Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Not a good read that. Apart from this part which I will cling to:

“I think it will dip in the summer, towards the end of June, and come back in November, in the way that usual seasonal flu does. I think it will be around forever, but become less severe over time, as immunity builds up,” he added.

Confirmation enough for me that it’s on 😉

I’m a teacher and I just wish I knew what was happening with schools. Plans need to be put in place for so many things (learning, activities, food for those that get free school meals, advice etc) and I’m losing sleep thinking about vulnerable children I work with because school is all some of them have.

Whatever happens, fine. I just wish they would tell us so we could get ready in a more efficient way. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

The Guardian is reporting that the crisis will last in the UK till Spring 2021. Tonnes of different info floating about and no one knows for sure.

I would, however, guess that you coming from Australia for a music festival during this might be unlikely and unwise.

Was coming in here to post that guardian link. How are media companies allowed to get away with posting things like this? The shops are already in chaos from mad panic buying. Why are they striking the fear on this level in to everyone who will lap it up. they have absolutely no idea like the rest of us. And this pre-phase comment “Exclusive: Public Health England document seen by Guardian says four in five ‘expected’ to contract virus”. Yes ‘expected’ in inverted commas. Because once again they know absolutely nothing. 

4 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Was coming in here to post that guardian link. How are media companies allowed to get away with posting things like this? The shops are already in chaos from mad panic buying. Why are they striking the fear on this level in to everyone who will lap it up. they have absolutely no idea like the rest of us. And this pre-phase comment “Exclusive: Public Health England document seen by Guardian says four in five ‘expected’ to contract virus”. Yes ‘expected’ in inverted commas. Because once again they know absolutely nothing. 

It’s bollocks 

Got to say I’ve had an upturn in positivity. Not sure if it’s just cause I’ve stayed off social media and news sites for a day or two but it feels like a nice reprise anyway. 

Tomorrow may be another dip but I am beginning to be hopeful that if Eavii can hold off on a decision for a couple of weeks things might look a little brighter. 

Keep the faith! 

4 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

My sis works in a senior capacity in this area and was round for lunch today. Spent almost the whole day on work conference calls.  All events over 500 people will be banned in a few days. Event organisers who are showing no signs of cancelling are likely holding off for this policy to be officially announced as it will be favourable to them from an insurance / legal POV. Sorry I know it’s not what you want to hear but it’s what is happening now. I’d say in likelihood tickets will cary over as that’s what happens with 99% of other events. 

99% is probably pushing it slightly

7 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

My sis works in a senior capacity in this area and was round for lunch today. Spent almost the whole day on work conference calls.  All events over 500 people will be banned in a few days. Event organisers who are showing no signs of cancelling are likely holding off for this policy to be officially announced as it will be favourable to them from an insurance / legal POV. Sorry I know it’s not what you want to hear but it’s what is happening now. I’d say in likelihood tickets will cary over as that’s what happens with 99% of other events. 

No doubt they will ban them. Surely there’s still a large question mark over duration of ban though. It may be wishful thinking but there’s surely at least a chance everything will have improved in 1/2 months 

1 hour ago, ShakeyCrash said:

What about Germany? 11 or 12 deaths so far. What’s their secret?

Germany I think report deaths slightly differently. So in the UK (and other countries) anyone who dies after testing positive for corona virus counts towards the total number of deaths.

Germany on the other hand excludes those with underlying health conditions (as those conditions are deemed the cause of death, not the covid itself). So it has 11/12 deaths of people who were perfectly healthy aside from getting covid (and many more who died of underlying conditions but don’t count in their figures)

50 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

CDC Statement on large gatherings in the u.s. 

D2854E3C-4B1A-4E8E-A5F1-3B286B97CB0A.jpeg

EC4B3DCE-053E-4249-ADF7-57096A667384.jpeg

Second bit of positive news tonight, along with the BBC article about 95% of cases by end of May. 
Add that with Great Escape remaining confident on their Facebook page. 

Am definitely one of those who are ‘delusional’, but even my faith has faltered the last couple of days on here due to the dreariness. Nice to see some actual hope 😁

• Upvote 1

New Order were here in Melbourne this weekend.  They were booked to play at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl on Saturday, which is an outdoor venue with 2000 seats and 10,000 standing.  They then announced a more intimate gig on the Sunday night at a 2,000 person indoor venue which is a great place with a sloped floor - not a bad view anywhere in the room and never far from the stage.  We  were really lucky to get Sunday tickets which sold out in less than a minute and sold our Saturday tix!!  Then.....on Friday our prime minister announced that gatherings of more than 500 should be avoided from Monday 16th (as he wanted to go to the footy at the weekend!)...all good we'd just snuck in....but then everywhere started to cancel shows and the pin was pulled on the Sunday night gig late on Friday night...with the Saturday gig to still go ahead. BUGGER!!  So I hopped on all of the ticket sites and many had been suspended then managed to bag 2 seats to the Saturday outdoor gig on ebay!!   Well, they were amazing and if that's the last gig I get to go to for a long time I went out with a bang!  A bit sad though...a real atmosphere of when will we get to do this again (band included) and as everyone was leaving the venue they played 'ít's the end of the world as we know it' by REM. 

