Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

3 minutes ago, Splatt said:

It has little effect at the moment. I imagine they’ll come into effect nearer the peak, then even a 1% change will have a big impact in terms of numbers (as the overall numbers of people infected then will be so high)

Face it. There's a few people in here that no matter what the goverment say or do people will say 'well thats it not happening.' 

We really dont know all we can go is what the goverment are saying, the peak is in 10-14 weeks they're trying to spread out how many people get it and for them to self isolate and that there's no need to cancel big events, or sporting at this time. 

Why can't we all just take that on the head and go 'Okay' instead of 'well I guess we're still fucked' 

I'm hoping things get better by June, but here in Canada we've just seen some crazy restrictions. Quebec just banned all events over 250 people. Ontario hasn't done anything yet, but I've had a handful of shows get cancelled. I'm performing Saturday, but the attendance of my gigs are equivalent to self isolation.

"Public Health England estimates that on average 17,000 people have died from the flu in England annually between 2014/15 and 2018/19. However, the yearly deaths vary widely¾from a high of 28,330 in 2014/15 to a low of 1,692 in 2018/19. Public Health England does not publish a mortality rate for the flu."

Its interesting that the papers are using last years figures as context for what is happening at the moment. Last years figures were exceptionally low compared to the previous four years.

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

English scientists vs the world. Let's see what happens...

A Tweet from Hugo Gye, deputy editor of the i:

The govt approach to coronavirus is one of the most interesting social experiments of recent times. If it works: UK avoids shutting down the country, but suffers virus outbreak no worse than elsewhere. Masterstroke. If not: UK suffers 100s or 1000s of avoidable deaths.

As has been mentioned quite a bit I expect by June the point of social distancing may be kind of moot. It will most likely be wide spread by then and have little to no effect on spread.

At this point I think the question really comes down to if the emergency services have the capacity to cope with the staffing of the festival whilst everything else is going on and I would expect pressure from all corner to focus all our resources on fixing it and treating people rather than festivals. This is what worries me.. (as well as the obvious impending doom on the world of course) 

I was pretty positive before today but feel a bit disheartened now. 

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think you actually read it all, did you...? :P 

Don't think some paid proper attention to Boris either, that was one of the worst messages from a politician I've ever heard, they usually try to put a positive spin on things but coming straight out with "many more families are going to lose loved ones" should tell you this is bad. The CMO didn't do the math on the worst case scenario but he gave the figures, 80% infection rate 1% overall mortality rate, that's half a million dead. Even if the figures are much better than that it's still very frightening. The peak is weeks away, no chance of Glastonbury happening.

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

Don't think some paid proper attention to Boris either, that was one of the worst messages from a politician I've ever heard, they usually try to put a positive spin on things but coming straight out with "many more families are going to lose loved ones" should tell you this is bad. The CMO didn't do the math on the worst case scenario but he gave the figures, 80% infection rate 1% overall mortality rate, that's half a million dead. Even if the figures are much better than that it's still very frightening. The peak is weeks away, no chance of Glastonbury happening.

So because it was honesty and realistic it was a bad message? 

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

A Tweet from Hugo Gye, deputy editor of the i:

The govt approach to coronavirus is one of the most interesting social experiments of recent times. If it works: UK avoids shutting down the country, but suffers virus outbreak no worse than elsewhere. Masterstroke. If not: UK suffers 100s or 1000s of avoidable deaths.

to be honest, I think Boris let it slip with his "many more will lose loved ones" and "we will get through it" - the second bit being the economy will get through it. I think even with those avoidable deaths but a stronger economy than those shutting down they will see that as a win. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

It's called 'gallows humour'

gallows humour
/ɡaləʊz ˈhjuːmə/

noun

1. grim and ironic humour in a desperate or hopeless situation.

2 hours ago, Havors said:

You do know who the president is right?? 

I think its more of a case of not giving a flying fuck if he died as opposed to wishing him dead... 

Nah, we fucking hate him.

Quite surreal over in Norway with the whole country going into shutdown for at least 2 weeks. Even more surreal to see the lack of action by the UK government. Can't see this ending with anything else than Glastonbury being cancelled, sadly. I was initially positive, but with the lack of action I can't see stuff like that going on as normal over the summer.

Nice and easy read here

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't be honest just pointing out how bad the figures are looking, even with the measures in place.

Ahh okay my mistake, normally when I see 'that was bad, politician' is normally in hate/jest towards the individual.