Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

Just now, Ommadawn said:

Yes, but that wasn't caused by a pandemic forecast to last just a few weeks in each country.

Few weeks?? 

All the experts I have listened to are saying this will last for years 

Just now, Henrik said:

Few weeks?? 

All the experts I have listened to are saying this will last for years 

I don't think they're experts. They''ll be a vaccine available early next year which should stop it in it's tracks and that's assuming it hasn't burnt out by then anyway.

4 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Yes, but that wasn't caused by a pandemic forecast to last just a few weeks in each country.

Right, so because the cause is different the effect won’t be the same, or much worse? Global economic meltdowns can only be caused by the same recurring thing?

Economies don’t just ‘tank for a few months’ that is an incredibly naive statement. They collapse like a house of cards, it’s not possible for them to just tank and then recover.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

25 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yep - I think this is now unavoidable, and we’re probably heading to 2008 levels (or likely even worse). 

One benefit between now and 2008 is the technology advances in that time. That has meant that even in a complete lock-down, a lot of people can still work. 

Of course, this won't help everyone and I'm not arguing that the economic impact won't be disastrous, but hopefully this limits the impact to some extent.

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

That's not how this works. Financial crisis are invariably triggered by a single event that goes onto expose inherent structural weaknesses in a nations banking/mortgage systems. Due to how interconnected the world's financial system now is, a single pinch point can lead to a global crisis.

Economists have been speculating for years what the next trigger would be, given that consensus suggests there are still huge structural flaws post 2008 and that the big monetary guns are all but exhausted - low interest rates, QED etc. Gives me chills to think how close Italy, Spain, even the UK, were to financial oblivion a decade ago and that position has hardly improved, with less options available to mitigate. It  could get ugly if this becomes too drawn out.

8 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

As opposed to the animals that we should eat?

Yeah the distinction between the two types is one is farmed for human consumptions (i.e. disease free) and other is not (i.e bats with diseases)

Lets not get onto a stupid vegetarian/vegan/omnivore debate 

British government wants UK to acquire coronavirus 'herd immunity', writes Robert Peston

The key phrase we all need to understand is “herd immunity” – which is what happens to a group of people or animals when they develop sufficient antibodies to be resistant to a disease.

The strategy of the British government in minimising the impact of Covid-19 is to allow the virus to pass through the entire population so that we acquire herd immunity, but at a much delayed speed so that those who suffer the most acute symptoms are able to receive the medical support they need, and such that the health service is not overwhelmed and crushed by the sheer number of cases it has to treat at any one time.

The government’s experts – the chief medical officer and the chief scientific advisor – have made two big judgements. 

First, as the World Health Organisation on Wednesday in effect conceded, that there is no way now of preventing the virus sweeping across Africa, Asia and the Americas – which in practice means that it will be an ever-present threat to the UK, unless and until a mass vaccine is available for use.

Second, the kind of coercive measures employed by China in Wuhan and Hubei have simply locked the virus behind the closed doors of people’s homes. 

And just as soon as the constraints on freedom of movement are lifted there, the monstrous virus will rear its hideous face again.

What are the consequences for the UK of these judgements, which the Prime Minister and Health Secretary are accepting?

We will know the detail later on Thursday, after the Cobra meeting of ministers and experts make the formal decision to move from the phase of containing the virus to delaying the inevitable epidemic.

But we already know that at the heart of their plans are increasing the proportion of the population able to be tested and also what’s known as “social distancing”.

In the first instance, this will mean encouraging anyone showing even the mild symptoms – such as a dry cough – to self-isolate at home.

But what it does not mean, at least yet, is school closures or the banning of mass events like football matches.

There are a few reasons why school closures are not regarded as sensible, not least that children themselves are the least at risk from the virus – although they may well be an important channel of infection-transmission to older people who are at risk.

However, the government’s main argument against closing schools is it would – at a stroke – massively deplete the manpower of hospitals and care homes, because vast numbers of medical staff would be forced to stay home to look after their children.

