Jump to content

Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?


What's your best guess?   

1,011 members have voted

  1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
      117
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
      180
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
      242
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
      288
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead
      184


Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Out of up votes I afraid.

Thanks, Mrs c is seriously worried about those in her care. They are in a bit of a panic, relatives have stopped visiting some of them, they can’t get vital cleaning stuff and the media headlines aren’t helping. The Daily mail should be banned , their headlines actually scare old people. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Imagine if corona takes michael eavis!! 😱

I don’t know who you are, but as a villager myself I am happy chat in the village face to face with you should you wish to identify yourself.   the fence does NOT start to go up until May. I run

27 BC

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So what you’re saying is you’ve been spreading doom and gloom on here and predicting apocalyptic scenarios, but very possibly been merrily spreading it everywhere for weeks?

I hope you’re having a bit of a joke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I hope you’re having a bit of a joke.

No, I’m very serious. You’ve been spouting doomsday scenarios on here yet have ignored government advice so contributed to them. You were talking yesterday about being concerned about certain family members, have you been in contact with them?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The bill will just give the power to shut down large events, so I don't think it will have a date to it but the government can act if there think its necessary. 

Unsure if this means anything but less likely an immediate cancellation is necessary. Possibly buys the festival a couple of weeks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Friend in Barcelona said she wants to get some fresh air later, so will have to take her prescriptions with her in order to go for a walk. Rumours circulating there that you could be arrested for going out for anything nonp-essential, but she's not sure if it's true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s confusing two issues isn’t it? On paper and based on all the stats we have the virus isn’t that dangerous is it?

There are currently amongst a population of nearly 8 billion 5600 people in a critical condition from it:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
 

The main danger comes from the Impact of the measures taken to control it and not the actual virus itself.

The point I was making which I think is pretty clear, is the bigger problems you end up with if you impose super extreme measures like banning weddings, shutting bars restaurants etc and try to impose these measures for any real length of time. There will be a point where life isn’t worth living for most people and they will not care about a virus that very likely will not kill them. If you try and enforce it militarily then you create a much bigger problem than the initial problem.
 

I was simply trying to point out that those predicting doomsday scenarios are wide of the mark, because such a reaction is not proportionate to the threat.

 

 Yet countries are going into lockdown, experts are saying it is really dangerous and our own prime minister is saying family members are going to die before their team.

It seems to be Joe Bloggs on the internet who are saying it is not dangerous, it is just a bit of flu. The country has pretty much ignored the advice coming from the government and rejected herd immunity. No one knows how bad this virus is yet, we don't know if you can be re-infected. You are even contemplating getting infected just to get it out the way. That is utterly ludicrous. Why on earth would you get yourself infected with a virus which could kill you? Not even that, you could pass it on to other people who could be in more danger of losing their life, just because you were being selfish and thinking about yourself.

We don't know how dangerous this virus is yet. It has nowhere near peak. The figures mean nothing, there is absolutely no way of validating them. No one knows how many have died in China, Iran are digging mass graves, it is getting totally out of control in Italy.

What we need is time. Time to learn more about the virus, time to prepare the NHS, time to get our heads round things and find solutions.

Yes when we look back in years to come, it may seem we have over reacted. I would much rather we over react though than look back in years to come and regret the loss of life of hundreds of thousands or possibly millions, as we thought it was just a bit of flu.

It needs people to be sensible, take precautions, if we have to make a few sacrifices to the way we live our lives, then so be it. 

Can I ask if you went and got yourself infected, would you then totally isolate for 2 weeks? I have to say, purposely getting yourself infected with a virus that could kill you is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. How do you know that you do not have any underlying health problems? 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

No, I’m very serious. You’ve been spouting doomsday scenarios on here yet have ignored government advice so contributed to them. You were talking yesterday about being concerned about certain family members, have you been in contact with them?

It's very unlikely that Matt has it. The government advice to stay at home for a fever and a cold literally only came in on Wednesday, he is saying he felt shit before that. I too have had coldy symptoms on and off but nothing that sounds quite like the virus. The advice until now has been to carry on as normal. As I said in the other thread my partner had a horrendous flu thing a couple of weeks back and when he called 111, not only did they tell him it probably wasn't it, they suggested he go to a medical centre to get tested for something else, so the medical advice then really wasn't to self isolate for any kind of cold. That's very recent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

 Yet countries are going into lockdown, experts are saying it is really dangerous and our own prime minister is saying family members are going to die before their team.

It seems to be Joe Bloggs on the internet who are saying it is not dangerous, it is just a bit of flu. The country has pretty much ignored the advice coming from the government and rejected herd immunity. No one knows how bad this virus is yet, we don't know if you can be re-infected. You are even contemplating getting infected just to get it out the way. That is utterly ludicrous. Why on earth would you get yourself infected with a virus which could kill you? Not even that, you could pass it on to other people who could be in more danger of losing their life, just because you were being selfish and thinking about yourself.

We don't know how dangerous this virus is yet. It has nowhere near peak. The figures mean nothing, there is absolutely no way of validating them. No one knows how many have died in China, Iran are digging mass graves, it is getting totally out of control in Italy.

What we need is time. Time to learn more about the virus, time to prepare the NHS, time to get our heads round things and find solutions.

Yes when we look back in years to come, it may seem we have over reacted. I would much rather we over react though than look back in years to come and regret the loss of life of hundreds of thousands or possibly millions, as we thought it was just a bit of flu.

It needs people to be sensible, take precautions, if we have to make a few sacrifices to the way we live our lives, then so be it. 

