Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

25 minutes ago, Lycra said:

When this is over some are going to have a great career researching the pandemic. I'm wondering if there's any correlation between pre-existing lung damage and patient outcome?

Yes, seems to be the case (Nobby above has pointed to one piece of evidence). I looked at some pathology slides of patients with the disease...looks like emphysema (complete alveolar destruction), so those with COAD are at risk of more severe disease if they catch it...Why hypertension is a risk factor for severe disease is another big unansered question. One of the other reasons people are dying is DIC (this happened with MERS as well)...would be interesting to see if prior anti-coagulant use offers any benefit in terms of outcome...Still so much to figure out...

Can't help but feel cautiously optimistic at the government's approach. Looks like they're learning from what's happened elsewhere and are looking to wait as long as feasibly possible for a 'lockdown' to help flatten the curve. Can see the social distancing aspect lasting all summer unfortunately. Seems their plan is to manage the spread as best as possible whilst doing their best to quarantine the 'at risk' during the peak. Can't argue with that approach really, should hopefully help keep the NHS from being too overwhelmed at any point. 

If the majority of the population are just at risk of developing a bad cold as seems to be the case, makes sense for us to try and keep the country and economy going as best as possible.

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Asking people over 70 to self isolate for a few months and then having 78 year old Paul McCartney play live on the telly in the middle of 250,000 people would be top shelf banter. 

Like some sort of Chris Morris sketch.

Ted Maul reporting. 

Have stopped myself so far from posting the 'at times of crisis' video from The Day Today. Will leave that for when we got into complete shutdown/Glastonbury gets cancelled.

• Upvote 1

Not good hearing this news about over 70s.... So far as far as I glastonbury is concerned this is the worst news.. If its really for 4 months it's a killer as far as I'm concerned..... Sad times.. 

Stay safe

The as expected formal request to the nation from Johnson/Hancock tomorrow for all over 70s to self isolate for 4 months and I think would officially be it for Glastonbury this year. 
As mentioned, you just couldn’t have a 77 year old Paul McCartney, 75 year old Diana Ross and an 84 year old Michael Eavis all over the TV and expect the general public to take it seriously. 

27 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Asking people over 70 to self isolate for a few months and then having 78 year old Paul McCartney play live on the telly in the middle of 250,000 people would be top shelf banter. 

Like some sort of Chris Morris sketch.

Ted Maul reporting. 

Chris.

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

The as expected formal request to the nation from Johnson/Hancock tomorrow for all over 70s to self isolate for 4 months and I think would officially be it for Glastonbury this year. 
As mentioned, you just couldn’t have a 77 year old Paul McCartney, 75 year old Diana Ross and an 84 year old Michael Eavis all over the TV and expect the general public to take it seriously. 

At least technically ME would be staying home 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

Have heard other time frames mentioned (shorter) by credible sources.

Will have to see what they say.

Not looking good tbf 

Chaos is Sainsbury's walthamstow this morning, feels like things could get edgy, which is not going to help, really need to calm and work together, not be fighting over supplies in the supermarket.

2 hours ago, Claire0406 said:

I imagine they will tomorrow when they know the governments plans, can’t imagine they want to say today we are still going ahead and then tomorrow having to back track and say it’s not happening 😕 

Is there to be an announcement tomorrow?

2 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Have heard other time frames mentioned (shorter) by credible sources.

Will have to see what they say.

Not looking good tbf 

Chaos is Sainsbury's walthamstow this morning, feels like things could get edgy, which is not going to help, really need to calm and work together, not be fighting over supplies in the supermarket.

It seems like from what I could see on social media and from friends the whole country was out panic buying today. It seems mad to me because we’re not going to he banned from going to the shops, so surely it would be better to wait until they’re empty if your so worried about the virus itself? 

1 minute ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Is there to be an announcement tomorrow?

Emergency legislation coming in. May give some indication of initial time frames we’re looking at. I’m pretty sure someone posted something earlier that the government were already backtracking on the 4 month idea.

2 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Emergency legislation coming in. May give some indication of initial time frames we’re looking at. I’m pretty sure someone posted something earlier that the government were already backtracking on the 4 month idea.

Is this for large events? Not seen news today as been busy spending the day at Blackpool Pleasure beach!

Just now, Chrisp1986 said:

Is this for large events? Not seen news today as been busy spending the day at Blackpool Pleasure beach!

Mass gatherings and I think general things around containing Corona.

I hardly think the police are going to be out arresting people for gathering though. 

5 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

4 months is just a guesstimate. The advice and length of isolation will be dictated by the course of the pandemic.

5 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

were the queues for the ride shorter ?

Walked onto everything with no queue. Maybe 2 mins for Grand National and rest were dead. It was freezing as hell though and was just as quiet when we went a few years back in march too.