Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

It’s feeling bleak today after the high of yesterday I must say. But it’s darkest before the dawn and we can only wait and see, in the next 3-4 weeks we will know. 

If it is to be cancelled, I sincerely hope tickets will be honoured for the next festival. 

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m just not one to be easily beaten. 

As far as I’m concerned the festival is going ahead as planned and I’m going to be building up the hype till that Wednesday morning in June when I walk through those gates! 

Sure, and I've been reading recently about optimism bias because I'm not sure why certain people can't grasp the severity of what's happening, and actually it's that sort of attitude that leads to people not taking all the necessary precautions and inadvertently helping the virus spread (that isnt a personal attack on you, it's just a general fact)

But I make no apologies for making it clear that saying things like "Don’t let the fear beat you. " really really pisses me off. I think it's SO disrespectful towards people on the frontline putting everything they have into tackling this crisis (it is a crisis, no matter how anyone tries to spin it). Please be a bit more considerate.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Has everyone given up? 

We’re in March, the festival is June. Yeah the virus isn’t going away but the world isn’t going to stop forever. 

We have a rough few weeks coming up. I don’t deny that however the virus is going to peak and things will start to get back to normal. 

Don’t let the fear beat you. 

I'm with you mate. Throughout this whole thing I’ve been quoting you regularly and pretty much agreeing with everything you’ve said.

If by some miracle this amazing festival goes ahead then I’m looking forward to meeting up for a pint. 

8 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

It’s feeling bleak today after the high of yesterday I must say. But it’s darkest before the dawn and we can only wait and see, in the next 3-4 weeks we will know. 

If it is to be cancelled, I sincerely hope tickets will be honoured for the next festival. 

Hopefully you can Shake it out

Edited by waynewdk

31 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Has everyone given up? 

We’re in March, the festival is June. Yeah the virus isn’t going away but the world isn’t going to stop forever. 

We have a rough few weeks coming up. I don’t deny that however the virus is going to peak and things will start to get back to normal. 

Don’t let the fear beat you. 

I haven't given up mate. I've thought from the start it'll go ahead, for some of the reasons you've said. It's over 3 months away, measures are going in place now and will continue to do so. Outdoor gatherings pose low risk etc. I think there's a good chance it goes ahead, possibly with health precautions for high risk categories of people.

8 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

China is saying it is past the peak. And, what, 80,000 of them caught it? How many are they expecting to get it in the next 12 months or so? 

So why are we saying 60% of us are going to get it? 

Because China is a totalitarian communist country, and so it is a lot easier to suddenly shut the whole country down.

And also because Boris has decided to go for a completely different approach than what anyone else has, which means going for ‘hers immunity’ which a lot of reports are citing means needing 60% (40 million) of the population to contract the virus

21 hours ago, nusha said:

They've just officially cancelled the Melbourne Grand Prix - as punters were lined up to go in! 

They didn't want to I think there's been massive pressure on them and drivers/teams pulling out. 

I think any decision to cancel could be out of the hands of the festival if artists start to drop out and travel bans continue.  I've gone from being no way will it be cancelled to uh oh, there'a a decent chance it will.  I'm worried I might not even get to the UK in June, let alone get to Glastonbury.

It's just so hard to trust what you read at the moment as there's so much conflicting info....it's no worse than the flu...it's 3 times more deadly than the flu...don't panic buy....stock up on non perishables!!!   One of our news sites today said 'Tom Hanks brings coronavirus to Australia' ....as if he's totally to blame!  The article doesn't say that but the headline suggests it and that's enough for some to start quoting that as fact.  He's been here weeks so must've contracted it here (apart from a quick trip back to the Oscars 6 weeks ago).  The article names every venue he's eaten at , drunk at  or visited since early Feb, even when he wouldn't have been a carrier....poor businesses!

The Australian Grand Prix looks from afar like a complete mess. It looks as though the organisers and F1 wanted to leave it to the other to officially cancel. And even then, reports are suggesting 3 teams still wanted to go ahead and at least do the practice sessions.

F1 is going to have big problems - global sport at a time when global activity is being mangled like perhaps no other time. But I'm surprised they even tried to go to Melbourne in the first place as normal when other motorsports have restructured their calendar entirely, such as MotoGP cancelling every March/April race and Formula E doing the likewise.

Even on a logistics level, I know people who work both in F1 and the endurance racing, which pulled a Florida event at the last minute. As much as I appreciate events escalated very much at the last minute, that is a hell of a long way to go from the UK for fuck all.

Also, surely Tom Hanks is not the only case in Australia?

1 minute ago, Jack.194 said:

Because China is a totalitarian communist country, and so it is a lot easier to suddenly shut the whole country down.

And also because Boris has decided to go for a completely different approach than what anyone else has, which means going for ‘hers immunity’ which a lot of reports are citing means needing 60% (40 million) of the population to contract the virus

So presumably China will see repeated waves resembling Wuhan in other regions? 

4 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

The calm before the storm...

If this is calm, I'd hate to see what we're like when shit truly hits the fan.

Its bizarre - this time last week, I was told I was being unduly paranoid when I said I had concerns over it. Now we have a case where several countries are quarantining their governments, nearly all sports are cancelled, the economy is threatening to go full 2007-09 and nobody can find any toilet paper or hand sanitiser. I was expecting things to get bad, but this quickly? Fucking hell.

3 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

His attitude is like when as a child your mate got chicken pox so your mum made you go round there for a play date so you’d get it. 

4 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

His attitude is like when as a child your mate got chicken pox so your mum made you go round there for a play date so you’d get it. 

I was talking about this with a friend earlier, it's like the Chickenpox parties.