Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, the whole world is over reacting. It's fine.

Well yes to an extent they are, like the virus fear spreads in the exact same way. Of course we need to control the impact on the NHS, but that can be done without shutting everything down and putting the economy into meltdown. There are outcomes from this that are significantly worse than the virus itself.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Just now, eFestivals said:

I'm not sure that's necessarily grim. Within it there's reasons to be hopeful - such as just how quickly it died out 

I agree, and an insight on how the world coped 100 years ago. The die out time does boost hope 😎

Everyone please don't be worrying about the Spanish Flu and drawing parallels:

Scientists offer several possible explanations for the high mortality rate of the 1918 influenza pandemic. Some analyses have shown the virus to be particularly deadly because it triggers a cytokine storm, which ravages the stronger immune systemof young adults.[15] In contrast, a 2007 analysis of medical journals from the period of the pandemic[16][17] found that the viral infection was no more aggressive than previous influenza strains. Instead, malnourishment, overcrowded medical camps and hospitals, and poor hygiene promoted bacterial superinfection. This superinfection killed most of the victims, typically after a somewhat prolonged death bed.

4 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Has anyone on here suffered the symptoms yet, or know of others who have?

For the past two weeks I’ve had a couple days where I’ve just felt really off. I’ve had a cough that would go away and come back. Some nights I’d go to bed feeling really cold and wake up in the middle of the night sweating. Also, I have found myself more fatigued than usual recently, but there’s an easy explanation to that as I’ve started a new job a month ago so it’s probably just a bit of mental exhaustion. We’ve also been really busy due to Covid-19. I have also experienced moments where I’ve had a shortness of breath. I don’t think I’m infected as I’ve managed to carry on as usual. The only thing that I found weird this weekend so far is on Friday night I went out drinking, and I don’t think I drank that much - but my hangover yesterday was something else. I felt like it needed to sleep all day just to pass it. I think I made dinner last night at 10pm.

However,

A week and a half ago I met up with a friend for a drink. She at the time was fine etc. In the last couple of days she has been in touch with me because she is very concerned she has it. In the past few days she has had fever, cough, fatigue, shortness of breath, sore throat, headache - literally all the symptoms. She has contacted her work and her work have told her to stay at home. She’s got in touch with 111 but she thinks it is unlikely to get any treatment as she’s not having breathing difficulties. Her account is pretty straightforward to be honest, she’s spending days in bed.

Another friend I have seen the other day is reporting the same and actually did end up at the doctors. The doctor however didn’t test her, so that might be a good thing.

On Thursday my work told everyone to work from home because someone on the floor above me and the floor below me tested positive for the virus. So yeah I do feel like I am close to a couple of potential cases.

I’m feeling slightly better today which makes me think that I was just experiencing a bit of a weird hangover, even though I didn’t drink that much. The only thing is found weird was that normal paracetamol and lempsip wasn’t really doing much. Usually that stuff brightens me right up but the only thing I could do was sleep. I need to go into the office on Monday (pending it’s open) but I’m very unsure whether to contact my work.

12 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Despite my home town having on record 3 cases, I now learn someone I know has possible symptoms, and a further 7 connected to them are self-isolating too. With testing limited, it may appear we don’t really know the current extent of infection at all.

My partner has displayed symptoms over this weekend. Said he felt like he was coming down with something on Thursday then by Friday he had a fever with a persistent cough. 

Thankfully I have the option to work from home so that’ll be me for this week. 

It could be a cold/flu but I guess we don’t know for sure so just gonna follow advice and self isolate for the week.

18 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Despite my home town having on record 3 cases, I now learn someone I know has possible symptoms, and a further 7 connected to them are self-isolating too. With testing limited, it may appear we don’t really know the current extent of infection at all.

A friend of mine either has it, or currently has easily the worst flu she's ever had. Temperature above 39 and easily the worst she's ever felt, from what she says. Fever, sweats, aches, bad throat, headache. Has been bedridden for four days. She's just turned 30, and it sounds absolutely horrendous.

The NHS could collapse within weeks IMO, anybody still suggesting this is any less than a complete fucking emergency needs to do a bit of reading and accept the reality of the situation.

Edited by Peter North
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

For the past two weeks I’ve had a couple days where I’ve just felt really off. I’ve had a cough that would go away and come back. Some nights I’d go to bed feeling really cold and wake up in the middle of the night sweating. Also, I have found myself more fatigued than usual recently, but there’s an easy explanation to that as I’ve started a new job a month ago so it’s probably just a bit of mental exhaustion. We’ve also been really busy due to Covid-19. I have also experienced moments where I’ve had a shortness of breath. I don’t think I’m infected as I’ve managed to carry on as usual. The only thing that I found weird this weekend so far is on Friday night I went out drinking, and I don’t think I drank that much - but my hangover yesterday was something else. I felt like it needed to sleep all day just to pass it. I think I made dinner last night at 10pm.

