Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

So, just a feeling then and they officially announced the line-up just yesterday.

As you were everyone....

In the unlikely event they’ve had reassurances from government, which gave them the confidence to release, then maybe. Whatever the fallout from Cheltenham festival will be in the next fortnight may also dictate. I’m not doom and glooming it, glastonbury is one of the most important things to me but it is essentially an outdoor event like any other (and any other seems to be cancelling by the day)

3 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

In the unlikely event they’ve had reassurances from government, which gave them the confidence to release, then maybe. Whatever the fallout from Cheltenham festival will be in the next fortnight may also dictate. I’m not doom and glooming it, glastonbury is one of the most important things to me but it is essentially an outdoor event like any other (and any other seems to be cancelling by the day)

I'm not interested in arguing with you about it. The point is that you said.

"Unfortunately, I believe it is going to be cancelled next week"

Which sounds like "I've heard news it's going to be cancelled", whereas it was just an opinion. It's important to distinguish on here because there are plenty of people claiming to know things they don't.

The only thing we know right now is that unless the government says otherwise they're planning to go through with it, anything else is conjecture.

45 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've been a bit giddy tonight, sorry.

What I was getting at is that it's tempting to get the virus and fight it off well before the festival. I'm not even sure if I was joking.

But to be clear, I have no concrete plans to attend a party to catch coronavirus and I'm not aware that any exist.

But coronaparty really should be the name of the next Confidence Man single.

838_1500917597_2d369e9a7457ba5eb3dcdb9d5

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Imagine the scenario that this cancellation of mass gatherings manages to bring numbers under control within 6-8 weeks, just in time for the build. The festival has held strong, not guaranteeing it'll be on, but resisting the calls to cancel as well.

Uncertainty looms over the entire event, but the plans slowly and carefully proceed. The ban on mass gatherings is lifted around early June, and Glastonbury is not only held, but becomes an iconic demonstration of our resilience to carry on, and our care for each other that ushered in a fall in numbers infected.

Yes it could be cancelled, but it could also be the best Glastonbury there's ever been.

Those was my exact feelings on Coachella carrying on for April if things didnt spiral this week. Somebody must  break through and be that beacon of hope and show that you can have an iconic event with no issues and feel somewhat normal even for a few days. they were at least able to move it to October and its unprecedented to see it happen being as its my 'local'' festival for almost 20 years. we cannot afford to see the pillars of the festival world fall, and if Glasto can take place and stake its place as one of the most important moments of this very young decade, its worth  all of this pain and uncertainty we all feel right now.

And yeah, my flights booked and everything as it is. So Im flying over there no matter what, but I would rather not come away empty handed. If this was to be the last Glasto i could attend, Im ok with that. I would never want to have endless days thinking of what could have been, and most of you would feel the same.

9 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Wide awake at this time as my boyfriend has developed symptoms suspiciously similar to that of Coronavirus. He’s struggling to not keep coughing at the moment. Looks like that’s us in isolation for a week then. 

Hope you and your boyfriend are ok Tartan.

• Like 1

99 pages long so apologies if this has ready been discussed....

But could they postpone everything by a month? Boomtown (mid august) posted today that they expect to go ahead as it's august. 

Assuming everything else on the planet is cancelled (looking likely) the artists are unlikely to have anything else booked/ there may be others who have had cancellations who are now free and logistically all the uk contractors will be desperate for business after cancellations so wanting to make it happen. And, finally they also own most of the land and the parts they don't own but lease aren't being used for much else.

Obviously this is hoping and praying that the worst scenarios don't come true, which if they do festivals will be your least concern. 

21 minutes ago, Clubber Lang said:

Hope you and your boyfriend are ok Tartan.

Thanks bud

Just a bit odd cause he’s not the type to really get cold/flus but he came home yesterday saying he felt he had a cold coming on. I get in from work today and he’s curled up on the couch saying he can’t heat up but when I feel him he’s roasting. Then this evening the cough has started. 

We both fairly young and healthy-ish so hopefully it should pass with no issues.

6 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Thanks bud

Just a bit odd cause he’s not the type to really get cold/flus but he came home yesterday saying he felt he had a cold coming on. I get in from work today and he’s curled up on the couch saying he can’t heat up but when I feel him he’s roasting. Then this evening the cough has started. 

We both fairly young and healthy-ish so hopefully it should pass with no issues.

Get well soon guys, hope ya’s have got some bog roll. 

