Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

I'm guessing the wave of event cancellations today has forced their hand, and that them saying "Big events can still go ahead" was just undermined straight away by dozens of things getting cancelled or re-arranged anyway.

What size are comparable bans in other countries? Might give us a rough estimate.

Most seem to be nothing over 500, although I did see a state in Germany announce 100.

This U-Turn will be partly driven by the large jump in numbers today too. This week’s daily growth:

16.93%

22.25%

29.39%

35.25%

So it's probably a combination of everything, plus Boris not really having a clue.

10 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I was thinking earlier: regardless of lineup, the next Glastonbury we experience could be one of the best . A really joyous magical weekend.

If it's this year, people will be so happy that it wasn't cancelled and grateful to be there. If it's cancelled and people have to wait til 2021, then I still think people will be so happy to finally be there, after waiting for two years.

I reckon it's going to be very emotional though. Tears everywhere

I'm starting to think that even if it was on this year, it would feel pretty sketchy. Especially if you hadn't already had corona by then. Could you imagine the come down from Glastonbury, combined with bastard pneumonia? Or worse contracting it a week earlier and coming down with the fucker instead of watching the headliners.

Shit man, I'm going to a corona party soon (which should totally be the name of Confidence Man's next single)

If a ban was to come into effect from mid March to June, then essentially the world as we know it will be over. That’s not even an exaggeration, it would be that bad for hundreds of millions of people.
Then a music festival (albeit the best party in the world) would be the least of anybody’s worries. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Most seem to be nothing over 500, although I did see a state in Germany announce 100.

This U-Turn will be partly driven by the large jump in numbers today too. This week’s daily growth:

16.93%

22.25%

29.39%

35.25%

So it's probably a combination of everything, plus Boris not really having a clue.

But there was no large jump in numbers today? If anything it was much less than expected?

1 minute ago, ModernMan said:

Is it more that Emily and Michael will feel forced to cancel and irresponsible to allow it to go ahead? 

I dunno. I’m feeling low right now guys I must say 😔

Honestly I think they won’t make the decision until they absolutely have to. The poster coming out yesterday was a clear indication that if there’s a way for the festival to go ahead this year it will. If anything I think they might move the balance payment window/resale back a few weeks and then make a decision based on the situation toward the end of April/beginning of May.

There’s probably only two options the festival has at this moment in time unfortunately

1. Cancel Glastonbury 2020

2. Change the payment date till end April to give another 4 weeks to monitor the situation.

Can’t see them taking 1,35000 people’s payment if there is the slightest of doubt it could be cancelled. 

Edited by ITK19889

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

But there was no large jump in numbers today? If anything it was much less than expected?

Good point. I'm guessing they probably wanted lower jumps all in all, and todays one wasn't in-line with that, which combined with all the other events has led them to this. Bearingmind though it says at the END of next week, so they are obviously happy to let things continue to for another 7 days.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm starting to think that even if it was on this year, it would feel pretty sketchy. Especially if you hadn't already had corona by then. Could you imagine the come down from Glastonbury, combined with bastard pneumonia? Or worse contracting it a week earlier and coming down with the fucker instead of watching the headliners.

There would absolutely be infected people there attending because they're as-yet asymptomatic, and people who won't let a sore throat stop them from going to Glastonbury. So yeah, any of us attending this year, if it does go ahead, are taking a risk.

I also have to factor in that I'll be returning home to spend a couple of days with my parents, who are both 70 next year. That has to be considered.

Even if it's on, we'll each have to decide if attending is the responsible thing to ourselves, our families and other attendees.

Just now, ITK19889 said:

2. Change the payment date till end April to give another day 4 weeks to monitor the situation.

This is a good suggestion. They're in a unique position to be able to do this over most, and would make sense. It would mean pushing the resale back though, of course, and no idea if that would have additional knock on effects (getting tickets printed in time is the only thing that comes to mind really)

8 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Not one of the news outlets has said anything about a cancellation of mass gatherings stretching as far as the end of June. 

But a ban doesn't need to go into June for Glasto to be cancelled. If there's no let up by April the plug could be pulled by then, or even earlier.

Hate to bring negative waves but just seen a Sun report on Facebook saying ALL mass gatherings to be banned from Monday - emergency legislation - Glastonbury mentioned, Wimbledon even. Source not mentioned. Fucking hell.

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The official numbers are becoming nonsense as it's now almost impossible to get tested, even if you have all the symptoms

10 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

But a ban doesn't need to go into June for Glasto to be cancelled. If there's no let up by April the plug could be pulled by then, or even earlier.

That’s true, but Matt was insinuating that the media was reporting a ban on mass events which would definitely mean the cancellation of Glastonbury, which at this stage is not what is being said at all.

I think we just all need to be a bit mindful of making sure that we don’t present opinions/concerns/speculation as solid facts right now, especially as there are people on the forums who are not from this country and don’t have the same access to our media as we do.

Edited by JoBalls
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Honestly I think they won’t make the decision until they absolutely have to. The poster coming out yesterday was a clear indication that if there’s a way for the festival to go ahead this year it will. If anything I think they might move the balance payment window/resale back a few weeks and then make a decision based on the situation toward the end of April/beginning of May.

10 minutes ago, ITK19889 said:

There’s probably only two options the festival has at this moment in time unfortunately

1. Cancel Glastonbury 2020

2. Change the payment date till end April to give another 4 weeks to monitor the situation.

Can’t see them taking 1,35000 people’s payment if there is the slightest of doubt it could be cancelled. 

As someone has said though that in April the building work tends to start?, can you spend money on that knowing that it's maybe less less 50% chance is comes off and there will be way more thought processes if they do that the enjoyable factor of it for the organisers may well not be there as much.

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

There would absolutely be infected people there attending because they're as-yet asymptomatic, and people who won't let a sore throat stop them from going to Glastonbury. So yeah, any of us attending this year, if it does go ahead, are taking a risk.

I also have to factor in that I'll be returning home to spend a couple of days with my parents, who are both 70 next year. That has to be considered.

Even if it's on, we'll each have to decide if attending is the responsible thing to ourselves, our families and other attendees.

Good point well made, there is a lot of factors at risk.

25 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

How many people constitutes a large gathering?

Normally 1000, which has been the case in France and Germany. However bear in mind Greece and Netherlands have banned events over 100 people and poland banned gatherings over 50 people.

I think it's inevitable, given the virus is expected to peak in 14 weeks time, that festivals won't be going ahead this summer

Edited by FestivalJamie