Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

I'm generally fine until I come onto this forum.

Went to Tesco today, no problems whatsoever, everything in stock except flour (even toilet roll wasn't that low). Dodn't see anybody stockpiling, the staff were lovely and even the food bank donations were overflowing the bin.

Then, I come back on here and it's all gone a bit Mad Max. We're all gonna die.

Same for me yesterday, Tesco was quiet, they had no pasta (I only wanted 1 bag) or eggs and they were low on a lot of things but it was all very civilised. 

Popped to Waitrose, got the last bag of pasta there and grabbed half a dozen eggs too.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Reminds me of fear the walking dead. The phones will go down and the utilities will be out in a matter of days.

I don't think its got that bad in Italy or Spain yet... least I assume it isn't.

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

It doesn’t take long for society to break down in exceptional circumstances. 

Apocalypse novel 101.

Bit further than the time everyone went and panic brought petrol when expecting a fuel tanker drivers strike that didn't happen.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

For some reason supplies of kidney beans are running low! 

I saw an article from a US news website I sometimes browse suggesting that kidney beans were one of the few things not being panic brought en masse. Though I prefer that approach - not a fan of beans in general, plus a good and apparently authentic chili doesn't need them imo.

Incidentally the same article suggested chocolate hummus was a thing... that seems to fit the definition of being something they were so eager to make without stopping to think if they should.

39 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If you haven’t seen it already I’d recommend watching the film Contagion. Very interesting and so many parallels and references to what’s happening at the moment. 

Its the most streamed movie right now. And no you dont need to see that right now to just scare you more. Chernobyl is more interesting right now as you can see a nation that had disaster, did all they could to prevent it, even tried to control the news and not make it seem terrible but it couldve gone much worse. Decisions of delaying evacuations and not properly treating patients is something we can relate to right now. If you watch some scenes and mesh it with whats happening right now, thats scary. Human decision making still has not changed in all that time when a nation thats perceived to be powerful absolutely breaks under pressure and must relent for help. Thats pride taking over. Thats the U.S. right now and could be the UK too. China, Taiwan and Korea have fully committed to destroying this virus and its showing, yet in other first world nations they are still babbling on about whats right and what isnt at this moment. Italy should be the first and last example of putting your head into the sand and ignoring the signs.

what will happen in stores is that everyone will get their supplies and the supply chain will come back and ease whoever was shorthanded at this time, and then itll stabilize because if you have 2 months of TP you wont need it. 

Major U.S cities are now closing down bars and dine in restaraunts and can only stay open for take away service. Some cities enacting curfews and supermarkets shortening hours to resupply and clean their stores.

Edited by Suprefan

41 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If you haven’t seen it already I’d recommend watching the film Contagion. Very interesting and so many parallels and references to what’s happening at the moment. 

Was a fascinating read on a US site with the film's screen-writer: https://slate.com/culture/2020/03/contagion-movie-coronavirus-interview-screenwriter-scott-z-burns.html

Ironically the site was going to host an encore screening of the film at a cinema in Washington DC on the 24th but cancelled it due to coronavirus.

Saw it years ago but don't remember being that enthusiastic about it. Maybe I should go re-watch it. Was intrigued to see if there was any other viral outbreak movies about.

Love 28 Days Later, even if that's a zombie flick as well as infection. The book version of World War Z has many parallels as well, from random outbreaks after initial cases in China through cover-up to a great denial and then a great panic.

5 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Anyone else feeling nostalgic for the fuel crisis?

I'm nostalgic for 2016, cos at least there were plenty of entertainment options as a distraction from that year's dumpster fire.

Edited by charlierc

Just had a look at the calendar and the 19th sept is a Saturday, this is the date of the actual 1st ‘glastonbury’ what do we think the chances of them postponing until that weekend would be? I am aware the logistics would be a huge challenge and the weather perhaps wouldn’t be as great. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The absolute worst case scenarios are always quoted and never come true 

Exactly. Textbook stuff. Brief out all the absolute worst case scenario and people will be more accepting of anything less than that.

On 3/3/2020 at 12:07 PM, jparx said:

Looking at the decrease in new cases and the increase in recoveries in China over the past 3 weeks makes me think we'll be fine. It will get worse in the UK before it gets better, and events in March and April may well be cancelled/postponed, but I feel very confident the situation will have improved come June, enough for all summer festivals to go ahead.

i guess the problem for organisers is do you continue to burn money with the risk of cancellation hanging over the festival

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

I’ve read that they expect 95% of cases to come and go within 10 weeks. That’s towards the end of May...

