Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Oh I'm far from sure that being over the worst of it means it'll definitely happen. I just think it's interesting that most people seem to have gone from being certain it'll happen to certain it won't despite events following the expected path. People seem to have a binary switch in their heads rather than dealing with uncertainty, that switch also seems to respond to the situation in front of their noses rather than expert predictions.

Binary switches are a pretty good description of how the brain operates.....!!

50 minutes ago, mcshed said:

The funny thing is a few weeks ago most people where pretty confident things would go ahead as everything here was fine. Now things have worsened and it's starting to genuinely get worse here most people are now on the other side and think it will be cancelled, this is despite things moving pretty much in line with expert predictions all the way through. Those predictions think we'll be over the worst of it by the end of June. The disruption during the build up and proximity of the festival to the end of the peak may well mean it doesn't go ahead but the facts have changed very little over the last couple of weeks.

This is what I keep saying. It’s going to get rough over the next few weeks but the worst will be over by June. 

I know this isn't exactly what this thread is for, but I need somewhere to have a little vent. I got married on Saturday (and had the most amazing day!) and now I'm sat stuck in several queues with insurance, airlines and hotels, trying to cancel our dream honeymoon. We were due to fly to Bali tomorrow but the FCO have now (rightly so) advised against all but essential travel to Indonesia. I guess the upside of that, is I *think* we are covered with our travel insurance, but I may never know since theres no one to answer the phones...

The very faint light at the end of the tunnel for me is Glastonbury, so I'm pleading that this virus disappears and never rears its ugly head again, so we can all have a laugh and dance about this in the fields in June. Much love to everyone through this difficult times, and stay safe x 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lacney said:

I know this isn't exactly what this thread is for, but I need somewhere to have a little vent. I got married on Saturday (and had the most amazing day!) and now I'm sat stuck in several queues with insurance, airlines and hotels, trying to cancel our dream honeymoon. We were due to fly to Bali tomorrow but the FCO have now (rightly so) advised against all but essential travel to Indonesia. I guess the upside of that, is I *think* we are covered with our travel insurance, but I may never know since theres no one to answer the phones...

The very faint light at the end of the tunnel for me is Glastonbury, so I'm pleading that this virus disappears and never rears its ugly head again, so we can all have a laugh and dance about this in the fields in June. Much love to everyone through this difficult times, and stay safe x 

Congratulaions X

1 minute ago, lacney said:

congrats on the wedding mate! sorry to hear of the travel issues, and keep positive that it will peak before june and we can still enjoy our week on the farm!

Just now, Madyaker said:

This is what I keep saying. It’s going to get rough over the next few weeks but the worst will be over by June. 

How do you know? We’re not taking the same precautions as other countries so it’s surely only going to spiral out of control here. We need to stop being asked nicely to do this and do that and be fucking told this is what needs to be done to save people’s lives. I’m starting to feel scared because we haven’t got a clue what’s going to happen, and the figures are terrifying when you consider the resources that the NHS have, the number of beds available etc many many people are going to die. The death toll in Italy is so high due to them not having the resources to treat everyone. Critical care beds per 100,000 - Germany - 29 - Italy - 12 - UK - 7. 7 critical care beds per one hundred thousand people. That’s an absolute disgrace. 

2 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

How do you know? We’re not taking the same precautions as other countries so it’s surely only going to spiral out of control here. We need to stop being asked nicely to do this and do that and be fucking told this is what needs to be done to save people’s lives. I’m starting to feel scared because we haven’t got a clue what’s going to happen, and the figures are terrifying when you consider the resources that the NHS have, the number of beds available etc many many people are going to die. The death toll in Italy is so high due to them not having the resources to treat everyone. Critical care beds per 100,000 - Germany - 29 - Italy - 12 - UK - 7. 7 critical care beds per one hundred thousand people. That’s an absolute disgrace. 

You're correct when you say nobody really knows if the worst will be over by June. But equally, the bold parts of your post are speculations or emotions rather than facts, which of themselves scare people. We're all worried, but clinging to hope - in this case that things may improve in order that a festival we all love can go ahead - isn't a bad  thing in times like these.

Stay healthy, follow advice, be kind to each other, and hope for the best. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

You're correct when you say nobody really knows if the worst will be over by June. But equally, the bold parts of your post are speculations or emotions rather than facts, which of themselves scare people. We're all worried, but clinging to hope - in this case that things may improve in order that a festival we all love can go ahead - isn't a bad  thing in times like these.

Stay healthy, follow advice, be kind to each other, and hope for the best. 

Look at how they’re treating people in Italy, they’re treating them on camp beds in car parks and due to the last fact that was stated that’s what will happen here when the figures start to rise and the NHS can’t cope. The country needs to start being proactive and lose it’s stubbornness because we need to do things “the British way”. I’m not a doctor nor a scientist so I understand that my opinion on this matter is not worth much.

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Reckless and inaccurate statements like this don’t help anybody 

In what way is a virus with an R0 of around 2.3, with now very limited testing (not even enough for NHS staff apparently), practically no contact tracing anymore and a government admitted 'up to 10k' cases as of last week not 'running wild'? 

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

"The government has got this all wrong, let's ignore them"

"Of course we'll all comply with a govt-ordered lockdown for six months."

I'm assuming it isnt happening now but I'm hoping I'm wrong. I personally dont think the lockdown will last more than 3/4 weeks. Once numbers (hopefully) go down, theyll say its under control and will advise washing hands

I’d say 100% you’re right

Today's update:

Don't think I am going to do these as frequently as they now take much longer than they did when I started. Probably move to every few days. This update is based on the change over the weekend from Thursday's figures, not Friday's.

