Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

17 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Do you think countries are shutting down their entire way of life and tanking their economies because of a virus that is in fact not that dangerous?

That’s confusing two issues isn’t it? On paper and based on all the stats we have the virus isn’t that dangerous is it?

There are currently amongst a population of nearly 8 billion 5600 people in a critical condition from it:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The main danger comes from the Impact of the measures taken to control it and not the actual virus itself.

The point I was making which I think is pretty clear, is the bigger problems you end up with if you impose super extreme measures like banning weddings, shutting bars restaurants etc and try to impose these measures for any real length of time. There will be a point where life isn’t worth living for most people and they will not care about a virus that very likely will not kill them. If you try and enforce it militarily then you create a much bigger problem than the initial problem.

I was simply trying to point out that those predicting doomsday scenarios are wide of the mark, because such a reaction is not proportionate to the threat.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

I was having a conversation with a friend who works in care so she’s on the frontline of this crisis. 

She made the point that there is a huge fuss being made about this virus because it’s affecting the developed world. 

Over a million people a year die because of Malaria. 

Why aren’t we making the same fuss about that?

Mrs c is a home carer, all her clients are at least 80 and extremely frail, incontinent, asthmatic etc.  Because of this crazy stockpiling and panic buying we can’t get basic soap, sanitisers, wipes etc that these old folk need. I’ve been round all the chemists trying to get supplies for these very vulnerable people only to hear anecdotal evidence that families are arriving and each of the family members buying their ration, even their kids queuing up. 

The problem is now even those folk who are responsible and don’t want to panic buy are now having to join this madness or be left with nothing. The lack,of social responsibility by a small section of the population may actually increase the rate of transmission. I suppose it’s just human nature. 

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s incredibly dangerous and there’s no guarantee that it will work either. 

This virus is here to stay and we have to adapt to it and survive the same as we have with any other virus over the centuries. 

The virus really isn't incredibly dangerous. Have you not ready any of the stats? The overwhelming majority recover with no ill effects. Some don't even know they've had it.

Why are so many people on here wallowing in self misery?

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

The virus really isn't incredibly dangerous. Have you not ready any of the stats? The overwhelming majority recover with no ill effects. Some don't even know they've had it.

Yeah, the whole world is over reacting. It's fine.

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

Tanking the economy and shutting down the country is incredibly dangerous. 

Just now, Ommadawn said:

The danger is that if left unchecked it completely overwhelms the health service - that's then has a cascade effect, essentially we'd be living without a health service for other conditions for months

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CraigMichaelRoach said:

Stay positive - 

Matt Hancock: size of gatherings don't matter, just stay home if you're unwell

Asked about the prospect of cancelling mass gatherings, as other European countries have, Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary said: "It doesn't matter how big the gathering is, what matters is that people who have the illness aren't spreading it and stay home."

When did he say this though?

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's ok, Dominc Cummings is in charge and he's really clever.

I can imagine that sleazeball will be working out the savings he could make in pensions and care if the elderly are seriously affected. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

The danger is that if left unchecked it completely overwhelms the health service - that's then has a cascade effect, essentially we'd be living without a health service for other conditions for months

This!

yes, it’s entirely true that most people will die of something else. But there’s not going to be a pause on all other needs for hospitalisation and critical care. 

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but also, if what many are saying about herd immunity being impossible, then a vaccine whenever it comes is not a paneca and humanity is going to be dealing with covid-19 for eternity.

This is, I'm afraid, a possibility. Could change the way we live permanently.

What happened to the Spanish flu, just died out naturally?

Has anyone on here suffered the symptoms yet, or know of others who have?

Despite my home town having on record 3 cases, I now learn someone I know has possible symptoms, and a further 7 connected to them are self-isolating too. With testing limited, it may appear we don’t really know the current extent of infection at all.

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

With testing limited, it may appear we don’t really know the current extent of infection at all.

while that's true, the relationship in our numbers between cases and deaths are in the same ball park as most other countries.

Where the death rate is far higher - such as in Italy and the USA - there's very definitely a much bigger undetected problem than the likes of the UK has.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is, I'm afraid, a possibility. Could change the way we live permanently.

What happened to the Spanish flu, just died out naturally?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

Grim reading, different times of course. There is a suggestion that Spanish flu just died out as it mutated into less deadly strains.

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Has anyone on here suffered the symptoms yet, or know of others who have?

Despite my home town having on record 3 cases, I now learn someone I know has possible symptoms, and a further 7 connected to them are self-isolating too. With testing limited, it may appear we don’t really know the current extent of infection at all.

My sis in law and kids currently have a cough and achey muscles. Could be it to be honest. I would expect many many people have got it or had it in the last couple of months, and it’s probably been a lot more widespread in that time. 

1 minute ago, oneeye said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

Grim reading, different times of course. There is a suggestion that Spanish flu just died out as it mutated into less deadly strains.

This wiki on the Spanish flu is terrifying, I read it last week. BUT, I think it is widely accepted that the war and conditions also played a big part so for the anxious out there keep that in mind. 

flus generally mutate into less deadly strains from what I’ve read as it becomes widespread. Obviously nobody truly knows how this will go but I think that’s the current theory.