Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

Just seen Kendall Calling have put out a statement that reassures ticket purchases that IF it were to be cancelled that their ticket would be valid for 2021 or choose a refund. Obviously very different in size, popularity and demand to Glastonbury but it would give a lot of people on here peace of mind if Glastonbury offered the same. I know it’s not a major thing in context but would be one less thing playing on some people’s minds in these worrying times. 

9D3DA501-7DB8-49FF-86CD-6AB5C806AD44.png

2 minutes ago, Billjames7 said:

Just seen Kendall Calling have put out a statement that reassures ticket purchases that IF it were to be cancelled that their ticket would be valid for 2021 or choose a refund. Obviously very different in size, popularity and demand to Glastonbury but it would give a lot of people on here peace of mind if Glastonbury offered the same. I know it’s not a major thing in context but would be one less thing playing on some people’s minds in these worrying times.

Please, no comments of hope or optimism in this thread. You’ll only be shot down and hung out to dry.. try your luck in other threads.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Need to keep out of this thread it is so miserable, gonna stick to the facts and not click for a week.

Cant even express you want Glastonbury to be on without being made to feel like a murderer.

image.gif.ee38776cafbe96f431a3b2fa033dc6b5.gif

Edited by Homer
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Yeah I can contemplate that - go if you think you'll be OK, but if you're in a high risk group or know people who are, its most probably not worth the risk.

I'm not really sure what to do in all fairness. I have tickets to go to see Frank Turner tonight in a 2,000 capacity theatre but I'm not sure I should be going.

Thats exactly the gig I've just had to cancel :(

8 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

It looks like the Olympics is going ahead in July. I know different event (and Asia appears to be coping better atm) but positive news.

I just don't believe the Olympics will go ahead this year--I know they're insisting it will, but I think that's completely delusional - travelling overseas is about to get a lot more difficult (according to that buzz field article) due to countries banning people from other countries. Flight demand is rock bottom, airlines will likely be making mass redundancies. 

53 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Shit! So the entire population of Italy now has coronavirus now do they?

Mortality rate in Italy is ca 8%,  bucking the trend totally

Edited by Lycra

53 minutes ago, jparx said:

I thought it wasn't completely known but likely around 1%?

Latest official WHO figure was 3.8% globally but there are big national variations. Italy for instance is around 8% whilst South Korea is running at 0.7%

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Latest official WHO figure was 3.8% globally but there are big national variations. Italy for instance is around 8% whilst South Korea is running at 0.7%

You’re still missing the point. My post you quoted stating it was completely incorrect had nothing to do with the death rate, whatever that happens to be.

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Italy has a higher proportion of older people living in close proximity who have underlying health issues. They’re going to get hit harder unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The problem in Italy is people aren't getting access to care becuase the hospitals just can't cope. If people don't get treated the date rate is much higher. Thats why theres been all this talk of flattening the curve, slow the spread so that when people start to get sick it happens gradually and not all at once and the hospitals can cope. The UK gov doesn't seem to have been interested in flattening the curve though. The fact that many in this thread would still even considering going anywhere like a gym, pub or gig is a clear sign that reality of whats happening simply hasn't sunk in.

• Upvote 1

I have a feeling Glastonbury will be fine since it's late June, feel like it's the May/early June festivals like Slam Dunk, All Points East and Download that might get hit. Big Weekend has already bit the dust, have a feeling it won't be the last.

Don't bite my head off for being optimistic please! 

Is this thread still going?

Anyone who thinks Glastonbury is going ahead this year is quite frankly delusional. I am sure the penny will drop at some point.

We are staring down the barrel of the greatest amount of global social and economic upheaval in living memory.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, chazwwe said:

I mean you say that but if the UK does get 80% infected thats 48 Million people. 1% of that is 480,000 people in the UK alone dying from this. 

Is this 480,000 more than die in a normal year though? How many people usually die annually?

I am not a virologist, in fact I don't have any medical training whatsoever, but I am completely certain I know exactly what is going to happen over the next few weeks and months.

Edited by uscore
  • Upvote 2

And for those being guided by the science - professor whitty said we were 3-4 weeks behind Italy and 12 weeks from the peak. So Italy is currently now, according to the science 2 months from their peak! And the peak takes weeks to drop off after that.

Mindblowing

9 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Is this thread still going?

Anyone who thinks Glastonbury is going ahead this year is quite frankly delusional. I am sure the penny will drop at some point.

We are staring down the barrel of the greatest amount of global social and economic upheaval in living memory.

There’s no need to be rude about people trying to look on the positive side of it.

This might be the wrong train of thought but I am very uncomfortable with the idea of further emergency powers for the government especially this Tory government. Who’s to say we would get any of the power and freedoms back. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Is this 480,000 more than die in a normal year though? How many people usually die annually?

This is 480,000 people dying as a result of catching this virus. Some might have died of something else I suppose, but it’s like saying don’t try to cure cancer cos they might get hit by a bus anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

This is 480,000 people dying as a result of catching this virus. Some might have died of something else I suppose, but it’s like saying don’t try to cure cancer cos they might get hit by a bus anyway. 

Yeah, people are still going to get his by busses and die from cancer whilst this virus is ravaging the population.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

There’s no need to be rude about people trying to look on the positive side of it.

This might be the wrong train of thought but I am very uncomfortable with the idea of further emergency powers for the government especially this Tory government. Who’s to say we would get any of the power and freedoms back. 

Not trying to be rude, genuinely not and couldn’t agree more regarding the Tory scum. 

Hope and optimism are great qualities. But so are pragmatism and realism.

We all need to be gearing up now to protect ourselves and support others.

3 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Grow up. Like they’re going to stop people assembling or football forever for fun. It isn’t the Conservative party historically that wants a huge government that reaches out and interferes with everything. 

Man who spews ill-informed, tabloid-level misinformation tells other people to 'grow up'. Jesus.

• Upvote 3

Im still optimistic that glastonbury will go ahead. If you look at historical figures for deaths from flu we're nowhere near them. The biggest change over the years is the depletion of health services and their ability to deal with anything that puts the slightest strain on services. This is a seasonal virus and it will pass i think theres a lot of scaremongering going on at the moment. I work with a lot of health professionals who have a very pragmatic approach to it all, good hygiene on everyone's part. Stay away from people you know to be vulnerable if you have any cold/flu like symptoms and keep calm and carry on.