• East Asia: Very little good news anywhere once again. China's cases continue to drop at least and they are on track to go under 10,000 cases soon. They fell by nearly 5,000 (10,058). South Korea seem to have stopped their crazy increases too. Since Thursday, they fell by around 200 (7,253). Pretty much everywhere else in East Asia saw increases though, and all a little more than we had been seeing. Malaysia the particular worry in the region as they grew by 250-ish (386).
  • Middle East: Iran continues to be out of control, increasing by 3,000 cases (8,624). Bahrain surprisingly went down though by 23 (167) due to a good number of recoveries. The rest of the region saw further growth but nothing too unexpected. Qatar continue to have high growth daily.
  • Europe: Europe is pretty much a complete disaster. Massive jumps from most of the larger countries. Italy grew by 10,000 cases since Thursday (20,603) which is incredible. Germany, France and Spain could all end up heading towards 10,000 cases this week too. Pretty much all of Western and Central Europe have worrying growth rates at the minute.
  • Africa: Africa's issue wasn't major growth in any particular country, but it was a lot of new countries having their first infections. Quite a large portion of the continent now have single figure cases. South Africa have also seen a fairly big increase to 61 cases.
  • South America: I think every country in the continent now has cases. Brazil, the first to have an infection, jumped by 150 to (199). Gradual growth elsewhere but Argentina reported the first recovery on the continent too in the only good news available (still saw an overall increase though).
  • Central America: Mexico, have started to see their numbers rise but nothing too dramatic yet. More central American countries had their first infections and also a lot of Caribbean islands had their first cases but no major outbreaks at this point.
  • North America: USA grew by around 2400 (3,693) and Canada grew by over 200 (329). Very few recoveries announced in both countries.
  • Rest of the World: Steady growth in Russia, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Australia. New Zealand still has very low numbers, just 8 cases at the minute.

30 minutes ago, lacney said:

If it makes you feel any better, my parents are in Bali at the moment and it’s not quite the holiday they hoped for.

They got to Gilli T this morning to be told there’s no more boats back to Bali for 2 weeks. Lots of upset phone calls this morning, think they’re managing to sort a boat to Lombok, a flight back to Bali and they’re just going to get the rest of their luggage and get on the next flight out.

Trying not to think about what happens if the situation changes in the time they’re doing that. Was silly them going away in the first place I guess. But yeah hopefully that’ll make you feel validated in cancelling. 

Fingers crossed for June & hopefully you can rebook your honeymoon when all this is done.

Edited by ilikesimpsons

50 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Slightly alarming information for those self isolators but it seems internet use is obviously higher in countries which are locked down and ISP’s are struggling to keep up. 

We’re likely to be suffering the same in the UK soon. This may be the cyber equivalent of stockpiling but I’d download boxsets, films, games etc now before our internet use is limited. Better to keep bandwidth open during isolation for those people who need it. 

Could also be a good time to do some old school gaming so starting buying board games too. Time to dust off that CD collection as we could be going back to a pre digital society for a while. 

FFS

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This is my main concern now. Most health experts and people like Piers Morgan whipping people up into a frenzy can afford to talk in absolutes. They’re only looking at things from the point of view of stopping the virus and absolutely nothing else. Most of the population don’t have that luxury. These extreme measures of everything shutting down can only be short and sharp, anything beyond that and we will end up a situation where the consequences are significantly worse for the vast majority of people compared to just letting the virus run its course. I’d rather catch the virus and it kill me than see my life go down the toilet in every way possible. The potential fall out from this is no way to live.

You know what, it’s going to be shit for the over 70s to try and isolate for months, but the reality is they can do it without their lives falling apart.

I can’t and neither can the majority of the working population.

Spot on. The Government know this too. I don’t envy some of the decisions they’ve got coming up but realistically they need everything getting back to normal ASAP.

I'm about 95% it's going to be cancelled or postponed at this point. The one thing that's giving me hope is I struggle to see the whole country (and world, for that matter) being in "lockdown" for such a prolonged period that all events are still off in June. Glastonbury may well have to cancel/postpone due to the logistics, policing, medical care etc, (and the decision may be to allow smaller, lower risk events to go forward but not huge festivals) but countries being in lockdown for 3+ months would be an utter disaster for the economy (and subsequently people's health) and also people's mental health. At some point they will need to decide which is the lesser of two evils, which is a horrible decision to make, but come June the argument may be the prolonged economical and social damage is greater than the benefit from cancelling events.

The strain of the festival on the local police and NHS will be the biggest issue I think.

45 minutes ago, lacney said:

My brother flew to Bali on Saturday morning with his girlfriend for a two week holiday which I thought was a little risky about getting home, although I suspect there are worse places to be stuck....

I think everyone is being affected by it in one way or another, I work for an events team and we've cancelled lots of things and spent the last few days undoing lots of work we've been doing for months.

I've lost money on train tickets as the football matches I'd booked them for have been postponed, was also due to go to Cyprus on 31st March for a week for my girlfriends birthday but now Cyprus have shut their border off so that's been cancelled and also like many others Glastonbury is in serious doubt now. BA have given us a voucher to use the flights at another date within 12 months, I got a full refund on car parking at Heathrow and luckily the villa is owned by our family so didn't lose out there either.

I have another stag do in Bratislava in May that looks like it will probably get cancelled, now we are on about having the stag do after my mates wedding!

Frustrating times for us all.

48 minutes ago, lacney said:

I'm getting married in June. Glastonbury was meant to be part of our honeymoon trip if we could get tickets in the resale. No idea if we will be able to even hold our wedding or go on a honeymoon. Not able to cancel or change flights as its just outside the window for free rebooking