However,

A week and a half ago I met up with a friend for a drink. She at the time was fine etc. In the last couple of days she has been in touch with me because she is very concerned she has it. In the past few days she has had fever, cough, fatigue, shortness of breath, sore throat, headache - literally all the symptoms. She has contacted her work and her work have told her to stay at home. She’s got in touch with 111 but she thinks it is unlikely to get any treatment as she’s not having breathing difficulties. Her account is pretty straightforward to be honest, she’s spending days in bed.

Another friend I have seen the other day is reporting the same and actually did end up at the doctors. The doctor however didn’t test her, so that might be a good thing.

On Thursday my work told everyone to work from home because someone on the floor above me and the floor below me tested positive for the virus. So yeah I do feel like I am close to a couple of potential cases.

I’m feeling slightly better today which makes me think that I was just experiencing a bit of a weird hangover, even though I didn’t drink that much. The only thing is found weird was that normal paracetamol and lempsip wasn’t really doing much. Usually that stuff brightens me right up but the only thing I could do was sleep. I need to go into the office on Monday (pending it’s open) but I’m very unsure whether to contact my work.

So what you’re saying is you’ve been spreading doom and gloom on here and predicting apocalyptic scenarios, but very possibly been merrily spreading it everywhere for weeks?

54 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Out of up votes I afraid.

Thanks, Mrs c is seriously worried about those in her care. They are in a bit of a panic, relatives have stopped visiting some of them, they can’t get vital cleaning stuff and the media headlines aren’t helping. The Daily mail should be banned , their headlines actually scare old people. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So what you’re saying is you’ve been spreading doom and gloom on here and predicting apocalyptic scenarios, but very possibly been merrily spreading it everywhere for weeks?

I hope you’re having a bit of a joke.

The bill will just give the power to shut down large events, so I don't think it will have a date to it but the government can act if there think its necessary. 

Unsure if this means anything but less likely an immediate cancellation is necessary. Possibly buys the festival a couple of weeks 

Friend in Barcelona said she wants to get some fresh air later, so will have to take her prescriptions with her in order to go for a walk. Rumours circulating there that you could be arrested for going out for anything nonp-essential, but she's not sure if it's true.

24 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s confusing two issues isn’t it? On paper and based on all the stats we have the virus isn’t that dangerous is it?

There are currently amongst a population of nearly 8 billion 5600 people in a critical condition from it:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The main danger comes from the Impact of the measures taken to control it and not the actual virus itself.

The point I was making which I think is pretty clear, is the bigger problems you end up with if you impose super extreme measures like banning weddings, shutting bars restaurants etc and try to impose these measures for any real length of time. There will be a point where life isn’t worth living for most people and they will not care about a virus that very likely will not kill them. If you try and enforce it militarily then you create a much bigger problem than the initial problem.

I was simply trying to point out that those predicting doomsday scenarios are wide of the mark, because such a reaction is not proportionate to the threat.

Yet countries are going into lockdown, experts are saying it is really dangerous and our own prime minister is saying family members are going to die before their team.

It seems to be Joe Bloggs on the internet who are saying it is not dangerous, it is just a bit of flu. The country has pretty much ignored the advice coming from the government and rejected herd immunity. No one knows how bad this virus is yet, we don't know if you can be re-infected. You are even contemplating getting infected just to get it out the way. That is utterly ludicrous. Why on earth would you get yourself infected with a virus which could kill you? Not even that, you could pass it on to other people who could be in more danger of losing their life, just because you were being selfish and thinking about yourself.

We don't know how dangerous this virus is yet. It has nowhere near peak. The figures mean nothing, there is absolutely no way of validating them. No one knows how many have died in China, Iran are digging mass graves, it is getting totally out of control in Italy.

What we need is time. Time to learn more about the virus, time to prepare the NHS, time to get our heads round things and find solutions.

Yes when we look back in years to come, it may seem we have over reacted. I would much rather we over react though than look back in years to come and regret the loss of life of hundreds of thousands or possibly millions, as we thought it was just a bit of flu.

It needs people to be sensible, take precautions, if we have to make a few sacrifices to the way we live our lives, then so be it. 

Can I ask if you went and got yourself infected, would you then totally isolate for 2 weeks? I have to say, purposely getting yourself infected with a virus that could kill you is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. How do you know that you do not have any underlying health problems? 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

No, I’m very serious. You’ve been spouting doomsday scenarios on here yet have ignored government advice so contributed to them. You were talking yesterday about being concerned about certain family members, have you been in contact with them?

It's very unlikely that Matt has it. The government advice to stay at home for a fever and a cold literally only came in on Wednesday, he is saying he felt shit before that. I too have had coldy symptoms on and off but nothing that sounds quite like the virus. The advice until now has been to carry on as normal. As I said in the other thread my partner had a horrendous flu thing a couple of weeks back and when he called 111, not only did they tell him it probably wasn't it, they suggested he go to a medical centre to get tested for something else, so the medical advice then really wasn't to self isolate for any kind of cold. That's very recent.

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Yet countries are going into lockdown, experts are saying it is really dangerous and our own prime minister is saying family members are going to die before their team.

