Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

2 hours ago, nusha said:

New Order were here in Melbourne this weekend.  They were booked to play at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl on Saturday, which is an outdoor venue with 2000 seats and 10,000 standing.  They then announced a more intimate gig on the Sunday night at a 2,000 person indoor venue which is a great place with a sloped floor - not a bad view anywhere in the room and never far from the stage.  We  were really lucky to get Sunday tickets which sold out in less than a minute and sold our Saturday tix!!  Then.....on Friday our prime minister announced that gatherings of more than 500 should be avoided from Monday 16th (as he wanted to go to the footy at the weekend!)...all good we'd just snuck in....but then everywhere started to cancel shows and the pin was pulled on the Sunday night gig late on Friday night...with the Saturday gig to still go ahead. BUGGER!!  So I hopped on all of the ticket sites and many had been suspended then managed to bag 2 seats to the Saturday outdoor gig on ebay!!   Well, they were amazing and if that's the last gig I get to go to for a long time I went out with a bang!  A bit sad though...a real atmosphere of when will we get to do this again (band included) and as everyone was leaving the venue they played 'ít's the end of the world as we know it' by REM. 

Today they have cancelled Bluesfest which is a big music festival held over Easter and are closing the swimming pools, libraries and Gym's in Melbourne!  We're due to fly to the UK on 18th June and now I'm worried that we may not even be able to do that, let alone get to Glastonbury. 

The long term effect on the Music and entertainment industry is going to be massive. It will affect many other things I know but this will have a huge impact on this industry and we may lose some awesome venues as a result.  My son is studying sound engineering and gigs 5-6 times a month.  He's just moved out of home, signed a lease and now will lose a fair bit of income.   I know public health has to be the priority but it's very sad.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/music-festivals/coronavirus-47-million-as-music-events-cancelled/news-story/86955b9cd09933e2c92e52b81706796b

Praying for a very speedy flat curve and a steadfast Glastonbury team who won't pull the pin until they absolutely have to.

Stay safe everyone and lot's of handwashing!!!   

I live in Sydney and it's been mayhem here. I work at a small entertainment marketing company (Lasttix, obligatory plug) and we've spent all day today and Friday, and a bit over the weekend, trying to keep up with the flood of cancellations and postponements coming in. We've been told no marketing activity for the foreseeable future while we figure out what's going on. Now with Bluesfest and Vivid being cancelled, I'm legit concerned about the state of my job. We need the revenue from these events to stay afloat, and we always get a decent amount of content from BF, Vivid and Splendour to get us through the sluggish winter months... This is a massive hit being felt all over the world, but it's wild to see how quickly it's all happening. 

For me, Glastonbury being postponed/cancelled is a forgone conclusion. I love Glastonbury, and would still go at the height of the outbreak. That's the problem. 

I'm hoping that Glastonbury will offer the option of people leaving their deposits with them, to guarantee entry to the next festival. I'd even be happy to lose the deposit (but kept my ticket for the next year), if the funds are used to help compensate vendors / acts that are missing out on revenue. 

11 minutes ago, kabillion said:

For me, Glastonbury being postponed/cancelled is a forgone conclusion. I love Glastonbury, and would still go at the height of the outbreak. That's the problem. 

I'm hoping that Glastonbury will offer the option of people leaving their deposits with them, to guarantee entry to the next festival. I'd even be happy to lose the deposit (but kept my ticket for the next year), if the funds are used to help compensate vendors / acts that are missing out on revenue. 

I would be majorly shocked if a do the size of 200k has any chance of happening and it's not much hassle to call it off to then get it all started....not like they can get it all done in 2 weeks.

Morning Campers, news from the front line.

48 hrs since it went into isolation mode Nurse Lycra reports that her unit have still to receive a covid 19 patient. Several have been admitted query covid 19 but it turned out they are suffering from other corona viruses. All hospital visiting has been cancelled and staff from other units are being trained in barrier nursing respiratory care. 

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

Morning Campers, news from the front line.

48 hrs since it went into isolation mode Nurse Lycra reports that her unit have still to receive a covid 19 patient. Several have been admitted query covid 19 but it turned out they are suffering from other corona viruses. All hospital visiting has been cancelled and staff from other units are being trained in barrier nursing respiratory care. 

