Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This is my main concern now. Most health experts and people like Piers Morgan whipping people up into a frenzy can afford to talk in absolutes. They’re only looking at things from the point of view of stopping the virus and absolutely nothing else. Most of the population don’t have that luxury. These extreme measures of everything shutting down can only be short and sharp, anything beyond that and we will end up a situation where the consequences are significantly worse for the vast majority of people compared to just letting the virus run its course. I’d rather catch the virus and it kill me than see my life go down the toilet in every way possible. The potential fall out from this is no way to live.

You know what, it’s going to be shit for the over 70s to try and isolate for months, but the reality is they can do it without their lives falling apart.

I can’t and neither can the majority of the working population.

This opened my eyes to something I hadn't thought of - those of us who are pretty much staying in (because we can) are contributing to this economic mess. We're not consuming - essentially locking ourselves down without official lockdowns is going to bring this country to its knees in an economic sense. 

It's a huge huge mess for the government - they're in limbo, loads of us are just ignoring them and staying put anyway, but for their plan to work, we need to continue to contribute to society. 

But by doing that we're putting lives at risk immediately. By not, we're putting lives at risk from the economic situation in the near future. 

I currently live with my over 60s parents so im taking the short term view and wont be taking risks with their lives but I'm aware of the impact of too many of us doing that. There are no right answers, despite me spending a week saying the government is wrong...

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It was similar to that, only half the workforce in at any one time, but the plan lasted a day and was overridden by the chairman saying to all stay home from four weeks over the weekend. It never got implemented but was going to be everyone doing a few days from home each week, never crossing over with the other team.

My partner is doing what your workforce is doing, but one week in one week out. Wouldn't be surprised if they change that to everyone staying home though.

We live in London so that might have influenced it as tube etc is obviously high-risk for transmission.

We only have one desk and a very small flat in the process of being decorated so today I am literally working on my lap while he has the desk.

I think part of the reason they are doing it this way for us is because of the strain on the VPN network with everyone working from home. Apparently for people that are at home it’s pretty slow already!

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'm about 95% it's going to be cancelled or postponed at this point. The one thing that's giving me hope is I struggle to see the whole country (and world, for that matter) being in "lockdown" for such a prolonged period that all events are still off in June. Glastonbury may well have to cancel/postpone due to the logistics, policing, medical care etc, (and the decision may be to allow smaller, lower risk events to go forward but not huge festivals) but countries being in lockdown for 3+ months would be an utter disaster for the economy (and subsequently people's health) and also people's mental health. At some point they will need to decide which is the lesser of two evils, which is a horrible decision to make, but come June the argument may be the prolonged economical and social damage is greater than the benefit from cancelling events.

The strain of the festival on the local police and NHS will be the biggest issue I think.

Agreed. I feel there is no chance the country can be in lockdown still in June... the crash to the economy (bigger than 2008) and loss of jobs/lives would ultimately be a bigger disaster than just letting the virus do what it wants. 

The problem for me comes down to when they annouce limits would be lifted... Glasto need a long time to set up.... will they have the time to get it all set up?  If the government told us they will lift restrictions at X date then plans could possibly be made but its all very very if buts and maybes... 

I have a horrible feeling that the restrictions on events will be lifted in June but it will be too late for glasto to have the time to set up properly. 

24 minutes ago, ilikesimpsons said:

If it makes you feel any better, my parents are in Bali at the moment and it’s not quite the holiday they hoped for.

They got to Gilli T this morning to be told there’s no more boats back to Bali for 2 weeks. Lots of upset phone calls this morning, think they’re managing to sort a boat to Lombok, a flight back to Bali and they’re just going to get the rest of their luggage and get on the next flight out.

Trying not to think about what happens if the situation changes in the time they’re doing that. Was silly them going away in the first place I guess. But yeah hopefully that’ll make you feel validated in cancelling. 

Fingers crossed for June & hopefully you can rebook your honeymoon when all this is done.

