Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

On 3/11/2020 at 11:13 AM, squirrelarmy said:

I’m supposed to be flying out to Prague in a few weeks but the Czech government is cracking down to keep their cases low so there’s a chance my trip will be cancelled. 

No point worrying about it until if it happens. Negativity breeds negativity and there’s enough of it around at the moment. 

On 3/11/2020 at 11:18 AM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m going to Prague next week on a stag. I think as it stands they’ve banned gatherings of more than 100 people, but we checked and that wasn’t affecting things like night clubs etc. As it stands we’re still going.

Sorry guys, they've banned all tourists and pubs will be shutting at 8pm (BBC News)

8 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

Does social media make things better or worse in times like this? There is a strong argument to be put forward for both. 

Worse for me. Extreme opinions rise to the surface on the internet and in this situation it's difficult to be extremely positive, but very easy to be extremely negative. There's then a neverending feedback loop of doom; see thread.

Edited by Snerrick

13 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Sorry guys, they've banned all tourists and pubs will be shutting at 8pm (BBC News)

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes, we’re looking at U.K. based alternatives right now!

We’re also looking at new plans. Not sure about refunds. Will see what the state of play is there. 

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

We booked with easy jet, another in the group had a stag in Hungary in a few weeks booked with BA and they’re getting a refund 

Flights through Ryanair, accommodation was booked not sure if it was paid for. 

23 minutes ago, st dan said:

Does social media make things better or worse in times like this? There is a strong argument to be put forward for both. 

I'm gonna go against the trend here and say better - but I include this place within that. The viral wash your hands posters with different songs have made a point, being able to discuss it with people is good and staying upto date has been good. The people who think they know it all would do that anyway, that's a person thing not a technology thing. The various messages have needed, and will continue to need, to make it to everyone and social media has been good for that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pinhead said:

Scotland have officially bannded mass gatherings over 500 now.

I was just about to post this. Main motivation is to not stress emergency services. We'll see what Boris says later, but I can't see Glastonbury going ahead if they believe that they could be burdening our health services.

4 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

I was just about to post this. Main motivation is to not stress emergency services. We'll see what Boris says later, but I can't see Glastonbury going ahead if they believe that they could be burdening our health services.

Sturgeon did clearly state on the mass gatherings point that all four administrations would make their own announcements on this - there was a suggestion that Scotland's stance wasn't necessarily the same as other parts of the UK.

"The Brazilian government’s communications secretary, Fabio Wajngarten, has tested positive for coronavirus.

He was part of the entourage of President Jair Bolsonaro during his visit to the US, where he met President Donald Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence.

Mr Wajngarten posted a picture of the meeting where he is seen standing next to Mr Trump in Miami on his Instagram page on Saturday.

Brazilian media report Mr Bolsonaro is being monitored for symptoms.

Meanwhile Mr Trump has said he is not concerned."

1 minute ago, grilladelphia said:

"The Brazilian government’s communications secretary, Fabio Wajngarten, has tested positive for coronavirus.

He was part of the entourage of President Jair Bolsonaro during his visit to the US, where he met President Donald Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence.

Mr Wajngarten posted a picture of the meeting where he is seen standing next to Mr Trump in Miami on his Instagram page on Saturday.

Oh, the oppertunity.....

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Surely such bans will have timeframes attached to them though

Think its too early for them to say when they will be lifted, any dates given now may end-up getting extended depending on how things go. She did mention any closing of schools would likely be in place until the summer.

Edited by I am Jon

6 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

Sturgeon did clearly state on the mass gatherings point that all four administrations would make their own announcements on this - there was a suggestion that Scotland's stance wasn't necessarily the same as other parts of the UK.

Absolutely true, although I could see that being an ethical stance that Glastonbury would take. It's the last place that I'd ever imagine having a selfish mindset. We shall see!

4 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Oh, the oppertunity.....

Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro tested for coronavirus after calling crisis ‘fantasy’

Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro is being tested for the coronavirus days after earlier in the week calling the pandemic a “fantasy.”

The far-right leader is being monitored for the deadly bug that has spread to at least 34 people in the Latin American country, Reuters reported, citing the Brazilian newspaper O Estado de S. Paulo.

Bolsonaro previously tried to downplay the worldwide health threat Tuesday during a US visit to Miami.

“During the past year, obviously, we have had moments of crisis. A lot of that is fantasy. And coronavirus, which is not [what] all the mainstream media makes it out to be,” he said.

Bolsonaro returned to Brazil this week after meeting on Saturday with President Donald Trump at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Miami.

The White House said earlier in the week that Trump was in “excellent health” after shaking hands with a congressman exposed to the virus.

“The President has not received COVID-19 testing because he has neither had prolonged close contact with any known confirmed COVID-19 patients, nor does he have any symptoms,” White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said. “President Trump remains in excellent health, and his physician will continue to closely monitor him.”

9 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

I was listening to Trumps "address to the nation" from last night - and i thought he sounded breathy and as if he could be unwell...