Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

If August, for example, became a viable option to reschedule and they can find a weekend where the vast majority of acts are available and there isn't a clash with another major festival - I'm sure they'd opt for that if June can't be done. Easily the best outcome

13 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

@Funkyfairy! not aimed at your brother specifically but at small businesses in general. 

How sustainable is this? Great that the staff are getting paid now but if it means the business collapses then those staff and the community suffer anyway especially long term. It will vary for country to country but the governments need to step in and support the smaller companies instead of putting it all on to the owners of the business otherwise economic collapse will be unavoidable. 

As the owner of a small business in the tourism industry in England, it's not sustainable at all.  It's already a disaster.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Work are telling me that I have to come into the office three days a week as I am low risk. I don’t have to come in on Fridays and I can choose my other work from home day as I please.

The office is empty. Anyone over a certain age or condition has to work from home no questions asked. 

The younger members of staff have to commit to a certain amount of days in the office.

Dunno how long this will last but I guess it’s good to get out the house tbh. 

We've just been informed that people will start to be phased out, although there is no real plan for how that will work.

I'm pretty sure the first thing the festival has to do is go tell all the farms and council that they want to reschedule it, thus bringing up the licening thigns again.

I'm sure it would be met with a big 'we don't know what is happening next week, let alone in a few months' 

I personally have more hope that the festival will go ahead, than be rescheduled. Its far too big of an ordeal.

Our governments have spent the last sixty years spending billions on nuclear weapons. Their reasoning has always been that in the extremely remote possibility of an attack we would have a deterrent and the ability to fight back. Everyone will have their opinion on that.  Well, these governments have always known there is a possibility of a pandemic, history has shown that, so why havnt successive governments planned properly? Why have no back up respirators, no mothballed intensive care units, field hospitals etc been held in reserve.  We had the sight of the health minister pleading for the companies that make respirators to make them ASAP.  If they can stockpile nuclear weapons then they can stockpile and update when required medical equipment needed in an emergency.  Just my humble opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, mufcok said:

If August, for example, became a viable option to reschedule and they can find a weekend where the vast majority of acts are available and there isn't a clash with another major festival - I'm sure they'd opt for that if June can't be done. Easily the best outcome

Don't think the other landowners would agree. Animals need feeding, crops sorting. If you had a muddy year the fields wouldn't recover well before the onset of autumn. Farmers work to the seasons so I wouldn't think they'd go for this. Unless hugely compensated but still the argument of cattle getting the chance to graze naturally. 😀

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

The death toll in Italy is so high due to them not having the resources to treat everyone. Critical care beds per 100,000 - Germany - 29 - Italy - 12 - UK - 7. 7 critical care beds per one hundred thousand people. That’s an absolute disgrace. 

Tories gonna Tory. Who votes for these clowns?

37 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

As the owner of a small business in the tourism industry in England, it's not sustainable at all.  It's already a disaster.

Hopefully the forum might be able to rally round and get you some bookings once this has all subsided ... good luck 

Just popping in to say things have changed drastically where I live in the last week. I'm working from home indefinitely and my city has recommended to not leave the house unless it is absolutely necessary. 

There's a chance a state of emergency and lockdown are being announced today.

I was really looking forward to having to great time with all of you this year, but this really isn't looking like it. Hope to see you in the future when we can go back to talking about if Foals will headline!

12 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Just popping in to say things have changed drastically where I live in the last week. I'm working from home indefinitely and my city has recommended to not leave the house unless it is absolutely necessary. 

There's a chance a state of emergency and lockdown are being announced today.

I was really looking forward to having to great time with all of you this year, but this really isn't looking like it. Hope to see you in the future when we can go back to talking about if Foals will headline!

They are not going to lock you down for 3 months....  keep your head up thing will be a lot clearer in a few weeks. 

My company haven’t actually made a call on what to do with us yet but as there are around 400 of us just in sales alone, it’s risky. We are driving around pubs all day every day. If 1 of us were to have it for example we could realistically be responsible for passing it on to hundreds of others if I’m visiting about 40 pubs a week.

Although I suppose this is the same for every company.

Something as simple as not being able to source any hand-sanitiser for the toilets could scupper the festival. I'm sure the whoever holds the contract to clean the toilets would have to order this item well in advance and the suppliers will be directing it else where currently.

How do you engage in this chat anymore without being negative. Genuinely.

I’ve drafted many posts and just deleted them because I don’t know what the point is anymore. We’ve hit a point where being realistic and being a doomsayer have become hard to distinguish. 

24 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Our governments have spent the last sixty years spending billions on nuclear weapons. Their reasoning has always been that in the extremely remote possibility of an attack we would have a deterrent and the ability to fight back. Everyone will have their opinion on that.  Well, these governments have always known there is a possibility of a pandemic, history has shown that, so why havnt successive governments planned properly? Why have no back up respirators, no mothballed intensive care units, field hospitals etc been held in reserve.  We had the sight of the health minister pleading for the companies that make respirators to make them ASAP.  If they can stockpile nuclear weapons then they can stockpile and update when required medical equipment needed in an emergency.  Just my humble opinion. 

Very well said - couldn’t agree more.  This sort of thing was just a matter of when, not if, and the lack of contingency planning is a disgrace.

1 minute ago, idb said:

Something as simple as not being able to source any hand-sanitiser for the toilets could scupper the festival. I'm sure the whoever holds the contract to clean the toilets would have to order this item well in advance and the suppliers will be directing it else where currently.

Can’t believe the current situation and people are believing that not getting any hand sanitiser is the actual problem 

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Any bookings at all for this upcoming week?

We're closed at the moment, unrelated fo the virus. But since the beginning of the month, bookings for this year have all but dried up. 

We've had to hastily come up with a new business plan!

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

They are not going to lock you down for 3 months....  keep your head up thing will be a lot clearer in a few weeks. 

As it stands lockdowns are only enforceable for 28 days. I think they are trying to change that though. Can’t find the source on this.