Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, Barney McGrew said:

Please, stop worrying about a weekend in June, yes it's the greatest weekend in the world but, please understand what's going on here.

Would you like us to talk about something else in the "Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?" thread?

• Upvote 4

Just now, Barney McGrew said:

Please, stop worrying about a weekend in June, yes it's the greatest weekend in the world but, please understand what's going on here.

I agree. It’s very upsetting that the festival won’t be going ahead. That is because everything is not going ahead. 

Don’t think that GLASTONBURY has been cancelled, think that the ENTIRE SUMMER has been cancelled (and some reason it feels less intense).

No one can take the mickey because probably everyone has an event which isn’t going ahead

I was thinking earlier: regardless of lineup, the next Glastonbury we experience could be one of the best . A really joyous magical weekend.

If it's this year, people will be so happy that it wasn't cancelled and grateful to be there. If it's cancelled and people have to wait til 2021, then I still think people will be so happy to finally be there, after waiting for two years.

I reckon it's going to be very emotional though. Tears everywhere

6 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I think this is a positive for Glastonbury. Potentially it might mean the peak is moved forward and the mass-gathering ban is lifted earlier.

This. Mass gatherings were always going to be cancelled at some point. The earlier they do it, the earlier they'll stop doing it. Deciding this now gives Glastonbury the best chance of happening. By 'best' I don't mean likely, but still.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Surely only a good thing for Glastonbury?

The sooner they ban big events the better 

I hope you’re right, I really really do. It feels as though several things may just binned off straight away though, and Glastonbury may well be one. 

It feels totally ridiculous in so many ways that we all care so much about Glastonbury in the face of all this, but I know it means so much to a lot of us. I will be truly gutted about it even though I know things may get quite bad in the world. 

4 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

We're all well aware of that, should we just panic and start planning for the end of the world or should we carry on trying to get on with life and talking about our favourite festival?

2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I was thinking earlier: regardless of lineup, the next Glastonbury we experience could be one of the best . A really joyous magical weekend.

I had a pretty shit time in 2017/18 and Glasto 2019 felt like the first one I'd ever been to, like losing your virginity again :) It was exactly what I needed.

5 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

I completely get this attitude, but there is also an extremely symbolic action in cancelling these huge events. That alone will hit people hard, regardless of what will happen elsewhere in the world outside of Worthy Farm.

1 minute ago, ModernMan said:

I hope you’re right, I really really do. It feels as though several things may just binned off straight away though, and Glastonbury may well be one. 

It feels totally ridiculous in so many ways that we all care so much about Glastonbury in the face of all this, but I know it means so much to a lot of us. I will be truly gutted about it even though I know things may get quite bad in the world. 

It's probably the most important part of many of our lives, socially anyway. Someone said earlier about the rest of summer being cancelled, or me that's not an issue as I don't really do much but Glastonbury is my summer. I went on my own to work it last year as I didn't have a ticket, that's how important it is for me. I'd be very gutted too if it was cancelled, which is why I have to believe it will still go ahead.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Have I missed something or are you making things up?

You’ve not missed a Glastonbury cancellation.

It looks like the government here are going to ban all large gatherings/events from next week but there’s been no indication as to whether that will go as far as Glastonbury.

The Associated Press is reporting that a second person who was at Mar-a-Lago with Trump last weekend has tested positive for coronavirus. The agency is citing a Republican party official who it says spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss private health matters.

The person attended a Trump fundraising at the president’s Florida resort on Sunday.
Trump also spent time last weekend with a Brazilian official who tested positive just days later.

From The Guardian - Geez, he really needs to be tested sharpish.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

The festival won’t be going ahead if anything our news outlets are reporting is true.

I've yet to read any news outlet suggesting this ban will continue until the end of June - can you link to a source?

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think they've probably buckled under the pressure from the public and cancellation of events by our organisations in the country. Bin regards to Glastonbury though, I don't think it changes the stances that much. I can't see the ban being from 20th March till 20th June, so I'd say still in the same boat.

I'm guessing the wave of event cancellations today has forced their hand, and that them saying "Big events can still go ahead" was just undermined straight away by dozens of things getting cancelled or re-arranged anyway.

What size are comparable bans in other countries? Might give us a rough estimate.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

The festival won’t be going ahead if anything our news outlets are reporting is true.

Not one of the news outlets has said anything about a cancellation of mass gatherings stretching as far as the end of June. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoBalls said:

Not one of the news outlets has said anything about a cancellation of mass gatherings stretching as far as the end of June. 

Is it more that Emily and Michael will feel forced to cancel and irresponsible to allow it to go ahead? 

I dunno. I’m feeling low right now guys I must say 😔