Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

4 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Seeing as this thread appears to be full of people constantly agreeing it’s done and getting cancelled, and you’ve managed to scare off anyone who wants to remain positive..

Do you not think all of your negativity is just reinforcing each other’s views and convincing you further that it’s over. This thread is absolutely morbid.

Yep, I’m out of here for a bit, this thread is putting me in a right bad mood. 😒 I’m all for being pragmatic & facing up to reality, but too many seem to be wallowing in the misery of a potential cancellation - it’s not healthy.

• Upvote 1

Imagine the scenario that this cancellation of mass gatherings manages to bring numbers under control within 6-8 weeks, just in time for the build. The festival has held strong, not guaranteeing it'll be on, but resisting the calls to cancel as well.

Uncertainty looms over the entire event, but the plans slowly and carefully proceed. The ban on mass gatherings is lifted around early June, and Glastonbury is not only held, but becomes an iconic demonstration of our resilience to carry on, and our care for each other that ushered in a fall in numbers infected.

Yes it could be cancelled, but it could also be the best Glastonbury there's ever been.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 12

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Imagine the scenario that this cancellation of mass gatherings manages to bring numbers under control within 6-8 weeks, just in time for the build. The festival has held strong, not guaranteeing it'll be on, but resisting the calls to cancel as well.

Uncertainty looms over the entire event, but the plans slowly and carefully proceed. The ban on mass gatherings is lifted around early June, and Glastonbury is not only held, but becomes an iconic demonstration of our resilience to carry on, and our care for each other that ushered in a fall in numbers infected.

Yes it could be cancelled, but it could also be the best Glastonbury there's ever been.

You sir, have made my night. 

B5FDB6EC-8FE4-41D7-8CA5-B8C4E4CD51D9.jpeg

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

If anyone can do it, Boris can.

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That was a bit tongue in cheek.  I should have said "If you strongly suspect you've been in contact with a person or people who are infected to the point where infection is likely".  But coronaparty seemed snappier :)  I was going to caveat by saying that it might be inadvertent attendance ;)

In all seriousness though, if you know you can lock yourself and your household down for 2-3 weeks, so you can avoid spreading the virus, especially to those at risk, there could be a case for controlling your exposure.  You're a hell of a lot less likely to hurt someone if you have immunity.  Getting it and not knowing you're a spreader could be much worse.

Unfortunately, I have a very gregarious 7 year old and a mother in law in her late 60s who lives nearby.  It doesn't seem like a good course of action for me.  But if I lived alone (as well as working from home)... then I would consider it.

Oh, I was thinking people were throwing coronaparties so they could catch it, which seems like a bad idea. But what did you mean when you said this earlier:

"Shit man, I'm going to a corona party soon". What makes you think there'll be corona, wherever it is you're going? 🤔

10 minutes ago, kalifire said:

<upvote>

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Honestly, if that happened I think it would be pretty fucking special. I've been down on its chances tonight but that scenario playing out to the letter would be pretty grand, and I say that even as someone who would only be watching it on TV.

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Oh, I was thinking people were throwing coronaparties so they could catch it, which seems like a bad idea. But what did you mean when you said this earlier:

"Shit man, I'm going to a corona party soon". What makes you think there'll be corona, wherever it is you're going? 🤔

I've been a bit giddy tonight, sorry.

What I was getting at is that it's tempting to get the virus and fight it off well before the festival. I'm not even sure if I was joking.

But to be clear, I have no concrete plans to attend a party to catch coronavirus and I'm not aware that any exist.

But coronaparty really should be the name of the next Confidence Man single.

It’s past midnight on Friday (technically Saturday now) we’re not going to be getting any more information from the government till around lunchtime on Monday. Until then it’s just wild speculation fuelled by tabloid rumours. 

Two days of this will tear us all apart. Let’s just keep it chilled and relaxed until we actually get official word from either GFL or the government. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve been

11 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Is this new information or just a feeling?

I’ve been trying to be positive but the reality is, late June is too soon to “hold tight” and see. You’re talking about one of the largest festivals on the planet - think of the planning, contracts, labour force it requires. Preparing until the last minute and cancelling just before would cripple the festival. Cancelling now cuts losses and arguably makes it even more in demand next year. If it was held in August, I think it could happen but they’ll cancel and do it next June. They can’t postpone because think of the impact on the businesses’ cycles nearby. I’ve been 10+ times and was due to go again, but the realism has set in.

1 minute ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

I’ve been

I’ve been trying to be positive but the reality is, late June is too soon to “hold tight” and see. You’re talking about one of the largest festivals on the planet - think of the planning, contracts, labour force it requires. Preparing until the last minute and cancelling just before would cripple the festival. Cancelling now cuts losses and arguably makes it even more in demand next year. If it was held in August, I think it could happen but they’ll cancel and do it next June. They can’t postpone because think of the impact on the businesses’ cycles nearby. I’ve been 10+ times and was due to go again, but the realism has set in.

So, just a feeling then and they officially announced the line-up just yesterday.

As you were everyone....

Edited by bombfrog

Not sure it's a u-turn as it's always been on the cards but my concern is that we are in the realm of public opinion.  While the government can stand tall, they can be (and have been) undermined by sporting establishments.  Misinformation and panic seems to be the order of the day (I had a call from my Mum concerned that Cardiff had shut down today), and unfortunately this is always at the expense of logic.  I could pull out my spreadsheet that shows how the UK is tracking against France and Italy (similar population size), and how when France introduced bans on public gatherings (5k) back at the end of February it appears to have had limited impact.  What will come back at me is the fact that I don't understand the severity of the situation, and that I should be more responsible.  The truth is no-one understands what the severity will be, and the best we can do is try to understand it as things develop rather than thinking we have all the answers now.  People need to stop talking in absolutes, and enforcing these absolutes on others in increasingly condescending ways.  If someone has hope, is that such a bad thing?  Does it really require someone to stamp all over it?  I'm off to listen to the playlist of the festival I know may not happen.

• Upvote 2