Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Why are people throwing Corona parties? Surely it's better to just... not catch it?

That was a bit tongue in cheek.  I should have said "If you strongly suspect you've been in contact with a person or people who are infected to the point where infection is likely".  But coronaparty seemed snappier :)  I was going to caveat by saying that it might be inadvertent attendance ;)

In all seriousness though, if you know you can lock yourself and your household down for 2-3 weeks, so you can avoid spreading the virus, especially to those at risk, there could be a case for controlling your exposure.  You're a hell of a lot less likely to hurt someone if you have immunity.  Getting it and not knowing you're a spreader could be much worse.

Unfortunately, I have a very gregarious 7 year old and a mother in law in her late 60s who lives nearby.  It doesn't seem like a good course of action for me.  But if I lived alone (as well as working from home)... then I would consider it.

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Seeing as this thread appears to be full of people constantly agreeing it’s done and getting cancelled, and you’ve managed to scare off anyone who wants to remain positive..

Do you not think all of your negativity is just reinforcing each other’s views and convincing you further that it’s over. This thread is absolutely morbid.

Morbid is talking about people dying. This is talking about a festival getting cancelled.

I think it's much better people don't have false hope.

Just now, arcade fireman said:

Had Glasto been in August then conceivably there could have been a way. Maybe.

But expecting a festival with >200,000 on site to happen in 2.5 months when the govt is going to ban >500 capacity events from next week is totally unrealistic unfortunately.

It’s 3.5 months tho, seems a long way away at the mo. The build itself is still 3 months away 

7 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I’m guessing that this ban will fuck any gigs due to take place too? I’ve got Nick Cave and due to be taking the Mrs to Harry Styles too

Yeah probably. Can't see Bon Iver chancing it. Caribou and Bicep at the start of April, surely won't make it.

1 minute ago, ModernMan said:

It’s 3.5 months tho, seems a long way away at the mo. The build itself is still 3 months away 

Sorry yes - that's my mistake!

But the principle still stands.

New cases will probably be declining by then.

But a second surge is what the govt will want to avoid at all costs.

Glasto is pretty much the perfect environment to contribute towards this.

23 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Everybody calm the fuck down 

the sooner they crack down on events the better 

Are they going to cancel events for THREE months?

The answer is no they aren’t 

I agree, they won’t do that. It’ll probably be 4-6 weeks then into the summer when they’ll talk about herd immunity again and the summer months helping the strain on the NHS.

I think maybe we all need a bit of perspective and to remember what is at stake here. I would love to be on the farm in June but life is about to dramatically change for almost all of us for an unspecified amount of time. Lives will be lost and livelihoods altered massively. Look out for each other and be kind x

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Seeing as this thread appears to be full of people constantly agreeing it’s done and getting cancelled, and you’ve managed to scare off anyone who wants to remain positive..

If you’d rather discuss who’d be subbing on the Pyramid or what happened to Royal Blood etc, then this is probably the wrong thread

Just now, Joshuwarr said:

I think maybe we all need a bit of perspective and to remember what is at stake here. I would love to be on the farm in June but life is about to dramatically change for almost all of us for an unspecified amount of time. Lives will be lost and livelihoods altered massively. Look out for each other and be kind x

<upvote>

soz, none left!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoBalls said:

I feel like we need two of these threads like we do with the weather threads - the serious one and the NFCNFC (No f*cking Coronavirus, no f*cking compromise) one...

We did have 2 but the other one was mercilessly taken away from us 😤

13 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I’m guessing that this ban will fuck any gigs due to take place too? I’ve got Nick Cave and due to be taking the Mrs to Harry Styles too

Yeah.

Although I have a ticket to see Frank Turner tomorrow night and that doesn't seem to be covered by this ban... yet. Could move super fast. In two minds - part of me doesn't think its worth the risk and might stay home, part of me thinks it could last show for a long time and should enjoy it like it actually is.

I was mulling over a few June/July events but I'm holding out little-to-no hope for the earlier of them at this point.

8 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Do you not think all of your negativity is just reinforcing each other’s views and convincing you further that it’s over. This thread is absolutely morbid.

I don't know. I think there should be a balance between the positive and the negative, and I accept negativity can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. At the same time, its hard to escape the feeling the darker state of mind is winning with every shitty news update that my phone's push notes seems oddly keen to continuously bring up atm.

Hell, I'm not even going and I still really want this to go ahead as I love watching the TV coverage. But I'm realistic - the world and all of its problems are letting us down in such a huge way.

Just now, Joshuwarr said:

Yeah, really. The festival might get cancelled - it's just a festival. If they're cancelling it, it's so that people don't fucking die.

Why are people even bickering about this? None of us know shit.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoBalls said:

I feel like we need two of these threads like we do with the weather threads - the serious one and the NFCNFC (No f*cking Coronavirus, no f*cking compromise) one...

Out of upvotes but I like this idea. 

A nice separation of optimists and doom-mongers will do us a world of good. 

1669A95C-B18E-471F-B37F-1B5C1B4CB80D.jpeg.13ab756db2542679883a100a602a6ead.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Yeah probably. Can't see Bon Iver chancing it. Caribou and Bicep at the start of April, surely won't make it.

I think Bon Iver’s in Europe in November so the UK dates seem nailed on for getting rearranged for then. I’ve got quite a few gigs coming up in April and early May but not expecting any of them to go ahead now sadly.