Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Most definitely, it’ll be a big sign I reckon. 

I expect a statement soon after government action this week. If it's still a go for June they need to gets emails out reminding people of the balance payment window is opening. 

3 minutes ago, whateverworksout said:

Could they maybe push back the balance payment week? By the end of April for example they might be in a better place to be able to predict if it would be able to go ahead or not

I’m hoping this is what they opt for instead of doing it now 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

While it doesn’t look good, unless I’ve missed something no acts have yet to pull the plug, so I think everyone is still in the very much wait and see camp.

Someone heard a rumour aerosmith did - but just a rumour, other theory was still want to sell more of their own tour.

11 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I expect a statement soon after government action this week. If it's still a go for June they need to gets emails out reminding people of the balance payment window is opening. 

I think that’s a fair view, I’d expect something too.

I’m going to The Great Escape festival in May, this is their current stance:

D8D92C67-E13E-4BA1-A263-DA37F2E72EC6.png

34 minutes ago, st dan said:

As mentioned, you just couldn’t have a 77 year old Paul McCartney, 75 year old Diana Ross and an 84 year old Michael Eavis all over the TV and expect the general public to take it seriously. 

The flaming lips could show the way for the over 70s performers to self isolate.  Diana in a bubble would be a first!

15D76F06-8F10-4C9B-B8FD-9E9FEA861C19.jpeg.5f6cdf690fa92ed6c03118dd0cf8a6e2.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

We will have to see tomorrow. It wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of events have been told they will be ok to go ahead, as long as they can ensure adequate medical cover. That of course might be the challenge.

Yes, a number of festival staff are NHS staff who wanted a ticket to the fest.

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think that’s a fair view, I’d expect something too.

I’m going to The Great Escape festival in May, this is their current stance:

D8D92C67-E13E-4BA1-A263-DA37F2E72EC6.png

Hope you get to do it but I can see it being called off

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lycra said:

Hope you get to do it but I can see it being called off

I can see that being called off, as it’s mainly inside 20 odd different bars, pubs and clubs round the city. Then again it could go either way for that reason too, as it’s so spread out. 

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

We will have to see tomorrow. It wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of events have been told they will be ok to go ahead, as long as they can ensure adequate medical cover. That of course might be the challenge.

Adequate medical cover goes beyond the event. It's medic availability within the local NHS

Biggest obstacle is the logistics of the event - even if the government permits large gatherings, how can you justify pulling medical staff from the frontline to the festival? Even if the peak passes a couple of week's before, there is no way of planning for it. I suppose it depends upon how long emergency service workers are not allowed holiday leave - if the festival can be medically staffed by volunteers on leave, then that's a massive boost. But the likelihood of leave being permitted by then? Slim to none.

Reading the Glastonbury website medical section, it sounds like they are fairly self sufficient in terms of staffing and dealing with minor injuries etc and even advise against using the local hospital for your injury as you can be treated on site.

I am not suggesting in any way they are able to deal with an outbreak of a virus, I just mean they won't be pillaging the NHS of staff.

I know I am probably being overly optimistic haha as I want things to have improved for the UK and for it to be safe to have events in the summer, I have settled in my head good chance will have to wait till next year .

Just was reading it then.

Just a polite request on behalf of supermarket workers up and down the land ... we have no hand sanitizer or toilet rolls please have a look in the aisles and you will see this ... we do not have any hidden out the back ... we are doing out best to get things on the shelves and stopping every 30 seconds to answer questions does not help us with this .... please please please just have a look and if it’s not there it will likely be there on your next visit ... patience everyone we are doing our best to help you all thanks 

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Biggest obstacle is the logistics of the event - even if the government permits large gatherings, how can you justify pulling medical staff from the frontline to the festival? Even if the peak passes a couple of week's before, there is no way of planning for it. I suppose it depends upon how long emergency service workers are not allowed holiday leave - if the festival can be medically staffed by volunteers on leave, then that's a massive boost. But the likelihood of leave being permitted by then? Slim to none.

From the front line.......pressure being applied already to do extra shifts and cancel leave!

4 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Reading the Glastonbury website medical section, it sounds like they are fairly self sufficient in terms of staffing and dealing with minor injuries etc and even advise against using the local hospital for your injury as you can be treated on site.

I am not suggesting in any way they are able to deal with an outbreak of a virus, I just mean they won't be pillaging the NHS of staff.

I know I am probably being overly optimistic haha as I want things to have improved for the UK and for it to be safe to have events in the summer, I have settled in my head good chance will have to wait till next year .

Just was reading it then.

You're too optimistic. The med staff at Glasto are normally NHS volunteers

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just a polite request on behalf of supermarket workers up and down the land ... we have no hand sanitizer or toilet rolls please have a look in the aisles and you will see this ... we do not have any hidden out the back ... we are doing out best to get things on the shelves and stopping every 30 seconds to answer questions does not help us with this .... please please please just have a look and if it’s not there it will likely be there on your next visit ... patience everyone we are doing our best to help you all thanks 

I feel sorry for supermarket staff at the moment, doing their best but logic has gone out the window!  I was in our local shop this morning, Sunday AM usually quiet but it was like Xmas! I was trying to get supplies for a couple of housebound oldies Mrs C cares for. No luck.  

Interestingly the only person that wasn’t seeking out the elusive bog rolls was the local school janitor who I met. Wonder why?😉

6 minutes ago, Lycra said:

From the front line.......pressure being applied already to do extra shifts and cancel leave!

Oh I know. It's just whether that's official policy for April/May at the peak and towards the end of June the usual staff who volunteer for the festival would be free.

Though I'm fully aware its doubtful they'd be allowed the leave, nor would they necessarily want to leave the frontline.

My partner is a nurse and she's had a break from work since October and will sign up to an agency this week. Not sure even she is fully up to speed as to what is about to hit us.

4 minutes ago, Lycra said:

You're too optimistic. The med staff at Glasto are normally NHS volunteers

Was going to say much the same. A series of walking events I normally volunteer on use a company called trail med for medical cover. They are unsure of this years events regardless of mass gathering ban as most of the trail med staff have day jobs in the NHS