Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

18 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Still some not comprehending the level of social change we are about to experience

What exactly do you mean by this? Hyperbolic statements like this only serve to induce panic.

I'm sure things are going to be bad, hospitals will run out of space, food will be rationed for a while, but I don't think it's quite the same as being bombed by the Germans.

Just now, bombfrog said:

What exactly do you mean by this? Hyperbolic statements like this only serve to induce panic.

I'm sure things are going to be bad, hospitals will run out of space, food will be rationed for a while, but I don't think it's quite the same as being bombed by the Germans.

And I'm sure most of us were around for that right? 

No. So no we haven't experienced that kind of social change. 

Just now, chazwwe said:

And I'm sure most of us were around for that right? 

No. So no we haven't experienced that kind of social change. 

And we're not going to, because it's not comparable. The last time our ancestors did the Germans were literally flying over them dropping bombs on their houses.

Get a fucking grip people.

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

And we're not going to, because it's not comparable. The last time our ancestors did the Germans were literally flying over them dropping bombs on their houses.

32000 civilians killed in the Blitz. And at least there was an air siren to warn you!

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

I just checked, China currently has 3189 deaths and a population of  1.435 billion people.

Yep, a reliable figure that Italy has already reached half of in a matter of days.

And if it is a reliable figure, one that was mercifully capped, by locking people in their houses for 6 weeks

Just to put it out there, medical centres across NZ have all their staff wearing masks and it's probably one of the least affected areas out there. If you are showing signs of a cold or caught you are not to enter the building. I think my middle of April it's going to be difficult to travel anywhere but where you are from, there is going to be a lot of people that simply can't get back or arrange flights to return home.

I get people say about 3 months time but it's what is happening now with future proceedings that is a big problem. 

2 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Yep, a reliable figure that Italy has already reached half of in a matter of days.

And if it is a reliable figure, one that was mercifully capped, by locking people in their houses for 6 weeks

Doesn't matter. This isn't a war. Stop it now.

31 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

28 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Are you ready for gatherings including weddings, funerals, concerts, meetings, bars, restaurants, shops, to close for nearly a year? Are you ready for heavy travel restrictions between cities and the possibility of being separated from your family for months?

Are you ready to basically have heightened restrictions on social mobility for months on end?

No one in my generation nor my parents generation have experienced anything like this. I don’t think you realise how much freedom you do have until it is taken away. On Monday modern life is going to change as we know it for the foreseeable future. This will be introduced until it goes away, not for a month or so, until it goes away.

I understand you don’t want this to happen, no one does, but telling people they are overreacting and that they need to get a grip is setting yourself up to have the greatest egg on your face soon.

The fact that you think this can’t / is unlikely happen means that you (like many others) have never experienced a world where things like this do happen. We are the most privileged generation, but that’s about to change.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

Italy announcing nearly 3,500 new cases today with 175 deaths

In the past few days Italy have been reporting on average 2,500 new cases a day.

If they (for example) continue this pattern of only 2500 a day (which they regularly exceed), they will overtake China in 23 days.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Are you ready for gatherings including weddings, funerals, concerts, meetings, bars, restaurants, shops, to close for nearly a year? Are you ready for heavy travel restrictions between cities and the possibility of being separated from your family for months?

Are you ready to basically have heightened restrictions on social mobility for months on end?

No one in my generation nor my parents generation have experienced anything like this. I don’t think you realise how much freedom you do have until it is taken away. On Monday modern life is going to change as we know it for the foreseeable future. This will be introduced until it goes away, not for a month or so, until it goes away.

I understand you don’t want this to happen, no one does, but telling people they are overreacting and that they need to get a grip is setting yourself up to have the greatest egg on your face soon.

The fact that you think this can’t / is unlikely happen means that you (like many others) have never experienced a world where things like this do happen. We are the most privileged generation, but that’s about to change.

You're missing the point.

Stopwn1981 said... 

"Is the current generation ready for a war-like footing - I highly doubt it."

What exactly is a "war-like footing"? None of the things you mentioned, certainly. Ask people living in Syria at the moment if it's a fair comparison.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It won’t be anywhere near as extensive as that or for as long. How many times have they said don’t want it going back into the next flu season? Measure that strict and long lasting would be impossible and would cause issues significantly greater than the virus itself 

Just now, bombfrog said:

You're missing the point.

Stopwn1981 said... 

"Is the current generation ready for a war-like footing - I highly doubt it."

What exactly is a "war-like footing"? None of the things you mentioned, certainly. Ask people living in Syria at the moment if it's a fair comparison.

War-like-footing means blitz style procedures such as curfews, travel restrictions, strict measures introduced to limit social mobility. It is highly comparable.

Do you think middle class youth of today have any concept of what it is like to have rations? This is why many people did not take this virus seriously when it was first breaking the news. We’ve pretty much had two generations now with people completely free of any kind of restrictions as this. It’s alien to most people, and they have brushed it off because they have no concept of it being a real thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Do most people in this thread believe this is where we are heading? 

I have no strong opinion on it either way as I just don’t know. I don’t want to read the last 15 pages I missed because I suspect it will make me grumpy.   

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It won’t be anywhere near as extensive as that or for as long. How many times have they said don’t want it going back into the next flu season? Measure that strict and long lasting would be impossible and would cause issues significantly greater than the virus itself 

The press have got wind of what is being announced on Monday and I think you’ve got a big storm coming.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Matt42 said:

The press have got wind of what is being announced on Monday and I think you’ve got a big storm coming.

Everyone knows they’re announcing the next stage and new measures on Monday. But what you’ve done is listed every possible thing that could be locked down and suggested it would for as long as a year. There will be measures for sure, but it won’t be all of those and it won’t be for a year.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It almost sounds like you’re happy about all this, kind of like you’re actively wishing this on people just so you can be proven right.