Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

Just now, steviewevie said:

Yeah, exactly. So many of those elderly are in care homes, or cared for by family members, or in hospital already. This is going to be a nightmare for a lot of people.

My Gran is 91, I suspect this will finish her off. Gonna have to teach her to Skype

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

My Gran is 91, I suspect this will finish her off. Gonna have to teach her to Skype

Older people more at risk because more of them have other conditions...heart disease, diabetes, lunch conditions etc etc. If your Gran is otherwise healthy then hopefully her risk is lower.

45 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Trying to isolate the most vulnerable if anything makes it more likely than less based on how they’ve approached it so far.

It still doesn’t make it likely at this stage, but isolating the more vulnerable would enable life to go on more normally, and fits perfectly with the herd immunity theory.

I see what you're saying but people in that age group are going to feel very put out and almost victimised by this.

I don't see how morally they can have huge parties on TV full of people whilst others aren't even allowed to go to the shops . Not to mention slot of people will rely on grandparents for child care and people of all ages will have their daily routines turned upside down by this.

Not trying to be negative and I've been looking forward to Bluedot and our summer holiday for ages but some things are more important 

Stay positive - 

Matt Hancock: size of gatherings don't matter, just stay home if you're unwell

Asked about the prospect of cancelling mass gatherings, as other European countries have, Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary said: "It doesn't matter how big the gathering is, what matters is that people who have the illness aren't spreading it and stay home."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stopwn1981 said:

This policy is also known as ‘if you’re over 70 and get sick with this we won’t be treating you’.

This isn't true. The policy is to isolate old people as much as possible and at same slow the disease spread through population, and hopefully NHS is not overwhelmed so can treat all those that get seriously ill...who will be mostly older people.

But, if NHS is overwhelmed, I'm sure the older will be deprioritised. It's happening in Italy.

37 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Trying to isolate the most vulnerable if anything makes it more likely than less based on how they’ve approached it so far.

It still doesn’t make it likely at this stage, but isolating the more vulnerable would enable life to go on more normally, and fits perfectly with the herd immunity theory.

Agreed. Once the elderly and vulnerable are protected, I guess they may be more willing to let events happen to expedite this ‘herd immunity’ theory (which Australia says doesn’t exist, btw). 

Then the issue becomes:

- Can the festival cope with infected people in terms of treatment and isolation?

- Are there sufficient resources in terms of police and medical care to handle it?

- How would they cope with inevitable pulling out of booked acts? 

9 hours ago, Doug85 said:

Christ, I pop into this thread and it's doomsday stuff. I get that this is going to linger on and will be an ever changing situation but to say with absolutes that this will last months and years is very strange as we have no way of knowing that yet. They are working on vaccines and I would hope that we see a breakthrough with that sooner rather than later. 

Remember only Siths deal in absolutes. 

If what you say is true about vaccines (and I think and hope it may well be - Swine Flu arrived in the U.K. May 2009 and we had a vaccine by October) then the government’s herd immunity policy is reckless insanity.

As I suggested earlier they did indeed come under so much pressure to justify their total outlier policy they’ve had to change tack in less than 48 hours. Current and ex directors of WHO and many, many scientists looking aghast at their ideas. Tragic m, unfounded ideas of British exceptionalism the only thing keeping it alive. We’ll see more cave in very soon I think.

Some suggestion they will legislate to keep schools open to prevent Scotland or Wales showing them up (again). 

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

- Can the festival cope with infected people in terms of treatment and isolation?

Well according to the govt. theory if it goes ahead they shouldn’t bother isolating. Glastonbury would become the world’s biggest Coronavirus Party (as was already suggested way up the thread.)

15 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

This policy is also known as ‘if you’re over 70 and get sick with this we won’t be treating you’.

Wow. You are something else!

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This isn't true. The policy is to isolate old people as much as possible and at same slow the disease spread through population, and hopefully NHS is not overwhelmed so can treat all those that get seriously ill...who will be mostly older people.

But, if NHS is overwhelmed*, I'm sure the older will be deprioritised. It's happening in Italy.

* Which it will be.

So it's true then.

Wonder if the restrictions will be relaxed for everybody else when the 70+ are asked to isolate for 4 months?

Lets assume this is fully obeyed (although it won’t be), would the healthcare system be able to cope with the under 70’s who need hospitalisation if ‘normal life’ were to resume for the rest?

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

This is something I’m concerned about but I guess that’s total doomsday. I guess the reason why riots haven’t happened in Italy or China is because the military get involved.

Thank you. I guess the root of it is that seeing people belittle how bad it is can be quite annoying. It’s already pretty bad for myself personally and we are supposedly in the earliest stages. I guess my blase attitude about Glastonbury being cancelled is because it’s probably quite low down in terms of bad things that could happen to me and my family due to this virus. I can go to Glastonbury again. Whether it is in 2021 or I miss out on tickets and it’s 2022, it’s fixable. Of course the worst part of it is my concerns are not exclusive, we all have people in our lives we are concerned about.

I guess I use this forum to vent. Il work on it from now on.

Good on you. I've said this to a couple of others but if you are struggling and you need to talk/vent drop me a DM.

Slightly OT, but I’m genuinely just curios.

So far there is no evidence you can get it twice, so that suggests immunity. At the very least of you get and there isn’t immunity it would be far milder second time around.

Im saying this as a fit and healthy 38 year old with absolutely no underlying medical conditions... would anybody be tempted to deliberately get it if they could?

I know of a friend of a friend who has it, if you get it you then don’t have to worry about getting it over the next year or so, you can self isolate until it’s gone and then you don’t have to constantly worry about passing it on to vulnerable family members either. My parents are both in their 70s and my dad has had several heart operations

Just a thought, and it pretty much sits with how the government seem to want to try and play it as well.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

* Which it will be.

So it's true then.

They're trying not to overwhelm NHS, which is why they're going to start putting in more measures to delay and slow the spread...like cancelling large events, asking people to work from home, and isolating older people. Whether it works or not we shall see.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So far there is no evidence you can get it twice, so that suggests immunity. At the very least of you get and there isn’t immunity it would be far milder second time around.

Im saying this as a fit and healthy 38 year old with absolutely no underlying medical conditions... would anybody be tempted to deliberately get it if they could?

I know of a friend of a friend who has it, if you get it you then don’t have to worry about getting it over the next year or so, you can self isolate until it’s gone and then you don’t have to constantly worry about passing it on to vulnerable family members either. My parents are both in their 70s and my dad has had several heart operations

Just a thought, and it pretty much sits with how the government seem to want to try and play it as well.

I’m 40, physically I’m healthy other than the issue with my brain. 

If I had to choose when to get the virus then now is the perfect time for myself. I would hate to come down with it straight after my brain surgery when I will be at my most vulnerable. 

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

Wonder if the restrictions will be relaxed for everybody else when the 70+ are asked to isolate for 4 months?

Lets assume this is fully obeyed (although it won’t be), would the healthcare system be able to cope with the under 70’s who need hospitalisation if ‘normal life’ were to resume for the rest?

No

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I've thought that too...just get it now and get it out the way.

But, they're not fully sure if can get it twice yet...apparently some in China and Japan have, but that not officially confirmed.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I've thought that too...just get it now and get it out the way.

But, they're not fully sure if can get it twice yet...apparently some in China and Japan have, but that not officially confirmed.

Assuming it doesn’t kill you, which based on the stats for myself is very very unlikely, you wouldn’t at least end up any worse off having had it but potentially a lot better off.