Today they have cancelled Bluesfest which is a big music festival held over Easter and are closing the swimming pools, libraries and Gym's in Melbourne!  We're due to fly to the UK on 18th June and now I'm worried that we may not even be able to do that, let alone get to Glastonbury. 

The long term effect on the Music and entertainment industry is going to be massive. It will affect many other things I know but this will have a huge impact on this industry and we may lose some awesome venues as a result.  My son is studying sound engineering and gigs 5-6 times a month.  He's just moved out of home, signed a lease and now will lose a fair bit of income.   I know public health has to be the priority but it's very sad.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/music-festivals/coronavirus-47-million-as-music-events-cancelled/news-story/86955b9cd09933e2c92e52b81706796b

Praying for a very speedy flat curve and a steadfast Glastonbury team who won't pull the pin until they absolutely have to.

Stay safe everyone and lot's of handwashing!!!   

Edited by nusha
added more text

Will Glastonbury be cancelled. Yes. Life as we know it just got cancelled. Virus is running wild through UK, and we're not being tested. No way of knowing who has it, the only option open to protect yourself now is social distance. I'm not waiting for the government to enforce lock down, I'm avoiding contact now. Already lost my job, I was teaching EFL in Austria. I loved my life, I was planning, when my contract finished, to go and lie on a beach in Asia. Saved enough for a couple of months travelling, before I started summer school in UK. Nice idea. 

Now I'm terrified for my family and friends, Europeans are taking this seriously, UK is worried about festivals..

Reminds me that 3 wks ago, my biggest concern was, where to park my fat white ass, for a couple months in the sun. 

Good luck people 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Second bit of positive news tonight, along with the BBC article about 95% of cases by end of May. 
Add that with Great Escape remaining confident on their Facebook page. 

Am definitely one of those who are ‘delusional’, but even my faith has faltered the last couple of days on here due to the dreariness. Nice to see some actual hope 😁

if you want to see how serious its gotten, Los Angeles Mayor just shut down all bars and clubs. Restaurants may only provide take away, delivery or drive thru service. Movie theaters and gyms also closed. Churches are urged to keep gatherings small since the county cannot infringe on federal law. Eviction moratorium is in place. Water and power will not be shut off. Grocery stores and pharmacies exempt of course. Social distancing is highly encouraged. Stop hoarding supplies, and supermarkets will be getting more and there will be plenty for everyone if nobody stockpiles. All this is in effect until At least March 31st.

3 hours ago, august1 said:

I think the next 72 hours will reveal a lot and possibly be in the nail in coffin of this years festival. Its incredible how fast moving this is. 

0.0020% of the population infected since the UK’s first case on 31/01/20. 

I’m not playing it down as it’s a serious situation,  but people need to stop believing every shred of nonsense they read; and also read the ‘COULD’ and ‘MIGHT’ that is in most articles posted here.

Lot of stuff being said about people wanting to remain hopeful as ‘delusional’ and downplaying everything. When people seem to be ramping up every aspect of what they read. 

6 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

if you want to see how serious its gotten, Los Angeles Mayor just shut down all bars and clubs. Restaurants may only provide take away, delivery or drive thru service. Movie theaters and gyms also closed. Churches are urged to keep gatherings small since the county cannot infringe on federal law. Eviction moratorium is in place. Water and power will not be shut off. Grocery stores and pharmacies exempt of course. Social distancing is highly encouraged. Stop hoarding supplies, and supermarkets will be getting more and there will be plenty for everyone if nobody stockpiles. All this is in effect until At least March 31st.

No, I agree with the measures. I was merely stating that the 8 weeks is a good measure on what we could get, although obviously could be extended further. 

4 hours ago, ModernMan said:

No doubt they will ban them. Surely there’s still a large question mark over duration of ban though. It may be wishful thinking but there’s surely at least a chance everything will have improved in 1/2 months 

Peak is going to be in 9 to 13 weeks.

Hopefully just a cold or something but I'd not been able to shake off a headache all day yesterday and I've been up all night shaking and shivering and wheezing and coughing.  I just can't get to sleep for the feeling that it's freezing cold even with heating on full blast and wrapped in blankets.  I've now given up trying to sleep and got up for a cup of coffee and some paracetamol for breakfast.

It's like a 4 word horror story:  Have I got it?

13 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Hopefully just a cold or something but I'd not been able to shake off a headache all day yesterday and I've been up all night shaking and shivering and wheezing and coughing.  I just can't get to sleep for the feeling that it's freezing cold even with heating on full blast and wrapped in blankets.  I've now given up trying to sleep and got up for a cup of coffee and some paracetamol for breakfast.

It's like a 4 word horror story:  Have I got it?

Best wishes to you, hope you recover soon.