Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It almost sounds like you’re happy about all this, kind of like you’re actively wishing this on people just so you can be proven right. 

Complete opposite. I think this is absolutely devastating. What I find more devastating is that people don’t want to believe it nor engage in any discussion about it. It’s privilege. Heightened restrictions on social mobility is something most people only interact with in history lessons, they never think it could happen again.

We’re all in this together but I can’t put my head in the sand. It’s not in my nature. The internet is a rough place at the moment but that’s because some very important and unsettling conversations need to be had.

2 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

So, Peston himself uses the term "wartime-like" when talking about people over 70 being quarrantined for over 4 months. It just seems crazy to use that kind of language. The last war on our soil went on for 4 years, had much more wide-reaching effects on daily life and caused 56 million deaths globally.

It's just stupid, irrational, irresponsible language to use.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Complete opposite. I think this is absolutely devastating. What I find more devastating is that people don’t want to believe it nor engage in any discussion about it. It’s privilege. Heightened restrictions on social mobility is something most people only interact with in history lessons, they never think it could happen again.

We’re all in this together but I can’t put my head in the sand. It’s not in my nature. The internet is a rough place at the moment but that’s because some very important and unsettling conversations need to be had.

So you honestly think they’ll cancel people’s weddings for a year? Honestly?

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah we get it, this generation are privileged because they’ve lived their life free from the sacrifices of previous generations. What do you want us to do? Maybe some people don’t regularly think of these things because it’s a coping mechanism for them, and whilst you think you dishing out tough love you are really stirring up anxiety and dread.

I think everyone realises there’s going to be changes being made (although I bet our leaders won’t be making half of the changes we do) so please dial back a bit of the worst case doomsaying. 

Edited by Ozanne

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah we get it, this generation are privileged because they’ve lived their free from the sacrifices of previous generations. What do you want us to do? Maybe some people don’t regularly think of these things because it’s a coping mechanism for them, and whilst you think you dishing out tough love you are really stirring up anxiety and dread.

I think everyone realises there’s going to be changes being made (although I bet our leaders won’t be making half of the changes we do) so please dial back a bit of the worst case doomsaying. 

It’l never happen here. This is a China problem

It will never happen here. This is a South Korea problem.

It will never happen here. This is an Italy problem.

It will never happen here. This is a Spain problem.

The thing that irks me the most is that throughout this whole pandemic British society has considered itself somewhat immune from the measures taken in other countries. You’re a doomsayer if you want to talk about something difficult or challenging. I know social media is tough right now but people are concerned, their concerns are valid, and they are allowed to talk about them. 

Today my grandmas care home has closed its doors until further notice. She’s a frail older woman with terminal illnesses. There’s no guarantee I will see her again, especially if this goes on for months.

Both of my parents are in a high risk group.

My sister is a pregnant woman in America with no health insurance.

I am sick to death of people with valid legitimate concerns being considered overdramatic and doomsayer for simply discussing the reality of the situation. I wish wish wish I could live in La La Land. It sounds great.

• Upvote 4

Christ, I pop into this thread and it's doomsday stuff. I get that this is going to linger on and will be an ever changing situation but to say with absolutes that this will last months and years is very strange as we have no way of knowing that yet. They are working on vaccines and I would hope that we see a breakthrough with that sooner rather than later. 

Remember only Siths deal in absolutes. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The thing that irks me the most is that throughout this whole pandemic British society has considered itself somewhat immune from the measures taken in other countries. You’re a doomsayer if you want to talk about something difficult or challenging. I know social media is tough right now but people are concerned, their concerns are valid, and they are allowed to talk about them. 

Today my grandmas care home has closed its doors until further notice. She’s a frail older woman with terminal illnesses. There’s no guarantee I will see her again, especially if this goes on for months.

I am sick to death of people with valid legitimate concerns being considered overdramatic and doomsayer for simply discussing the reality of the situation. I wish wish wish I could live in La La Land. It sounds great.

Everybody wants to talk about it, this is literally what this thread is for. But you're talking in absolute ridiculous extremes which is doing much more harm than good.

It’s important to get some perspective, although the numbers will of course rise, right now there 20 people in the U.K. in a critical condition from corona virus. It wouldn’t be anywhere even close to feasible to implement all those measures you listed for anywhere near a year.

Do you think the British public would tolerate every single aspect of their life being shut down for that long for a virus that when all is said and done is not that dangerous? There would come a point long before a year that they just don’t give a toss about getting it, if it was enforced think of the London riots x 100.

it might work if it was something like Ebola with a 50% death rate and you die from drowning internally in your own blood, but not for the flu.

