Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

But that’s actually not a bad way to approach it 

Exactly. Kids are resistant. Their immune systems are handling this much better than the older generations. 

The older generations and those of us with serious existing health conditions could be in for a rough time. I really don’t want to think about what could happen down the line.

Until we get to that point we have to keep positive. 

14 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Which to be fair, as much as I hate the guy, is what the medical professionals are telling him.

Same position.  Man's a collossal twat, but at least he's got the sense to follow advice from the experts rather than following an ideoligical position.  Now if they could just do the same with other policy like universal credit.

Not seen it brought up but Glasto should probably postpone balance payday/resale? Seems like more hassle than it's worth if they have to go through the faff/cost of processing payments, handling resale, only to have to refund? Safer to put it off until May until they know?

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m actually in this mindset that the festival being cancelled this year might make 2021 a real interesting and exciting year.

I know it’s w*nk but imagine partying in the fields after this has all blown over!

Could also be a stacked lineup. I imagine plenty of acts for this year will return for the next, on top of the acts who are planning to tour in 2021.

Still think there's a chance for this year's though. 

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

A8E5471D-31E6-4BB3-928C-CD76619A0EDD.jpeg

If true, wonder if that's because they have new data or they're giving in to public panic? This would be bringing forward their announced plan yesterday by a few weeks.

Just now, Splatt said:

Feels like we’re clutching at straws here now. 

We clutched at straws so hard in the weather thread last year when everything pointed to a total mudbath and look how that turned out...

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Has everyone given up? 

We’re in March, the festival is June. Yeah the virus isn’t going away but the world isn’t going to stop forever. 

We have a rough few weeks coming up. I don’t deny that however the virus is going to peak and things will start to get back to normal. 

Don’t let the fear beat you. 

Good attitude. There’s a lot of Panic setting in and while the next few weeks are going to be very rough (I’ve got several close family members in the high risk category) we’re going to need all our positivity and whatever humour we can muster. Getting hysterical is not going to help. Staying calm and considered and positive is.

Just now, ModernMan said:

What do we think this means? 

I think they've probably buckled under the pressure from the public and cancellation of events by our organisations in the country. Bin regards to Glastonbury though, I don't think it changes the stances that much. I can't see the ban being from 20th March till 20th June, so I'd say still in the same boat.

It's too late now. That should have happened over a week ago. This isn't something you can do a u turn on. Either you implement the measures at the correct time or else it is completely pointless. It's too late for these measures in the UK. 60% of the population need to get infected now so herd immunity can build up and the virus doesn't have enough suitable hosts to allow it to spread any more.

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This thread is quite honestly poison

I went to the pub earlier and nobody was talking about coronavirus, everyone was just getting on with their lives

I mean this  is the main page of the bbc website right now: 

5DF5A6EC-07B4-4454-94D4-2D0C194B175E.jpeg

Trust me, there’s another side to this that’s developing that people aren’t seeing. I’m off to the pub tomorrow, I’m fine with any risk, but this is honestly different to anything that’s come before. 

1 minute ago, ModernMan said:

What do we think this means? 

Honestly? Yesterday I was feeling pretty pessimistic after No. 10 said they were waiting to take measures like this til near the peak, as I figured it would mean the event cancellations would happen later, nearer to Glastonbury, so yeah even though the situation has gotten worse, I can't say I feel necessarily more pessimistic about it going on than I was yesterday, if anything it's marginally improved my hopes? (very marginally).