Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes I get what your saying, the logic was aimed at people like Matt and the fact that we live with something far more dangerous on a daily basis and I presume he doesn’t go into meltdown over it.

??

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

That's simply not true, my mum's had cancer twice (bowel & breast) and pulled through she's now 85, if she gets coronovirus I doubt she would make it as her chest isn't 100%. You can make an argument that it's time for her to go but as you can imagine that's not one i'm prepared to accept.

Ok, but the death rate from corona for that age group is around 15/20% so actually the odds are  That she would survive it. Again it’s important to get some context, older people with underlying conditions are a lot more at risk, but it’s not a terminal diagnosis, they don’t all die, the majority still don’t.

Interesting stats on the news just now....

Apparently there is overwhelming support for rationing amoungst the general public here and in Italy there is 89% support for the lockdown.

None of this surprises me. I think most rational people would support limiting what people can buy given the idiocy we've all seen in the supermarkets recently. It's just a few people ruining it for everybody and rationing would sort that. The supermarkets are already starting to do this.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Ok, but the death rate from corona for that age group is around 15/20% so actually the odds are  That she would survive it. Again it’s important to get some context, older people with underlying conditions are a lot more at risk, but it’s not a terminal diagnosis, they don’t all die, the majority still don’t.

Same for cancer, not everyone dies, in fact most pull through if it is diagnosed early enough so your comments are pointless, we are talking about a new infectious disease it's not relevant to cancer at all.

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Interesting stats on the news just now....

Apparently there is overwhelming support for rationing amoungst the general public here and in Italy there is 89% support for the lockdown.

None of this surprises me. I think most rational people would support limiting what people can buy given the idiocy we've all seen in the supermarkets recently. It's just a few people ruining it for everybody and rationing would sort that. The supermarkets are already starting to do this.

I think rationing is a buzzword or alarm word that makes people concerned, but it makes a lot of sense and would definitely help people out.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1238892279198175232

Its great to see Amazon etc already doing their bit.

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is something I’m concerned about but I guess that’s total doomsday. I guess the reason why riots haven’t happened in Italy or China is because the military get involved.

Thank you. I guess the root of it is that seeing people belittle how bad it is can be quite annoying. It’s already pretty bad for myself personally and we are supposedly in the earliest stages. I guess my blase attitude about Glastonbury being cancelled is because it’s probably quite low down in terms of bad things that could happen to me and my family due to this virus. I can go to Glastonbury again. Whether it is in 2021 or I miss out on tickets and it’s 2022, it’s fixable. Of course the worst part of it is my concerns are not exclusive, we all have people in our lives we are concerned about.

I guess I use this forum to vent. Il work on it from now on.

Try to think about it logically though matt, what’s worse, a virus that is largely not that dangerous vs our military at war on the streets with the general public?

People won’t tolerate a year of complete lockdown, they’ll maybe tolerate a couple of months at best. The government know this full well, at some point civil unrest would start to grow when people reach the point that they don’t really have a life worth living so what does a virus even matter. At that point it would just be better to let everybody do as they please and spread the virus rather than the alternative involving military etc. The Government would just rather do nothing at all than end up in that position.

There will be one sole motivation behind what they do and that is to try and ease the strain on the NHS and flatten the curve out, there is no other benefit to the measures, it can’t be stopped or contained indefinitely. Once the aim is achieved things will return to some sort of normality.

6 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Same for cancer, not everyone dies, in fact most pull through if it is diagnosed early enough so your comments are pointless, we are talking about a new infectious disease it's not relevant to cancer at all.

I didn’t pull the stats from thin air, the death rate of cancer is far higher. Google it like I did.

59 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Christ, I pop into this thread and it's doomsday stuff. I get that this is going to linger on and will be an ever changing situation but to say with absolutes that this will last months and years is very strange as we have no way of knowing that yet. They are working on vaccines and I would hope that we see a breakthrough with that sooner rather than later. 

Remember only Siths deal in absolutes. 

A vaccine will be years away. This is a completely new disease, even if they find one it still has to be tested, that takes years.

3 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Developing the vaccine doesn't take long, I believe one may already exist. The problem is the length f time that trials take. You can't go givving hundreds of thousands of people a vaccine that hasn't gone through usually about 2 years of testing.

Yes, you can’t give something to people that might have a higher risk of killing them than the virus itself, and there is certain criteria to meet to make sure that isn’t the case.