This is exactly why the government have delayed as long as possible because measures can only be implemented for so long.

Its not going to be great, but it’s going to be relatively short and not as wide ranging as you predict.

its important to be realistic but it’s also important to not work everyone into a frenzy unnecessarily.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m genuinely sorry to hear the hardships you’re going through with this, I get how worrying it must be for you and frustrating too. I hope you can see your Grandma again, I have faith that you will.

Your concerns are valid but what you are discussing isn’t THE reality of the situation it is a POSSIBLE reality of it.

Edited by Ozanne

We're in an unprecedented situation now. I think this year is a non-runner. I'm ticketless at present and if it is to remain that way and the festi goes ahead I'll be thrilled for everyone inside the fence, but more so for Michael and Emily who deserve to put on the amazing party they always do. My main hope is that we all, and our loved ones, can come through this and we'll come back stronger. Always thought I'd be gutted at having to sit and watch BBC coverage for a weekend, but if that comes to pass, I'll party like I'm at the Baggy Mondays at Stonebridge from my sofa all weekend. Love you all. Please take care 

• Upvote 1

If schools are closed for 16 weeks as NI are saying, and this is the same in whole of uk then we are looking at long term changes to behaviour and lifestyle. For those of us who  work in public services and social care and in the community,  who also have families this is going to be a major challenge. All communities will need to work together to support each other - we are on the roller coaster now and we aren’t getting off soon- hopefully it will be a lot better in a few weeks but it’s possible this may be a longer ride. And there will be casualties on the way. I really want a Glastonbury to happen this year - but if it doesn’t then there will be a good reason why not. We may all be reflecting on this in a few months time thinking why have we spent all his time worrying about it - but it’s not quite like the weather thread is it - whether it rains or not can’t kill you. Sorry - have drunk too much wine and feeling pessimistic tonight. But on a positive note I did find 2 extra bottles of hand sanitizer in my festival bags  and managed to get a pack of loo roll at Tesco today so not all bad. 

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m genuinely sorry to hear the hardships you’re going through with this, I get how worrying it must be for you and frustrating too. I hope you can see your Grandma again, I have faith that you will.

Your concerns are valid but what you are discussing isn’t THE reality of the situation it is a POSSIBLE reality of it.

As I've seen regularly on here, the way Matt types is in absolutes, it doesn't matter what its about. When he says something is happening, half the time he's not sure. It's happened many times the past few weeks and he's been called up on it for much smaller things. 

9 minutes ago, srb said:

We're in an unprecedented situation now. I think this year is a non-runner. I'm ticketless at present and if it is to remain that way and the festi goes ahead I'll be thrilled for everyone inside the fence, but more so for Michael and Emily who deserve to put on the amazing party they always do. My main hope is that we all, and our loved ones, can come through this and we'll come back stronger. Always thought I'd be gutted at having to sit and watch BBC coverage for a weekend, but if that comes to pass, I'll party like I'm at the Baggy Mondays at Stonebridge from my sofa all weekend. Love you all. Please take care 

Summed up my position and feelings much more eloquently than i could have done, well done.

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Do you think the British public would tolerate every single aspect of of their life being shut down for that king for a virus that when all is said and done is not that dangerous? There would come a point long before a year that they just don’t give a toss about getting it, if it was enforced think of the London riots x 100.

This is something I’m concerned about but I guess that’s total doomsday. I guess the reason why riots haven’t happened in Italy or China is because the military get involved.

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m genuinely sorry to hear the hardships you’re going through with this, I get how worrying it must be for you and frustrating too. I hope you can see your Grandma again, I have faith that you will.Your concerns are valid but what you discussing isn’t THE reality of the situation it is A reality of it.

Thank you. I guess the root of it is that seeing people belittle how bad it is can be quite annoying. It’s already pretty bad for myself personally and we are supposedly in the earliest stages. I guess my blase attitude about Glastonbury being cancelled is because it’s probably quite low down in terms of bad things that could happen to me and my family due to this virus. I can go to Glastonbury again. Whether it is in 2021 or I miss out on tickets and it’s 2022, it’s fixable. Of course the worst part of it is my concerns are not exclusive, we all have people in our lives we are concerned about.

I guess I use this forum to vent. Il work on it from now on.

This thread needs shutting down. It’s offering nobody anything.

were talking about a 5 day mad weekend here. Not (for fucks sake) the blitz.

anybody on here want to talk about the best way of finding out who’s struggling around where they live and what’s the best way you might be able to Help them?

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Thank you. I guess the root of it is that seeing people belittle how bad it is can be quite annoying.

