Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

What's your best guess?   

1,011 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

It really is looking game over, cannot imagine how it can be staffed with all this going on. Not sure I’d feel it morally right either, it’s gonna be an all hands to the pump event for the country to get through it. A party in a field at the same time just feels wrong. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Imagine if corona takes michael eavis!! 😱

I don’t know who you are, but as a villager myself I am happy chat in the village face to face with you should you wish to identify yourself.   the fence does NOT start to go up until May. I run

27 BC

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

They're trying to flatten so the peak isn't as much, but if everyone has it, why would the festival not go on? DOn't go to the festival if you have it, put the same measures in place as youw ould do at home. 

Again, if our country was to just shut down for a whole month, we'd be in a lot of trouble 

This is exactly it, the peak will be flattened so as to limit the danger to at risk people. The spread wouldn’t be severe at large gatherings and said at risk people wouldn’t be at these events inadvertently amounts so the risk to them is minimal from Glastonbury.  

3 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

When do people (not you lot) think Italy’s peak will be?

With poor controls the rate of spread is doubling every 4 days. Any successful effort will be visible by that doubling time extending.  It is impossible to predict, but peak is still at least a couple of weeks or month away in any nation.

Edited by Spindles
4 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Is everyone still worrying about the peak even though they said cancelling large events has little effect? 

Because this thread is mostly full of people that have been saying it wont happen since day 1. 

2 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

When do people (not you lot) think Italy’s peak will be?

After beating France on penalties in 2006.... <I'll get my coat>

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Is everyone still worrying about the peak even though they said cancelling large events has little effect? 

It has little effect at the moment. I imagine they’ll come into effect nearer the peak, then even a 1% change will have a big impact in terms of numbers (as the overall numbers of people infected then will be so high)

even without thinking of the infections, wouldnt the restrictions on artists movements and tours dropping left right and centre be enough to put the festival at risk.. i know, sorry to come back with such joy!

3 minutes ago, Splatt said:

It has little effect at the moment. I imagine they’ll come into effect nearer the peak, then even a 1% change will have a big impact in terms of numbers (as the overall numbers of people infected then will be so high)

Face it. There's a few people in here that no matter what the goverment say or do people will say 'well thats it not happening.' 

We really dont know all we can go is what the goverment are saying, the peak is in 10-14 weeks they're trying to spread out how many people get it and for them to self isolate and that there's no need to cancel big events, or sporting at this time. 

Why can't we all just take that on the head and go 'Okay' instead of 'well I guess we're still fucked' 

I'm hoping things get better by June, but here in Canada we've just seen some crazy restrictions. Quebec just banned all events over 250 people. Ontario hasn't done anything yet, but I've had a handful of shows get cancelled. I'm performing Saturday, but the attendance of my gigs are equivalent to self isolation.

"Public Health England estimates that on average 17,000 people have died from the flu in England annually between 2014/15 and 2018/19. However, the yearly deaths vary widely¾from a high of 28,330 in 2014/15 to a low of 1,692 in 2018/19. Public Health England does not publish a mortality rate for the flu."

Its interesting that the papers are using last years figures as context for what is happening at the moment. Last years figures were exceptionally low compared to the previous four years.

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

English scientists vs the world. Let's see what happens...

A Tweet from Hugo Gye, deputy editor of the i:

The govt approach to coronavirus is one of the most interesting social experiments of recent times. If it works: UK avoids shutting down the country, but suffers virus outbreak no worse than elsewhere. Masterstroke. If not: UK suffers 100s or 1000s of avoidable deaths.

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

They've also said if you have a on going cough or a feaver, so symptoms only. 

Hopefully this works. 

I don't think you actually read it all, did you...? :P 

29 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

27 BC

As someone who holds an MA in Classics (not posh or a Tory, promise), I appreciate this greatly.