My brother part owns 5 dive centres in Bali, Gilis' etc, and its dire for them out there with tourism. Right decision for your parents, but the flip side is the tourist industry will be in tatters when if comes back - bro's worked so so hard to build a good business, and now has to put all his staff (90% are local) on 50% wage for the next few months in order for the company to survive (it had already been walloped due to the volcano). For the staff that will be the difference between eating just rice every day, or being able to buy a chicken to have with the rice. Most of them work to keep extended families. Wish your parents well returning and if they can afford to tip a few locals on the way out for good service , then it could make a lot of difference for a few weeks

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

Agreed. I feel there is no chance the country can be in lockdown still in June... the crash to the economy (bigger than 2008) and loss of jobs/lives would ultimately be a bigger disaster than just letting the virus do what it wants. 

The problem for me comes down to when they annouce limits would be lifted... Glasto need a long time to set up.... will they have the time to get it all set up?  If the government told us they will lift restrictions at X date then plans could possibly be made but its all very very if buts and maybes... 

I have a horrible feeling that the restrictions on events will be lifted in June but it will be too late for glasto to have the time to set up properly. 

It does feel to me like Glastonbury is about 4-6 weeks early. 

Maybe that will be a consideration they make when looking at options? The more I think about it, the more I think a postponement could be possible. I'd probably have it at only 15% chance of happening, but seeing other festivals going with that option makes me think they will seriously be looking at it. They may be able to just hold tight for a couple more weeks and see what the situation is, and then move forward with a 2 month postponement. Late August/early Sept Glasto would be pretty ace. 

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Maybe that will be a consideration they make when looking at options? The more I think about it, the more I think a postponement could be possible. I'd probably have it at only 15% chance of happening, but seeing other festivals going with that option makes me think they will seriously be looking at it. They may be able to just hold tight for a couple more weeks and see what the situation is, and then move forward with a 2 month postponement. Late August/early Sept Glasto would be pretty ace. 

I'd say early mid August myself - september could be really cold at night, not the most comfortable and perhaps health implications on that too? On the flip side it could be a glorious 30 degrees again but without the humidity...

14 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Where do you think the festival medical crew work the rest of the year?

I wasn't sure to be honest, no need to be smarmy.

Someone else mentioned that in a decent way.

I have been a nurse in the NHS for 6 years so I am aware of the pressures.

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

I'd say early mid August myself - september could be really cold at night, not the most comfortable and perhaps health implications on that too? On the flip side it could be a glorious 30 degrees again but without the humidity...

I wouldn't really be complaining if I had to watch Taylor in a hoodie and long johns 😂 

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

September festival would be great. This is last year in angelsey on 19th September, perfect Glastonbury weather 👍 am and pm pics 

IMG_20190919_091723_1.jpg

IMG_20190918_184912.jpg

Edited by gazzared

13 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

This opened my eyes to something I hadn't thought of - those of us who are pretty much staying in (because we can) are contributing to this economic mess. We're not consuming - essentially locking ourselves down without official lockdowns is going to bring this country to its knees in an economic sense. 

It's a huge huge mess for the government - they're in limbo, loads of us are just ignoring them and staying put anyway, but for their plan to work, we need to continue to contribute to society. 

But by doing that we're putting lives at risk immediately. By not, we're putting lives at risk from the economic situation in the near future. 

I currently live with my over 60s parents so im taking the short term view and wont be taking risks with their lives but I'm aware of the impact of too many of us doing that. There are no right answers, despite me spending a week saying the government is wrong...

Exactly this. I feel that there needs to be a measured response for this reason. I personally work from home and if I need to would have no problem self-isolating but I have continued going out to support local businesses but I have seen a few people complain now and say it is selfish to stay home whereas others are saying that people need to support local businesses. For me it seems obvious that if you are high risk or in contact with those who are you should self-isolate but those of us who are healthy and would probably get through this without needing any medical intervention should go out and support local businesses or else they will go under and people will lose jobs and we already know that austerity measures have killed more people than Corona virus. 

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Setting up major clashes with other festivals then. 

Leeds/Reading, Bestival, Bingley Fest. Not just the bands but the staff and stall holders. 

Aye, it would absolutely be a headache. Hard to imagine how they could pull off a typical Glastonbury, and it may not even possible. I imagine they're exploring the possibilities though.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

It would be great if they could just postpone it a few weeks.... I find that unlikely though due to the size of the festival, the logistics of everything and the locals being arsey... 

As it stands im still hoping social distancing comes in this week with an end date attached... hopefully 4 weeks taking us to mid April ish. To be honest even they put an actual date on it for mid May for mass gatherings the potential is still there for them to build the site and it still go ahead. It is all about having definitive dates and time lines of the governments plans. 

