Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, ShakeyCrash said:

I think it's harsh to say people are making mistakes to be honest.  This is nothing anyone has ever seen before, and sadly there is no known way of handling this yet.  My opinion is that people have been overly harsh on Italy for the way they have dealt with it but may be in the minority on that one.

The UK has an advantage where we have 1-2 weeks where we can research\analyse other European scenarios and adapt the approach accordingly, but in truth that there are no absolutes (hence my rant in another thread that people should try to avoid using these). 

The UK is factoring in social aspects, and trying to weigh this up with the medical aspects.  Looking at the figures, locking down a country earlier than absolutely necessary is a sensible approach in my opinion.  You need to balance the risk to the higher risk individuals on both sides of the scale.  The virus is extremely dangerous for the old, but what is the impact on locking down a country where depression and anxiety is the biggest killer in males under 45.  I don't know the answer, but given that exercise and mixing in social groups is said to be good for well-being, then banning gyms and social gatherings for a sustained period needs to be considered in detail in my opinion.

A big risk for me is the panic that is ensuing at the moment, as typically this leads to bad choices.  People need to be considered in their choices, as well as considerate to others.  

I think it’s fair to say Italy made mistakes at the start, but that’s precisely why our situations are not comparable and why it makes sense that we have not acted yet.

Italy had deaths before they had cases, the problem was already there well before they knew about it so they’ve had to make some very drastic choices.

People talk about us being x amount of days behind Italy, everyone is x amount of days behind everyone ahead of them, but that x is quite a variable number.

It would’ve been entirely pointless to have acted with extreme measures at any point up to now, but that’s because we had the benefit of being more or less aware the first few cases when they arose.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think it’s fair to say Italy made mistakes at the start, but that’s precisely why our situations are not comparable and why it makes sense that we have not acted yet.

Italy had deaths before they had cases, the problem was already there well before they knew about it so they’ve had to make some very drastic choices.

People talk about us being x amount of days behind Italy, everyone is x amount of days behind everyone ahead of them, but that x is quite a variable number.

It would’ve been entirely pointless to have acted with extreme measures at any point up to now, but that’s because we had the benefit of being more or less aware the first few cases when they arose.

I'm basing part of where we are on the below chart, where blue is Italy, Orange is France, and Gray is the UK (roughly the same population size).  This is based on when there were over 120 cases (arbitrary number I know), and understand fully it's limitations (e.g. doesn't contain number tested).  On the face of it, it does indicate that France is on the same trajectory as Italy so you may be correct that Italy made some mistakes (I am more forgiving), but at this the jury's out on what the impact of certain measures are.

image.png.83ece0dfbbb0b8494092f57f48c668fa.png

It's at times like this where social media is doing way more harm than good. Fake news and people making claims to the world who don't have a clue what they are talking about. It's a dangerous thing and is making people panic and take illogical actions en masse. It wouldn't be a bad thing if we closed down Facebook, Twitter etc for a few weeks to curtail the panic.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Good grief stuartbert...I thought you were better than that 😔
People can still retain a sense of optimism you know? It doesn't mean they're going to go about care-free or ignoring expert advise. WTF has brexit got to do with it?? FFS.

Maybe someone should start a new virus thread for the optimists?

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

I think he was referring to the ‘if you believe in it it will work out’ aspect 

It was a bit of a low blow, I admit. Let me be more precise as to my issue. It's not optimism that's the problem, it's haranguing other people who have looked at the evidence and decided things look bad, suggesting that if they were more positive about what appears to be a bad situation, then things would work out, when it looks like taking the situation seriously is probably the best way to deal with it.

Optimism is fine, telling people off for not being optimistic, not so much.

If you're not into doom and gloom, avoid the pandemic thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It was a bit of a low blow, I admit. Let me be more precise as to my issue. It's not optimism that's the problem, it's haranguing other people who have looked at the evidence and decided things look bad, suggesting that if they were more positive about what appears to be a bad situation, then things would work out, when it looks like taking the situation seriously is probably the best way to deal with it.

Yeah this completely. Why come in here if you don't want to discuss it? Pretend it's not happening and go and talk about clashes or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I genuinely believe that we will have a pretty bad couple of months, but the measures coupled with the weather will mean it trails off fairly rapidly from around June. I know there is no evidence that the weather will help, but the virus is similar enough to others that are affected by the weather to at least say it can’t do anything but help, even if it’s a little bit. It’s not going to be great but it’s not going to be doomsday.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Fair play matey. I think the opposite is also true.

My own doomsday scenario is of global economic collapse caused by an extended lockdown. It would kill far more than any virus. 
However I'm now watching the Simpson's, eagerly awaiting Homer's take on combating a virus 😄

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Almost as if this thread is to discuss the virus and the others are not.

Yes of course, but this thread will therefore naturally attract all the extreme pessimists who are no more going to be right above anyone else. And the other threads will attract the people who want to avoid this one and pretend everything is fine, and they won’t be any more right or wrong as the pessimists either.

6 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Fair play matey. I think the opposite is also true.

My own doomsday scenario is of global economic collapse caused by an extended lockdown. It would kill far more than any virus. 
However I'm now watching the Simpson's, eagerly awaiting Homer's take on combating a virus 😄

And you’re absolutely right to think that in my opinion. Will the average joe bloggs be more worried about losing his home, his job and his civil liberties, or a virus that isn't ridiculously dangerous? That’s why extreme doomsday scenarios with regards to the economy, and extensive and long lasting lockdown measures won’t happen. If they do we've created an issue significantly more serious than the one we started with.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

In my opinion, football will be as good of a guideline as any

I'm sure Glastonbury will be prepared to leave it as late as possible (maybe delay the resale)

If at any point between early April and early-mid May, football restarts with crowds - Glastonbury will go ahead. Home games for United, Tottenham, Newcastle and Arsenal combined house more people than the festival would. If football doesn't restart or goes behind closed doors for the foreseeable, then it's probably curtains for Glastonbury.

3 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

I don't know what its like everywhere else but big supermarkets around me are struggling for stock on things like pasta and toilet roll. Just had a quick walk down a sainsburys local and the situation there was better, might be worth a look if people are desperate for some things

Checked online: 

811F96A5-7532-4CBF-A93C-AE009FB8D465.thumb.png.d26ef8e6b804271cf1c261f2ce360be1.png