It seems to be Joe Bloggs on the internet who are saying it is not dangerous, it is just a bit of flu. The country has pretty much ignored the advice coming from the government and rejected herd immunity. No one knows how bad this virus is yet, we don't know if you can be re-infected. You are even contemplating getting infected just to get it out the way. That is utterly ludicrous. Why on earth would you get yourself infected with a virus which could kill you? Not even that, you could pass it on to other people who could be in more danger of losing their life, just because you were being selfish and thinking about yourself.

We don't know how dangerous this virus is yet. It has nowhere near peak. The figures mean nothing, there is absolutely no way of validating them. No one knows how many have died in China, Iran are digging mass graves, it is getting totally out of control in Italy.

What we need is time. Time to learn more about the virus, time to prepare the NHS, time to get our heads round things and find solutions.

Yes when we look back in years to come, it may seem we have over reacted. I would much rather we over react though than look back in years to come and regret the loss of life of hundreds of thousands or possibly millions, as we thought it was just a bit of flu.

It needs people to be sensible, take precautions, if we have to make a few sacrifices to the way we live our lives, then so be it. 

Can I ask if you went and got yourself infected, would you then totally isolate for 2 weeks? I have to say, purposely getting yourself infected with a virus that could kill you is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. How do you know that you do not have any underlying health problems? 

Read all my posts on it please 

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

No, I’m very serious. You’ve been spouting doomsday scenarios on here yet have ignored government advice so contributed to them. You were talking yesterday about being concerned about certain family members, have you been in contact with them?

No I live in London totally away from all of my family. I’ve not seen them in over a month. I won’t be going to see them as planned in Easter if things get much much worse.

39 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

The virus really isn't incredibly dangerous. Have you not ready any of the stats? The overwhelming majority recover with no ill effects. Some don't even know they've had it.

Why are so many people on here wallowing in self misery?

For me, my concern is not for my own health but for the health of my parents and that of other people's older relatives. That isn't self misery. It's a reality unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's very unlikely that Matt has it. The government advice to stay at home for a fever and a cold literally only came in on Wednesday, he is saying he felt shit before that. I too have had coldy symptoms on and off but nothing that sounds quite like the virus. The advice until now has been to carry on as normal. As I said in the other thread my partner had a horrendous flu thing a couple of weeks back and when he called 111, not only did they tell him it probably wasn't it, they suggested he go to a medical centre to get tested for something else, so the medical advice then really wasn't to self isolate for any kind of cold. That's very recent.

Exactly @Deaf Nobby Burton. I’ve mainly had a couple of days in the past week and yesterday where I’ve felt a bit under the weather but nothing that makes me think “yup I’ve definitely got it”. Which means there is 0 point in me calling 111 as I’d be one to overload them.

I haven’t been in work on Thursday and Friday and I don’t know what our policy is going to be like on Monday morning. Can’t you see that for those with very mild symptoms they are left in a bit of limbo? It’s hard to know if you’re putting a foot right. 

So my sister-in-law has it we’ve found out recently and all of the family that were there have now been ill to an extent.

111 said just to assume we all have it and have been self-isolating for the last few days. Everyone has had similar symptoms to varying degrees but at the worst it seems to be a nasty cold. Personally I was pretty ill for 2 days and now I’m fine.

Isolating ourselves for the next week under advice from the government just so we don’t infect anyone but that’s pretty much it, the intense boredom of being trapped in the house is probably worse than the actual illness tbh

22 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

This wiki on the Spanish flu is terrifying, I read it last week. BUT, I think it is widely accepted that the war and conditions also played a big part so for the anxious out there keep that in mind. 

flus generally mutate into less deadly strains from what I’ve read as it becomes widespread. Obviously nobody truly knows how this will go but I think that’s the current theory. 

Quick lesson on virology. You're right. The virus goes through millions of lifecycles and eventually will mutate and that mutated version will be passed on. 

So usually if a virus is more deadly, it has less of a chance of being passed on  because the host dies and the virus dies before spreading. If the opposite happens it becomes less deadly but more widespread, similar to the common cold, which also can be caused by a type of corona virus. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly @Deaf Nobby Burton. I’ve mainly had a couple of days in the past week and yesterday where I’ve felt a bit under the weather but nothing that makes me think “yup I’ve definitely got it”. Which means there is 0 point in me calling 111 as I’d be one to overload them.

I haven’t been in work on Thursday and Friday and I don’t know what our policy is going to be like on Monday morning. Can’t you see that for those with very mild symptoms they are left in a bit of limbo? It’s hard to know if you’re putting a foot right. 

Yeah completely agree that it's tricky. I've had a mild cough but no fever. Will be working from home mainly anyway, but should I be self isolating more than that?

After chatting to friends though I think I am going to avoid my parents for a bit. Was going to see my mum on mother's day but I just don't think it's worth it.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You may well not have it, but I assume you’re pretty young? Even in older people it can be largely symptomless or very mild, so it’s possible.

Either way you shouldn’t be spreading doomsday scenarios when you yourself have had the thought in the back of your mind you might have it, but have still been going round living life normally.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1