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Mid august will be warmer at night than late June. Even if it is colder as long as people take appropriate measures it’s not an issue. I camped at 4500m in Peru last year, low oxygen plus minus Celsius temperatures but I was roasty toasty because I had the appropriate sleeping bag, in fact at one point I had to take clothes off because I was too hot.

8 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

My brother part owns 5 dive centres in Bali, Gilis' etc, and its dire for them out there with tourism. Right decision for your parents, but the flip side is the tourist industry will be in tatters when if comes back - bro's worked so so hard to build a good business, and now has to put all his staff (90% are local) on 50% wage for the next few months in order for the company to survive (it had already been walloped due to the volcano). For the staff that will be the difference between eating just rice every day, or being able to buy a chicken to have with the rice. Most of them work to keep extended families. Wish your parents well returning and if they can afford to tip a few locals on the way out for good service , then it could make a lot of difference for a few weeks

If there’s one thing my stepdad has never been good at doing, it’s working out the exchange rate 😂 He’ll of either tipped incredibly well or badly, hopefully the first.

Kudos to your brother for not just laying staff off. What’s his dive school called? I went to gilli about 5 years ago, would love to go back one day, if I do will check his place out. 

I really can't see it being postponed. There's too many things that go into place.

All the volunteers.
All the stages, the crews for those stages.
The medical, the police and other such staff.
All the late night areas, the DJs for those areas, the crews. 
The bands in general for the stages.
BBC dedicating a weekend to it.
All the licensing that goes on in the town, from the different farms that rent out their spaces, that are working farms.
The actual licence on the site.

There's far too many things in play to just say 'okay we'll put it on in 2 months time' for it to perhaps still be cancelled. I know we all like saying that Glastonbury is more than just a festival, but it is, it could have no bands on the top 5 main stages and still be a bigger infrastructure than any other festival that happens over the summer. 

10 minutes ago, Havors said:

It would be great if they could just postpone it a few weeks.... I find that unlikely though due to the size of the festival, the logistics of everything and the locals being arsey... 

As it stands im still hoping social distancing comes in this week with an end date attached... hopefully 4 weeks taking us to mid April ish. To be honest even they put an actual date on it for mid May for mass gatherings the potential is still there for them to build the site and it still go ahead. It is all about having definitive dates and time lines of the governments plans. 

Oh it would be a huge challenge. The reason I'm keeping that option open in my head is that we're in extremely unprecedented times, and we're going to see a lot of very bizarre and creative solutions (see discussions about football, for one!) I really wouldn't rule out anything at this point - all options are on the table I think.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ilikesimpsons said:

Kudos to your brother for not just laying staff off

@Funkyfairy! not aimed at your brother specifically but at small businesses in general. 

How sustainable is this? Great that the staff are getting paid now but if it means the business collapses then those staff and the community suffer anyway especially long term. It will vary for country to country but the governments need to step in and support the smaller companies instead of putting it all on to the owners of the business otherwise economic collapse will be unavoidable. 

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I really can't see it being postponed. There's too many things that go into place.

All the volunteers.
All the stages, the crews for those stages.
The medical, the police and other such staff.
All the late night areas, the DJs for those areas, the crews. 
The bands in general for the stages.
BBC dedicating a weekend to it.
All the licensing that goes on in the town, from the different farms that rent out their spaces, that are working farms.
The actual licence on the site.

Exactly the reason why it won't go ahead. GF sucking up valuable front line staff for a few songs in a field is hardly a priority. 

"We need to treble the medical staff for this year"

"There are people dying in hospitals"

"But.... but... the Efests meet.."

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Oh it would be a huge challenge. The reason I'm keeping that option open in my head is that we're in extremely unprecedented times, and we're going to see a lot of very bizarre and creative solutions (see discussions about football, for one!) I really wouldn't rule out anything at this point - all options are on the table I think.

it does feel that a lot of stuff is being postponed until sept - think its going to be a busy month!

Work are telling me that I have to come into the office three days a week as I am low risk. I don’t have to come in on Fridays and I can choose my other work from home day as I please.

The office is empty. Anyone over a certain age or condition has to work from home no questions asked. 

The younger members of staff have to commit to a certain amount of days in the office.

Dunno how long this will last but I guess it’s good to get out the house tbh.