52 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think rationing is a buzzword or alarm word that makes people concerned, but it makes a lot of sense and would definitely help people out.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1238892279198175232

Its great to see Amazon etc already doing their bit.

Please don't praise Amazon.  They have hiked prices on things like hand sanitizer by over 400% and have been taking their 15% on the weeks of scalpers using their marketplace until it was publicly no longer safe for them to allow it.  Don't trust amazon, amazon is asshole.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s important to get some perspective, although the numbers will of course rise, right now there 20 people in the U.K. in a critical condition from corona virus. It wouldn’t be anywhere even close to feasible to implement all those measures you listed for anywhere near a year.

Where are you getting your figures from?

It doesn't tally with either cases or deaths and that's the only two figures I've seen quoted officially 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-track-coronavirus-cases

As for the likely trend for those figures in the next couple of weeks "Observations by epidemiologists show that if unchecked, the number of infections doubles approximately every five days, with infected individuals capable of passing the virus to an average of about 2.5 people.

“What we are seeing is not rocket science,” Balloux said. “You have two cases, then four, then eight, then 16.""

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/flatten-the-curve-coronavirus/2020/03/12/a648883c-6460-11ea-8a8e-5c5336b32760_story.html

4 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Everybody wants to talk about it, this is literally what this thread is for. But you're talking in absolute ridiculous extremes which is doing much more harm than good.

Its not going to be great, but it’s going to be relatively short and not as wide ranging as you predict.

its important to be realistic but it’s also important to not work everyone into a frenzy unnecessarily.

"The Times suggests that police will be able to detain infected people, and schools and nurseries could be forced to stay open, as part of a package of emergency powers to be introduced next week. The paper says councils will be allowed to "lower standards in care homes" to cope with staff shortages, and there will also be measures to speed up cremations and burials.

The Times adds that ministers believe the virus will infect the majority of the population, and the new laws are likely to stay in place for two years."

Wonder if 2022 might be the next GF? Music festivals are however, an irrelevance in the context of these times.

Hope the reality and gravity of the situation now facing us is apparent to all.

This is like nothing any of us have ever experienced. Almost like the reboot button has been pressed because everything is beyond repair. Very worrying. 

Edited by Copperface

Australia has joined New Zealand in imposing a mandatory 14 day self isolation period for all international arrivals, including its own citizens. 

If this is where countries are going, I might need to fly to the UK earlier to get the isolation period out of the way before Glastonbury. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Australia has joined New Zealand in imposing a mandatory 14 day self isolation period for all international arrivals, including its own citizens. 

If this is where countries are going, I might need to fly to the UK earlier to get the isolation period out of the way before Glastonbury. 

Which year?

48 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Deluded 🙄. Just give it up. Glasto this year just isn’t going to happen.

42 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

Deluded 🙄. Just give it up. Glasto this year just isn’t going to happen.

You're posting as if I'm not following this closely. We all are. You're not blowing any minds here, Bobby.

I'm just choosing to be hopeful, because until the day Emily announces it's not happening, it could. I don't sense that there's an absolute inevitability about cancellation yet, mainly given the sudden escalation in preventative measures, and the amount time between now and the festival.

I'm realistic that there's an increasing probability that it won't happen, but what's the point of resigning myself to it, wallowing in the misery, and popping on to forums to piss on everyone else's party? There's no point.

If it doesn't happen, so be it. I'll deal with the disappointment when it's official.

Until then, I'm happy to band together with the eFests family, watch closely and hope.

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

You're posting as if I'm not following this closely. We all are. You're not blowing any minds here, Bobby.

I'm just choosing to be hopeful, because until the day Emily announces it's not happening, it could. I don't sense that there's an absolute inevitability about cancellation yet, mainly given the sudden escalation in preventative measures, and the amount time between now and the festival.

I'm realistic that there's an increasing probability that it won't happen, but what's the point of resigning myself to it, wallowing in the misery, and popping on to forums to piss on everyone else's party? There's no point. If it doesn't happen, so be it. I'll deal with the disappointment when it's official.

There’s a difference between being hopeful and being deluded. I want this to happen more than anything in the world but I’m realistic. Talking about flying in early to meet quarantine regulations is just plain silly. I’m sorry but it is. As soon as boris announces a ban on mass gatherings (which he will next week) it’ll all be over. Just like big weekend. Time to get real man!!