren't being ignored behind closed doors.

It doesn't look good at all and at this point I don't think it'll be happening.

I think anyone that is making big plans and/or thinking about forking out big cash for anything to do with Glasto should hold back for as long as possible. Or at the very least take out some sort of insurance, if it's even available now.

I'm guessing a lot of traders/performers/organisers will be thinking exactly the same.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but we do have a global pandemic on our hands.

2 minutes ago, Cooter said:

It doesn't look good at all and at this point I don't think it'll be happening.

I think anyone that is making big plans and/or thinking about forking out big cash for anything to do with Glasto should hold back for as long as possible. Or at the very least take out some sort of insurance, if it's even available now.

I'm guessing a lot of traders/performers/organisers will be thinking exactly the same.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but we do have a global pandemic on our hands.

Little worrying that the UK peak is due to be around 3 weeks before Glastonbury, very short amount of time to get the all clear for festival prep and for any bands that are due to travel over to get sorted. It might just scrape through. Slam Dunk just released saying they are going until told they can't, its outdoors but smaller and I'm thinking that could get called off as it's directly in the peak time.

Just now, zico martin said:

So are we thinking that tonight's poster drop will be a case of 'here's what you could have won' then ? 

Ps I'm ticket less but still dreaming

There is a poster drop?

1 minute ago, zico martin said:

So are we thinking that tonight's poster drop will be a case of 'here's what you could have won' then ? 

Ps I'm ticket less but still dreaming

Given the shit Cheltenham has had for going ahead this week I'd be extremely surprised if any poster came out until if and when things improve.

I have to say, this is perhaps the first day that I think it's more likely to be cancelled this year than not.

It's not so much the festival itself, as it is the coaches and trains which people need to get there and back. Hard to avoid close contact with people in those confined spaces. Also, if the festival will be near the peak period, possible shortages in police and healthcare personnel may make it harder to run the festival.

On the other hand...

The full text on instagram:

"So, after much consideration given the current circumstances, and with the best of intentions, here is the first list of musical acts for Glastonbury 2020.

As things stand we are still working hard to deliver our 50th anniversary Festival in June and we are very proud of the bill that we have put together over the last year or so. No one has a crystal ball to see exactly where we will all be 15 weeks from now, but we are keeping our fingers firmly crossed that it will be here at Worthy Farm for the greatest show on Earth!

As always this is just a taste of what is to come, we plan to announce many more artists and attractions, area by area, over the coming weeks leading up to the full line-up in May.

In the meantime we post this with much love to all. "

Edited by FrankieX
Adding instagram text.

45 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

So because it was honesty and realistic it was a bad message? 

41 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't be honest just pointing out how bad the figures are looking, even with the measures in place.

He could have finished off whistling "Always look on the bright side of life..." with the whole press corps joining in the de-doo bits. Would have made me smile anyway....

What a crazy last few days. Easily this has been the wildest time in my life and hands down, the single craziest 24 hours in NBA history.   I just got out of a meeting after discussing steps forward for the league.  Currently everything is on the table, including a full cancelation of the season, after we had a second player test positive from the same team. We are expecting more to pop up over the next 5-10 days since there are nearly 50 individuals with direct contact/exposure to these two players. Currently it is not clear how the initial player contracted the virus and we are treating one player as a "patient zero" as opposed to the other. Everything is being monitored extremely close and we are sending all of the teams data and contact going forward to the proper authorities to use as a study of how things could possibly be transmitted in close contact. 

There is a high up call with a CDC and another government official later. There will be questions about everything and I'm sure some interesting data or insight to relay.  I won't be directly in that call but I will get the rundown and bullet points and try to relay what I am allowed to.  

I will say this though, there is a rumor going around of a national event ban for the United States. Some states have gotten out ahead of it, but the rumor is that a week from now, we will be looking at a national ban of events more than 500 people. This ban will be We have seen some states get ahead of this.  In my meeting this morning, as is now public, we learned of the MLB and NHL's plans to suspend play as well. The NCAA tournament will likely not continue as scheduled either.

1 minute ago, TownesMR said:

Do we think the poster dropping has any effect on making us more certain or not if the festival will go ahead?

The festival has to carry on ‘business is normal’ for insurance reasons I think. It can’t cancel itself 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m just hoping that as a huge amount of money goes to charity and it’s a national institution televised on the BBC like Wimbledon and the Grand National, that it will somehow survive the chop 

I think there are bigger fish to fry sadly I’m afraid 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I do too, they'll try to spin it that way in a situation that will suit them. They hope that natural immunity will set in eventually and have calculated that this way will ultimately lead to less deaths than others that are shutting down at the same stage (or earlier). If this is the scientists actual advice then great, I really hope the experts aren't being ignored behind closed doors.

I suspect the length of the meeting doesnt exactly point towards consensus. I just worry that nobody else's scientists seem to be saying this, though maybe we're getting our "strong suggestions" from across the Atlantic 

Edited by efcfanwirral

I know everyone is desperate for an answer on this, but it seems quite clear now that we won't have a definitive one until much, much closer to the event. Anything between now and May is irrelevant - the state of play in May/early June is what matters now.

It seems clear it will only be cancelled if the government bans large gatherings. It's not a sexy answer but we just have to wait for a while.

People are free to debate what they want and I'm sure this thread will be busy with Glastonbury and general CV discussion, but I just hope people can enjoy the other threads about the lineup as well. The festival is on until the government confirms otherwise, so hopefully we can enjoy the build up to a degree.

• Upvote 1