We're not belittling it, I'm sure I speak for everyone on here when I say that we wish you and all your family the best, your personal situation doesn't sound good but that doesn't mean that your statements on here haven't been over the top. Nobody except you is talking about this lasting beyond the summer (not the worst of it anyway), or there being the level of death and destruction you're talking about.

Just because things are going to get bad, doesn't mean they're going to get as bad as you're making out and doesn't mean we're belittling you by saying so.

It sounds to me like you've got yourself into a dark place where you're fearing the worst, but instead of asking for help you've decided to try to scare the shit out of everybody else, possibly not conciously.

I’m sorry if this upsets anyone that’s been affected by the dreaded C word, but there are 1000 positive diagnosis every day, it kills around 170,000 people every year and there is no cure. We’ve all got a far higher chance of getting it and it being fatal than we have with Corona virus. There are plenty of things you can do or avoid to lower your chances of getting it, but many of us ignore that and don’t worry about, the Government don’t impose these restrictions on us either. We exist along side of without constantly worrying about and it despite it being a far higher risk to all of us.

Locking down and fundamentally changing the way people live their lives will not be possible for any real length of time. There will be measures and it will be shit, but in the main it’s going to be acute for a relatively short period and then get better.

Its important with the sensationalist media we live with today that you try and filter out the constant barrage of negatives and extremes, they don’t represent reality and neither do people like Matt.

its going to be shit for a bit but will get better, and we already live with far far far more concerning things on a daily basis 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

It sounds to me like you've got yourself into a dark place where you're fearing the worst, but instead of asking for help you've decided to try to scare the shit out of everybody else, possibly not conciously.

Possibly, I will work on it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Possibly, I will work on it.

This is a friendly place, as I'm sure you know,  if you're struggling don't be afraid to ask.

I'm worried about my parents too, my stepdad has diabetes but he's 2 years short of retirement age so is still going out to work. It's not good really, but I'm still positive about the next few months.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m sorry if this upsets anyone that’s been infected by the dreaded C word, but there are 1000 positive diagnosis every day, it kills around 170,000 people every year and there is no cure. We’ve all got a far higher chance of getting it and it being fatal than we have with Corona virus. There are plenty of things you can do or avoid to lower your chances of getting it, but many of us ignore that and don’t worry about, the Government don’t impose these restrictions on us either. We exist along side of without constantly worrying about and it despite it being a far higher risk to all of us.

Locking down and fundamentally changing the way people live their lives will not be possible for any real length of time. There will be measures and it will be shit, but in the main it’s going to be acute for a relatively short period and then get better.

Its important with the sensationalist media we live with today that you try and filter out the constant barrage of negatives and extremes, they don’t represent reality and neither do people like Matt.

its going to be shit for a bit but will get better, and we already live with far far far more concerning things on a daily basis 

I understand your view and the sentiment, but I disagree with this part.

You can’t compare peak cancer numbers to a new virus which we haven’t reached peak numbers of yet. Cancer is also not contagious, nor is it something that would affect human social contact.

I understand the perspective of the numbers argument but they should not be compared at all. They aren’t in the same ballpark and they have their own exclusive issues.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m sorry if this upsets anyone that’s been infected by the dreaded C word, but there are 1000 positive diagnosis every day, it kills around 170,000 people every year and there is no cure. We’ve all got a far higher chance of getting it and it being fatal than we have with Corona virus. There are plenty of things you can do or avoid to lower your chances of getting it, but many of us ignore that and don’t worry about, the Government don’t impose these restrictions on us either. We exist along side of without constantly worrying about and it despite it being a far higher risk to all of us.

That's simply not true, my mum's had cancer twice (bowel & breast) and pulled through she's now 85, if she gets coronovirus I doubt she would make it as her chest isn't 100%. You can make an argument that it's time for her to go but as you can imagine that's not one i'm prepared to accept.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I understand your view and the sentiment, but I disagree with this part.

You can’t compare peak cancer numbers to a new virus which we haven’t reached peak numbers of yet. Cancer is also not contagious, nor is it something that would affect human social contact.

I understand the perspective of the numbers argument but they should not be compared at all. They aren’t in the same ballpark and they have their own exclusive issues.

Yes I get what your saying, the logic was aimed at people like Matt and the fact that we live with something far more dangerous on a daily basis and I presume he doesn’t go into meltdown over it.

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

So, Peston himself uses the term "wartime-like" when talking about people over 70 being quarrantined for over 4 months. It just seems crazy to use that kind of language. The last war on our soil went on for 4 years, had much more wide-reaching effects on daily life and caused 56 million deaths globally.

It's just stupid, irrational, irresponsible language to use.

Everyone seems to be missing the second word of the entire article too.. ‘COULD’