Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

We’re significantly behind you in terms of number of cases so no point taken the more drastic measures too soon as they can only be maintained for so long.

These measures are coming soon though, we will inevitably get to your numbers, albeit based on current data it will take us longer to get there. 

But why not taking actions now you still have some time? Why making the same mistakes than Italy and Spain? 

Just now, AlexOvd said:

But why not taking actions now you still have some time? Why making the same mistakes than Italy and Spain? 

If we lock down now then our country falls apart. 

We’re spreading the curve and not getting the big hit other countries are having. It’s a risky strategy and only time will tell if it plays off. 

15 minutes ago, garc1a said:

would  paul and diana even want to be there?

Nope. Diana has already postponed her US shows. 

For most of the bands, when you take out the countries they can't play - Spain, France, Germany, Italy etc - a tour just isn't financially viable.

So even if the festival somehow goes ahead there won't be enough bands around to play it.

2 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Because such actions are not sustainable, plus we caught it earlier here so have been able to control at the earlier stage for much longer. Also being an island has no doubt helped us to a extent. Putting the country into lockdown when we only had a couple of hundred cases would’ve been futile and simply delaying the inevitable.

Can’t see it happening at all now, and that’s the opinion of everyone who doesn’t frequent this forum who I’ve spoken to.

This forum is a lot more positive about Glasto taking place than the general population and you’ve got to think it’s probably because the people using this website are the people who love the festival the most, so are henceforth the least likely to want to accept that it’s going to get cancelled.

32 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

fuck me, things must be bad - that article isn't pay-walled. ;) 

There was a similar piece on The Athletic linked in the football side - when that whole thing is a premium rate sports site, no paywall article was a shock. Especially as when I clicked on it, I was expecting the usual thing of 2 paragraphs then a "Click here to begin your 30 day free trial" kinda thing.

Can people stop posting alarmist bollocks that isn't based on any certain knowledge like 'your healthcare system is going to collapse' or 'if you know someone who has it and you show symptoms, then you have 100% have it'? People are panicking and posting stuff like this is pouring fuel onto the fire for those that are stressed out by the whole situation. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

It must look from afar like the standard disaster movie "We were warned, we didn't listen" kinda thing.

It feels to me as though we're trying hard to avoid an economic fallout, and I appreciate its going to be toxic so trying to have it minimised is something that should be being worked out. But its difficult to make that the most important thing when any hope of avoiding one is surely gone simply by virtue of the fact so much of the rest of the world including key UK trading partners is on lockdown.

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

It must look from afar like the standard disaster movie "We were warned, we didn't listen" kinda thing.

It feels to me as though we're trying hard to avoid an economic fallout, and I appreciate its going to be toxic so trying to have it minimised is something that should be being worked out. But its difficult to make that the most important thing when any hope of avoiding one is surely gone simply by virtue of the fact so much of the rest of the world including key UK trading partners is on lockdown.

I guess though that is like with the last financial crisis we at least have the freedom to control our own monetary policy, unlike individual European countries. So there something still to be said for not resigning ourselves to completely wrecking our own economy just because everyone else is.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t think a new poll would actually do anyone any good 

What’s happened to people’s optimism? It will only beat us if we let it beat us. 

The worst case scenario for covid-19 really isn’t that bad either when compared to other illnesses which are currently ravaging the world. Have some sense of scale. 

Those of you who have already given up, then fine. Keep yourself resigned to your fate. However don’t come in here and poison our optimism. 

What will happen will happen. Arguing on an internet forum isn’t going to change anything. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

What’s happened to people’s optimism? It will only beat us if we let it beat us. 

The worst case scenario for covid-19 really isn’t that bad either when compared to other illnesses which are currently ravaging the world. Have some sense of scale. 

Those of you who have already given up, then fine. Keep yourself resigned to your fate. However don’t come in here and poison our optimism. 

What will happen will happen. Arguing on an internet forum isn’t going to change anything. 

I’m with you, if you pop into any other thread on here it’s like the virus doesn’t even exist.

Life has taught me that you have to filter out the extremes at either end of the scale and the truth is almost always somewhere in the middle.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I guess though that is like with the last financial crisis we at least have the freedom to control our own monetary policy, unlike individual European countries. So there something still to be said for not resigning ourselves to completely wrecking our own economy just because everyone else is.

Different battles imo. A sprawling multi-national currency having to play something of a balancing act with the sovereign debts of various countries at differing levels - some alarming more than others - is a hell of a different issue to global illness crisis.

Just now, priest17 said:

Gonna be a lot of posts in a month full "can we all just relax? The cerfew isn't even that late!"

"What you whining about a 10pm curfew? Its just like the pubs in the days before 24 hour drinking #throwbackthursday"

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Different battles imo. A sprawling multi-national currency having to play something of a balancing act with the sovereign debts of various countries at differing levels - some alarming more than others - is a hell of a different issue to global illness crisis.

"What you whining about a 10pm curfew? Its just like the pubs in the days before 24 hour drinking #throwbackthursday"

I'm taking about the fallout from this global illness though, it’s likely to present them with very similar issues.

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You sound like a Brexiter to be honest. The best way to beat it is to understand what we're up against. I'm not saying the worse case scenarios is accurate, but optimism for the sake of optimism is potentially harmful given the responsibilities we all have.

Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m with you, if you pop into any other thread on here it’s like the virus doesn’t even exist.

Life has taught me that you have to filter out the extremes at either end of the scale and the truth is almost always somewhere in the middle.

If I had to write a list of things likely to kill me or severely change my life in the next couple of years then Covid-19 will be well down on that list. 

I’ve already got enough to worry about without adding more to the list. 

I’m living my life as best as I possibly can while I still can. Everyone else should do the same.

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Almost as if this thread is to discuss the virus and the others are not.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

I think it's harsh to say people are making mistakes to be honest.  This is nothing anyone has ever seen before, and sadly there is no known way of handling this yet.  My opinion is that people have been overly harsh on Italy for the way they have dealt with it but may be in the minority on that one.

The UK has an advantage where we have 1-2 weeks where we can research\analyse other European scenarios and adapt the approach accordingly, but in truth that there are no absolutes (hence my rant in another thread that people should try to avoid using these). 

The UK is factoring in social aspects, and trying to weigh this up with the medical aspects.  Looking at the figures, locking down a country earlier than absolutely necessary is a sensible approach in my opinion.  You need to balance the risk to the higher risk individuals on both sides of the scale.  The virus is extremely dangerous for the old, but what is the impact on locking down a country where depression and anxiety is the biggest killer in males under 45.  I don't know the answer, but given that exercise and mixing in social groups is said to be good for well-being, then banning gyms and social gatherings for a sustained period needs to be considered in detail in my opinion.

A big risk for me is the panic that is ensuing at the moment, as typically this leads to bad choices.  People need to be considered in their choices, as well as considerate to others.  

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You sound like a Brexiter to be honest.

Good grief stuartbert...I thought you were better than that 😔
People can still retain a sense of optimism you know? It doesn't mean they're going to go about care-free or ignoring expert advise. WTF has brexit got to do with it?? FFS.

Maybe someone should start a new virus thread for the optimists?

4 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Good grief stuartbert...I thought you were better than that 😔
People can still retain a sense of optimism you know? It doesn't mean they're going to go about care-free or ignoring expert advise. WTF has brexit got to do with it?? FFS.

Maybe someone should start a new virus thread for the optimists?

I think he was referring to the ‘if you believe in it it will work out’ aspect 

• Upvote 2