Can I ask if you went and got yourself infected, would you then totally isolate for 2 weeks? I have to say, purposely getting yourself infected with a virus that could kill you is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. How do you know that you do not have any underlying health problems? 

Read all my posts on it please 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

No, I’m very serious. You’ve been spouting doomsday scenarios on here yet have ignored government advice so contributed to them. You were talking yesterday about being concerned about certain family members, have you been in contact with them?

No I live in London totally away from all of my family. I’ve not seen them in over a month. I won’t be going to see them as planned in Easter if things get much much worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

The virus really isn't incredibly dangerous. Have you not ready any of the stats? The overwhelming majority recover with no ill effects. Some don't even know they've had it.

Why are so many people on here wallowing in self misery?

For me, my concern is not for my own health but for the health of my parents and that of other people's older relatives. That isn't self misery. It's a reality unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's very unlikely that Matt has it. The government advice to stay at home for a fever and a cold literally only came in on Wednesday, he is saying he felt shit before that. I too have had coldy symptoms on and off but nothing that sounds quite like the virus. The advice until now has been to carry on as normal. As I said in the other thread my partner had a horrendous flu thing a couple of weeks back and when he called 111, not only did they tell him it probably wasn't it, they suggested he go to a medical centre to get tested for something else, so the medical advice then really wasn't to self isolate for any kind of cold. That's very recent.

Exactly @Deaf Nobby Burton. I’ve mainly had a couple of days in the past week and yesterday where I’ve felt a bit under the weather but nothing that makes me think “yup I’ve definitely got it”. Which means there is 0 point in me calling 111 as I’d be one to overload them.

I haven’t been in work on Thursday and Friday and I don’t know what our policy is going to be like on Monday morning. Can’t you see that for those with very mild symptoms they are left in a bit of limbo? It’s hard to know if you’re putting a foot right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So my sister-in-law has it we’ve found out recently and all of the family that were there have now been ill to an extent.

111 said just to assume we all have it and have been self-isolating for the last few days. Everyone has had similar symptoms to varying degrees but at the worst it seems to be a nasty cold. Personally I was pretty ill for 2 days and now I’m fine.

Isolating ourselves for the next week under advice from the government just so we don’t infect anyone but that’s pretty much it, the intense boredom of being trapped in the house is probably worse than the actual illness tbh

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

This wiki on the Spanish flu is terrifying, I read it last week. BUT, I think it is widely accepted that the war and conditions also played a big part so for the anxious out there keep that in mind. 
 

flus generally mutate into less deadly strains from what I’ve read as it becomes widespread. Obviously nobody truly knows how this will go but I think that’s the current theory. 

Quick lesson on virology. You're right. The virus goes through millions of lifecycles and eventually will mutate and that mutated version will be passed on. 

So usually if a virus is more deadly, it has less of a chance of being passed on  because the host dies and the virus dies before spreading. If the opposite happens it becomes less deadly but more widespread, similar to the common cold, which also can be caused by a type of corona virus. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly @Deaf Nobby Burton. I’ve mainly had a couple of days in the past week and yesterday where I’ve felt a bit under the weather but nothing that makes me think “yup I’ve definitely got it”. Which means there is 0 point in me calling 111 as I’d be one to overload them.

I haven’t been in work on Thursday and Friday and I don’t know what our policy is going to be like on Monday morning. Can’t you see that for those with very mild symptoms they are left in a bit of limbo? It’s hard to know if you’re putting a foot right. 

Yeah completely agree that it's tricky. I've had a mild cough but no fever. Will be working from home mainly anyway, but should I be self isolating more than that?

After chatting to friends though I think I am going to avoid my parents for a bit. Was going to see my mum on mother's day but I just don't think it's worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly @Deaf Nobby Burton. I’ve mainly had a couple of days in the past week and yesterday where I’ve felt a bit under the weather but nothing that makes me think “yup I’ve definitely got it”. Which means there is 0 point in me calling 111 as I’d be one to overload them.

I haven’t been in work on Thursday and Friday and I don’t know what our policy is going to be like on Monday morning. Can’t you see that for those with very mild symptoms they are left in a bit of limbo? It’s hard to know if you’re putting a foot right. 

You may well not have it, but I assume you’re pretty young? Even in older people it can be largely symptomless or very mild, so it’s possible.

Either way you shouldn’t be spreading doomsday scenarios when you yourself have had the thought in the back of your mind you might have it, but have still been going round living life normally.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, sime said:

Did you read the article? He was cleared of the virus. Different strain? Possibly. But he was initially cleared.

Loads of evidence of people being tested clear and the positive after. It’s a deep lung infection, so nasal swabs not reliable.

im not on here spouting for a laugh. I’ve read so much on this over the last couple of months...obsessively some might say.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Has anyone on here suffered the symptoms yet, or know of others who have?
 

Despite my home town having on record 3 cases, I now learn someone I know has possible symptoms, and a further 7 connected to them are self-isolating too. With testing limited, it may appear we don’t really know the current extent of infection at all.

 

A fellow remote worker was just off work for a couple of days, initially with a dry cough an elevated temperature, which then developed into "flu".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah many young people are asymptomatic which is the issue and the whole reason for social distancing. If you're having any symptoms at all you may have it and be spreading it. 

It sucks to call in sick or work from home when you dont really know... but if you're questioning it and have some of the correct symptoms, theres a good chance it could be it.

If you've been in contact with other people who have it... I would say 100% you have it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and for those that laid into me about the blitz comment - here you go - your elected health secretary for the nation has just likened it to it - as reported on the bbc and in the telegraph today...

 

510CA319-6327-49C6-BCE5-2F9F59D9F2F0.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...