Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

A bit reassuring

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/how-many-will-die-of-coronavirus-in-the-uk-a-closer-look-at-the-numbers

The World Health Organization (WHO) has estimated the mortality rate from Covid-19 is about 3.4%. That is higher than seasonal flu and is cause for concern – but even if it is correct, more than 96% of people who become infected with the coronavirus will recover.

Any death is, of course, devastating for the families involved. But it is also worth noting the WHO estimate is based on confirmed infections and deaths, meaning it does not take into account mild cases that may not be diagnosed – cases that would lower the mortality rate.

Indeed experts say that, in reality, the mortality rate is likely to be nearer to 1% or less. In other words, more than 99% of those who become infected are expected to survive.

Just now, O'Doyle Rules said:

So...there’s a chance? 

😆😆😆

Not necessarily, but what I mean is that Emily’s statement and the poster dropping wouldn't have been done based on the expectation this will disappear overnight.

Everyone is crapping themselves more day by day, not necessarily about Glastonbury but about everything as things ramp up. However it was always going to happen this way and the festival would have been aware of that.

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

A bit reassuring

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/how-many-will-die-of-coronavirus-in-the-uk-a-closer-look-at-the-numbers

The World Health Organization (WHO) has estimated the mortality rate from Covid-19 is about 3.4%. That is higher than seasonal flu and is cause for concern – but even if it is correct, more than 96% of people who become infected with the coronavirus will recover.

Any death is, of course, devastating for the families involved. But it is also worth noting the WHO estimate is based on confirmed infections and deaths, meaning it does not take into account mild cases that may not be diagnosed – cases that would lower the mortality rate.

Indeed experts say that, in reality, the mortality rate is likely to be nearer to 1% or less. In other words, more than 99% of those who become infected are expected to survive.

I mean you say that but if the UK does get 80% infected thats 48 Million people. 1% of that is 480,000 people in the UK alone dying from this. 

28 minutes ago, Piltonperson said:

I live in Pilton and by now the fence would have started to go up. It hasn't. Do you all think thar we as a village want 200.000 people here during a coronavirus outbreak? The festival ran out of water last year.how are you going to wash your hands? The stall holders are due to pay their exorbitant rents for pitch, leccy and water. Do they want to risk this money? Do they really want to serve you? Do bands really want you joining in the singing? Do the locals want you taking our hospital beds? Many of you don't realise that locals get sent home during the festival even if they have cancer just to make room for you all. And as for eavis not in it for the money? Hilarious!!!!! 

The fence doesn’t start going up in March! What the hell are you taking about! 

Very much doubt you’re a Pilton person. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, chazwwe said:

I mean you say that but if the UK does get 80% infected thats 48 Million people. 1% of that is 480,000 people in the UK alone dying from this. 

80% wont get infected in one go, plus if the government plans are followed and the more at risk people take proper precautions, as well as everyone else then less at risk people will actually get it. The at risk people will then become less at risk simply because it will have passed though a decent percentage of the population who won’t then be able to pass it on to them.

Just now, Piltonperson said:

No not a troll. Was interested in what festival goers were thinking. Was actually a bit shocked at how selfish (and nasty!) people are. I have family who love this festival as I did when it wasn't a corporate fest. Hope to see you all next year. Stay safe!

BknDTWCIgAAgaqA.thumb.jpg.79d379a9f00dcd9fb2da6fdb1dc5810c.jpg

3 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

This Events ban was always going to happen, it was just a matter of when. Earlier the better from a Glastonbury POV. I’m expecting it to run until the end of April personally, with the potential to be extended.

I hope this is the case.

not read all of thread but if it was to be cancelled will the people who have tickets just get a refund or will they transfer to the next time the festival is on I wonder?

46 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well they can can’t they, if they want to? If it’s not happening this year they can still postpone it until next year, I mean it’s not against any actual laws is it?

It's a bit like having your "birthday" a few weeks after your actual birthday if something stopped you from celebrating it on the real date. You can do it, but it's not quite the same.

2 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

It’s never this early I walked round last May and it wasn’t up then 

Yep, sometime in May is when they start building the perimeter fence, exact date varies

7 minutes ago, Piltonperson said:

No not a troll. Was interested in what festival goers were thinking. Was actually a bit shocked at how selfish (and nasty!) people are. I have family who love this festival as I did when it wasn't a corporate fest. Hope to see you all next year. Stay safe!

You say this but start off with lies. 

The fence doesn't even start until late April/early May. 

6 minutes ago, CY 2019 said:

I hope this is the case.

not read all of thread but if it was to be cancelled will the people who have tickets just get a refund or will they transfer to the next time the festival is on I wonder?

Who knows 😎

Edited by oneeye

53 minutes ago, Piltonperson said:

I live in Pilton and by now the fence would have started to go up. It hasn't. Do you all think thar we as a village want 200.000 people here during a coronavirus outbreak? The festival ran out of water last year.how are you going to wash your hands? The stall holders are due to pay their exorbitant rents for pitch, leccy and water. Do they want to risk this money? Do they really want to serve you? Do bands really want you joining in the singing? Do the locals want you taking our hospital beds? Many of you don't realise that locals get sent home during the festival even if they have cancer just to make room for you all. And as for eavis not in it for the money? Hilarious!!!!! 

Bowing to your more local knowledge I'd question whether the fence has ever started to go up by mid-March 🤔

Edited by parsonjack

45 minutes ago, Piltonperson said:

I don’t know who you are, but as a villager myself I am happy chat in the village face to face with you should you wish to identify yourself.

the fence does NOT start to go up until May. I run around the farm everyday and have never seen the fence start in March. 

oh and just to clarify, the festival did not run out of water last year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 21