• Like 1

No one knows what’s going to happen, obviously it could very easily be cancelled. One thing we’re not going to know though is if it’s cancelled over 3 months in advance. That’s just not going to happen, if they can put the festival on then they will. They obviously have not a great idea themselves yet because they released the lineup only yesterday. 

It would be nice to hear if they have a contingency plan or just to hear what’s going to happen in regards to potential priority for next years festival. 

Okay, let's get to the facts. There is a rumor that mass gatherings in the UK could be cancelled 'as early as next weekend' (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51882897). This rumor, if it is true, doesn't denote the timeframe of these cancellations, and so it is entirely possible that Glastonbury could fall outside of these restrictions. Whilst we can speculate about the state of the festival, neither I, nor Emily, or anyone on this forum truly know what the outcome will be. Rather than projecting our worst fears onto the forum, I think we should use the facts in order to remain positive about the bash.

Totally agree, @Ragingbunion93.

I don’t see how this changes the festival’s position at all. They’ve already conceded that they don’t know what the situation will be in 15 weeks time, but they’re going to plough on regardless. 

Is that now any less true? No. 

The only thing that worries me is that the peak of this bastard is currently forecast to arrive very close to the festival itself, and why would the government reverse a policy on mass gatherings until the situation on the ground is materially different?

But that thinking is loaded with assumptions that just can’t be made. We are still in the same position we were in this time last week - be aware, take maximum precautions, wait it out and hope for the best. 

Edited by kalifire

I came here to have a whinge but am loving the positivity.

On a purely selfish note, I literally work on the front line in "travel & tourism", live with an elderly relative, and have a medical condition that, according to The Daily Heil, means I have a 10% chance of not getting out the other side should I contract this.

Also, but less seriously, but more selfish, I don't think I've ever had so much stuff booked and things to look forward to as I have right now.

First one is Tuesday in a 1,400 capacity venue. Been looking forward to it for months. It's looking edgy.

Then at least another two between that and the big G, both in big London venues.

I would willingly have them all cancelled and self isolate in order to have Glasto happen.

After all this? Should be the best one ever!

• Like 1

This Events ban was always going to happen, it was just a matter of when. Earlier the better from a Glastonbury POV. I’m expecting it to run until the end of April personally, with the potential to be extended.

Considering the facts laid out about what can happen, I think we mightve missed one thing which could point to when restrictions would be lifted. Big Weekend was canceled yesterday and that was a sizable surprise given its just over  2 months from now.

Would the organizers not be privy to getting an advance notice of what was to come? They mightve made their decision based on when the ban could be lifted and would not be able to wait it out. Then they find out it got extended a week or 2 which overlaps with their event. 

Basing it off that, lets say its 60 days and that still leaves another month of flexibility for Glasto. 

Obviously this is all ideal scenarios but not totally out of the realm of possibility.

5 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Wide awake at this time as my boyfriend has developed symptoms suspiciously similar to that of Coronavirus. He’s struggling to not keep coughing at the moment. Looks like that’s us in isolation for a week then. 

Very best wishes to you both, keep us updated. We need to look after the efestivals family

20 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Considering the facts laid out about what can happen, I think we mightve missed one thing which could point to when restrictions would be lifted. Big Weekend was canceled yesterday and that was a sizable surprise given its just over  2 months from now.

Would the organizers not be privy to getting an advance notice of what was to come? They mightve made their decision based on when the ban could be lifted and would not be able to wait it out. Then they find out it got extended a week or 2 which overlaps with their event. 

Basing it off that, lets say its 60 days and that still leaves another month of flexibility for Glasto. 

Obviously this is all ideal scenarios but not totally out of the realm of possibility.

I think it's more likely that events started to cancel catching the government on the hop and forcing them to take action 

I'm leaning towards the event being cancelled or (much smaller chance) being pushed back a month or two, but I really don't see them cancelling it anytime soon. I think they will hold off and see what the situation is late April/May.

If the government does a u turn on Monday, it doesn't change anything for the festival. They're not going to ban mass events through June - it will be until Easter/end of April (initially I mean - obviously it could be extended as we go forward). As I've been saying for a couple weeks now - the situation in a month's time will be crucial. People seem keen for definitive news on this ASAP, but I firmly believe you'll have to wait a fair bit longer yet. And frankly they have no need to cancel it next week. Nothing has changed since their statement, other than the situation has accelerated, which frankly could help them out.

Edited by jparx