Similar story from a mate of mine who works in respiratory care. They’re all geared up but currently no patients. 

Currently of the opinion that:

• Glastonbury will go ahead, but at-risk groups will be asked not to attend, and may possibly be refused entry
  • Those showing any symptoms will be asked not to attend and be offered a refund, right up to gates opening
  • A second resale will occur much closer to the start of the festival
  • Many of the acts billed will pull out, including headliners
  • Other acts will step into the gap. Coldplay will win many people over
  • Medical attention will be filled by utilising a volunteer network
  • It will be unlike any Glastonbury Festival there's ever been. Ultimately it will restore faith in humanity

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

• Glastonbury will go ahead, but at-risk groups will be asked not to attend, and may possibly be refused entry
  • Those showing any symptoms will be asked not to attend and be offered a refund, right up to the gates opening 

How do you imagine these being enforced? Genuinely interested before the positivity crew jump down my throat.

Got a message from my work to work from home for the next four weeks instead of the staggered workforce thing they had been attempting. Pretty mad. I think they changed their mind over the weekend.

Haven't been able to get toilet roll in our supermarkets for over a week now. This really does bring out the worst in people. I saw two women carrying bin bags full of it on Saturday.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Haven't been able to get toilet roll in our supermarkets for over a week now. This really does bring out the worst in people. I saw two women carrying bin bags full of it on Saturday.

Amazon Prime. Same day delivery for toilet roll. £40 minimum order so I bought lots of beer too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Was it overpriced? Or normal prices? Thanks for the tip. My partner is going to attempt first thing this morning but failing that will try this.

Slightly more expensive but I don’t have to worry about wiping my arse for the next couple of months. 

We should feel for the smaller bands and musicians who already in jeopardy. A Welsh band I really like, Calan, have been forced to curtail their USA tour whilst they can still fly back to the UK. The extra flight costs means that they fear it is putting the future of the band in serious doubt. They’re also had to cancel their upcoming UK tour, which means losing that revenue plus merchandise sales. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Medical attention will be filled by utilising a volunteer network

This and the coppers - Glastonbury for all its happiness and chill is a well oiled professional machine running under them rules. And I don't think non-professionals can step in, and any professionals will be deployed elsewhere - like portaloos in 2012 (well, not exactly like that, at least not for the medical staff).

So, I change my mind yet again. I have two.

13 minutes ago, kalifire said:

• Those showing any symptoms will be asked not to attend and be offered a refund, right up to gates opening
  • A second resale will occur much closer to the start of the festival
  • Many of the acts billed will pull out, including headliners
  • Other acts will step into the gap. Coldplay will win many people over
  • Medical attention will be filled by utilising a volunteer network
  • It will be unlike any Glastonbury Festival there's ever been. Ultimately it will restore faith in humanity

I like your optimism but in reality 🤔 There are big counter arguments to every point you make. Glossing over mass gatherings banned, lack of medics etc, acts pulling out would be the final straw for this year's fest.

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

We should feel for the smaller bands and musicians who already in jeopardy. A Welsh band I really like, Calan, have been forced to curtail their USA tour whilst they can still fly back to the UK. The extra flight costs means that they fear it is putting the future of the band in serious doubt. They’re also had to cancel their upcoming UK tour, which means losing that revenue plus merchandise sales. 

This is going to be a nightmare for many...economy going to get totally screwed and many people will be left without work. Just have to hope the global economy bounces back quickly after worse of it has passed.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

When do you think they can leave final decision whether to cancel or go ahead?

I think they're waiting for the decision to be taken out of their hands by the government. Could be as early as this week, if reports are accurate. 

If the decision was theirs, I'm sure they'd want to do so before the resale date. I'd be surprised if they wanted to accept all of that revenue with so much doubt over the event. 

I'm not sure when they place orders with contractors ahead of the site build, I'd imagine they'd want to hold off doing that, too. Maybe it's all delicately balanced, waiting for the government's call? 

3 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

They’re shutting down Vegas now. 😐

At what point do they cut their losses to prevent the biggest crash in history.

I was chatting to an American friend and he thinks there’s going to be about 15 million workers getting laid off soon over there.