And at the heart of the UK’s challenge – as confirmed on Wednesday in the Budget with its extra £5 billion for the NHS, as a down payment on the needed extra beds and relevant kit – is how to make sure hospitals have the resources to treat the expected surge in those needing urgent attention.

For what it’s worth, ministers are looking with grim bemusement at the debate in football’s governing bodies about banning the public from stadia.

They fear this fuels alarmism and do not think playing matches behind closed doors is necessary at this stage.

Far more sensible, they believe, is for all of us to become much more wary about physical contact with everyone in our day-to-day lives – whether travelling to work, at work, or at the shops.

And many more of us should take the opportunity to work at home, perhaps all the time, if we possibly can.

To get through this, we all need to become less tactile, more cautious in our physical contact.

And, as the WHO’s Margaret Harris said on my show last night, these social and cultural changes may have to become permanent.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-12/british-government-wants-uk-to-acquire-coronavirus-herd-immunity-writes-robert-peston/

11 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Right, so because the cause is different the effect won’t be the same, or much worse? Global economic meltdowns can only be caused by the same recurring thing?

Economies don’t just ‘tank for a few months’ that is an incredibly naive statement. They collapse like a house of cards, it’s not possible for them to just tank and then recover.

Take a good look at yourself in a mirror and you will find a reflection of yourself quivering in fear. It's a virus FFS that doesn't affect most people particularly badly. Get a grip and we'll resume this conversation in a few months when everything is back to near normality.

36 minutes ago, amishsexpistol said:

The virus simply hasn't taken nearly as much of a hold across the Atlantic yet.

This is a key point which has a huge unknown. It’s only based on the number of tests conducted.

America has barely tested anyone. The first indication they had the virus in the US was when a group of people in WA who are in relative isolation to large parts of America suddenly died. 

The virus is probably running rampant through the country and people there are struggling to get tested and that’s just the ones who can afford the tests. 

We do not have a true picture of how bad things are in America. You can’t base the truth on the little information we have been given.  

3 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Take a good look at yourself in a mirror and you will find a reflection of yourself quivering in fear. It's a virus FFS that doesn't affect most people particularly badly. Get a grip and we'll resume this conversation in a few months when everything is back to near normality.

Thought it was a few weeks? 

5 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Fairly hefty jump in deaths within Spain. I wonder is their health service getting to a point like Italy were it cannot cope with the amount of people needing treatment.

Yep, a near doubling from 47 to 84

Edited by Mr.Tease

8 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Good. Grief.

Its clear from this post that any response would be a waste of my time and sail about 100 miles over your head, so I just won’t bother.

just posted this in the next poster thread. Its from Bearded Theory. I like the approach, and I wouldnt be surprised if G did similar.....

March 11, 2020 7:17 pm

We are aware of the growing concerns about what affect Covid-19 will have on this year’s festival.

Central Governments current advice remains that they have no intention cancelling mass gatherings especially those that are hosted outside. We are equally aware that all advice given is issued on a dynamic basis and has potential to change.

Our own responsibility is to those that have afforded us their trust by purchasing tickets and their expectation that we will look after them to best of our ability. In line with this we have a contingency plan whereby we can postpone the festival if it were needed to a date in September, we have secured the venue, license, suppliers and the vast majority of the current line-up programme. This will be implemented if it was decided that mass gatherings would be cancelled and the advice from Government is that we would know this on or before April 1st, 2020.

We must stress that it is fully expected that the event will continue in May and that it will be safe to do so. We will be implementing enhanced hygiene measures across the site and will be announcing further measures in the lead up to the festival.

In the interim please remember that your ticket purchase with us as always remains a secure purchase.

The latest advice we have been given on this matter can be reviewed here World Health Organisation and here Production Services Association

Thank you for your support – see you in May

Exactly - Healthcare systems failing in countries and we are only at start of the outbreak. As has been said before consistently from sources 20% need hospitalisation. If need ICU takes weeks to recover and free up that bed. Horrendous outlook on this. Plenty of younger, healthier people struggling.

10 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Good. Grief.

Its clear from this post that any response would be a waste of my time and sail about 100 miles over your head, so I just won’t bother.