Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I agree with this

Yes that makes absolute perfect sense.

People have to understand that the virus cannot be eradicated in the short term and extreme social distancing isn’t sustainable.

We have one shot to implement it for a specific period with the sole aim of helping the NHS.

If you personally want to avoid the virus you need make the choice to hide in your home until the vaccine becomes available to you.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Thanks, Mrs c is seriously worried about those in her care. They are in a bit of a panic, relatives have stopped visiting some of them, they can’t get vital cleaning stuff and the media headlines aren’t helping. The Daily mail should be banned , their headlines actually scare old people. 

The Daily Mail's headline yesterday was awful. Definitely scared my 97 year old mother.

This is my first post in this thread, although I have been following it with interest. Right now, no, I don’t think it will go ahead. I hope I’m wrong though, because if it does happen, it will mean either things are improving, or there is a clear way forward. At the moment, everyone – politicians, scientists and posters to this forum, are best guessing what looks set to become a terrible situation. My Mum is 80, and my Mum-in-law 85. Self-isolation for 4 months plus would be very challenging for them, but catching this virus potentially much worse. Visiting Tesco yesterday was a real eye opener. I’ve never known anything like it. I dread the economic fall out to come, whenever this is under control. With no medical skills to speak of, all I appear able to do t help is wash my hands regularly.

We need to stick together to keep our spirits up at the very least. Be nice and look out for one another. The farm will still be there when this is over. If it’s cancelled, let’s have a virtual Glastonbury on here. I’m stocking up on the cider just in case, and I’ll be pitching my tent in the garden. Take care.

ToS xxx

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

This is my first post in this thread, although I have been following it with interest. Right now, no, I don’t think it will go ahead. I hope I’m wrong though, because if it does happen, it will mean either things are improving, or there is a clear way forward. At the moment, everyone – politicians, scientists and posters to this forum, are best guessing what looks set to become a terrible situation. My Mum is 80, and my Mum-in-law 85. Self-isolation for 4 months plus would be very challenging for them, but catching this virus potentially much worse. Visiting Tesco yesterday was a real eye opener. I’ve never known anything like it. I dread the economic fall out to come, whenever this is under control. With no medical skills to speak of, all I appear able to do t help is wash my hands regularly.

We need to stick together to keep our spirits up at the very least. Be nice and look out for one another. The farm will still be there when this is over. If it’s cancelled, let’s have a virtual Glastonbury on here. I’m stocking up on the cider just in case, and I’ll be pitching my tent in the garden. Take care.

ToS xxx

Dammit I’m out of upvotes!

• Upvote 1

Took a trip to my local supermarket here in Melbourne today, and it was surreal.

The closest I can come to describing it was like it had just been looted. The latest product to go on the rations list is mince, of which there was none. If you're after toilet roll, tissues, hand sanitiser, paper towels of any kind, pasta, canned soup, rice, or flour, and you're not queueing up at 7am when the store opens, you can forget it.

We've stockpiled for 14 days and felt bad for doing it, but when everyone else is, doing the right thing means you lose out.

4 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

The Austrian government has sent text messages to its citizens in the UK, saying it is "not convinced" by the UK's anti-virus measures and urging them to return to Austria - source bbc.

This worries me. 

Does Boris have my phone number? Can I share some memes with him on whatsapp 

For those whose supermarkets are not very well stocked, lots of greengrocers/corner shops/etc. (in London anyway) are very well stocked. Lovely middle eastern specialty gaff near me with fruit and veg galore.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Love that, thanks.

What is great is the simulations on that are all unique every time you run them. I ran the enforced quarantine one twice, and got a different outcome. In the first one an infected ball got out almost straight away resulting in a pretty smooth up and down infection rate.

In the second one it took much longer for an infected ball to get out, so initially the virus had peaked and was on its way down and then massively spiked up again.

It basically proves that the longer you enforce quarantine you create a false impression the virus is under control, but as soon as it’s lifted it spikes again and you end up in the position you would’ve been anyway.

Much better to try and slow it than attempt to stop it completely.

4 hours ago, Dave85radiohead said:

A tablet? You could face time her and it will ring just like a phone when you're calling. She would only need to press answer and you could have a face to face chat. You could pay for 3g or 4g on a monthly contract for her? 

That’s what I’m thinking. Or a Mobile Phone with the family’s numbers on it and just Whatsapp, and plenty of data