The Guardian is reporting that the crisis will last in the UK till Spring 2021. Tonnes of different info floating about and no one knows for sure.

I would, however, guess that you coming from Australia for a music festival during this might be unlikely and unwise.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

In case anyone panics when reading the URL, the figure is 7.9 million - not 79 million. The article states 'and up to 15% (7.9 million people) may require hospitalisation.'

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I would, however, guess that you coming from Australia for a music festival during this might be unlikely and unwise.

I’ll make the call closer to the time, unless it’s made for me. It’s conceivable that many of us might have caught the virus before the festival, which would be shit while we have it but make the festival slightly less nerve wracking. 

22 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Its the most streamed movie right now. And no you dont need to see that right now to just scare you more. Chernobyl is more interesting right now as you can see a nation that had disaster, did all they could to prevent it, even tried to control the news and not make it seem terrible but it couldve gone much worse. Decisions of delaying evacuations and not properly treating patients is something we can relate to right now. If you watch some scenes and mesh it with whats happening right now, thats scary. Human decision making still has not changed in all that time when a nation thats perceived to be powerful absolutely breaks under pressure and must relent for help. Thats pride taking over. Thats the U.S. right now and could be the UK too. China, Taiwan and Korea have fully committed to destroying this virus and its showing, yet in other first world nations they are still babbling on about whats right and what isnt at this moment. Italy should be the first and last example of putting your head into the sand and ignoring the signs.

what will happen in stores is that everyone will get their supplies and the supply chain will come back and ease whoever was shorthanded at this time, and then itll stabilize because if you have 2 months of TP you wont need it. 

Major U.S cities are now closing down bars and dine in restaraunts and can only stay open for take away service. Some cities enacting curfews and supermarkets shortening hours to resupply and clean their stores.

China potentially had the virus as early as October, they lied about it until January. They initially said it wasn’t possible to transmit from human to human even though it was evidently doing that for several months. The first doctor who tried to blow the whistle conveniently died of Covid-19 even though he was in his 30s. 5 other Doctors who tried to blow the whistle have Since gone missing.

China might be ‘committed to destroying the virus right now’ but I wouldn’t exactly be holding them up as a shining beacon of human nature 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dave_c said:

We have done no stockpiling of anything and have no intention of doing so. It's not Armageddon. We are planning to do our normal shop tomorrow but by the sounds of it we will get fuck all. People need to stop being so selfish and give themselves a good talking to.

Couldn't agree more. I've deliberately not stockpiled on account of not being a complete prick. 

Now we're looking at not being able to get our 4 month old nappies or the milk formula she has. 

But it's ok because someone else has 10 fucking tubs and 400 nappies the baby will no doubt grow out of before they've run out. 

4 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yes, seems to be the case (Nobby above has pointed to one piece of evidence). I looked at some pathology slides of patients with the disease...looks like emphysema (complete alveolar destruction), so those with COAD are at risk of more severe disease if they catch it...Why hypertension is a risk factor for severe disease is another big unansered question. One of the other reasons people are dying is DIC (this happened with MERS as well)...would be interesting to see if prior anti-coagulant use offers any benefit in terms of outcome...Still so much to figure out...

Demographics are going to have a huge influence in this. As people age lung function naturally declines but this is exasperated but by external agents inflaming lungs, be it from smoking, vehicle emissions, industrial emissions, cooking et al. For instance, we already know the Chinese have a greater propensity to smoke and cities suffer high levels of pollution so higher lung impairment levels could be expected. Both Italy and Spain have had higher than average smoking rates in the older age group. South Korea though is a bit of a mystery as smoking rates are higher than average too yet mortality rates are low. 

5 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Demographics are going to have a huge influence in this. As people age lung function naturally declines but this is exasperated but by external agents inflaming lungs, be it from smoking, vehicle emissions, industrial emissions, cooking et al. For instance, we already know the Chinese have a greater propensity to smoke and cities suffer high levels of pollution so higher lung impairment levels could be expected. Both Italy and Spain have had higher than average smoking rates in the older age group. South Korea though is a bit of a mystery as smoking rates are higher than average too yet mortality rates are low. 

What about Germany? 11 or 12 deaths so far. What’s their secret?