Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I just hope they know that no one is going to be angry at them.

I know that’s a silly thing to suggest but think they’d be losing sleep over upsetting the ticket holders makes me feel glum. I think people are more annoyed that there is a chance the ENTIRE summer is facing being written off, not just Glastonbury. I wish I could just say to Emily that if it can’t go ahead, it’s not her fault and no one rational will think it is.

Agreed, out of up votes. I would say though that its not a case of the whole summer being written off, more a case of the whole summer potentially being re-written. 

Edited by oneeye

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I know that’s a silly thing to suggest but think they’d be losing sleep over upsetting the ticket holders makes me feel glum. 

Not silly at all. Couldn't agree more.

In fact, it makes me wonder... If it does get cancelled is there some way we could send some kind of collective thank you to them anyway for the last 50 years (or in my case 16 years). If it were possible then this forum would be the obvious place to start it.

• Upvote 1

I personally think the festival won’t go ahead.

Would be a bit gutted if it’s rescheduled to September, I’m a trainee teacher finishing my final year in uni, so I’ll be starting by job start of September and won’t be able to book holiday!

What do people think the chances of a rescheduling is? And if this happens, what do people think the chances of it happening before September is?

I think it all looks pretty unlikely unfortunately :(

22 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

If you look at SARS which is a similar strain of infection it followed a similar timeline - started in China before Christmas, spread across the world and hit a peak in March, and was all over by June. Obviously the numbers are higher with Coronavirus, but it’s still not impossible that once the weather warms up it could all fizzle out. 

I admit it’s a long shot I’m just saying it’s not impossible... 

Again, how any one could compare this to SARS is just baffling to me. The numbers clearly already put Corona in a completely different league. It's an incredibly long shot to suggest it could be done in 10 weeks.

5 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

I personally think the festival won’t go ahead.

Would be a bit gutted if it’s rescheduled to September, I’m a trainee teacher finishing my final year in uni, so I’ll be starting by job start of September and won’t be able to book holiday!

What do people think the chances of a rescheduling is? And if this happens, what do people think the chances of it happening before September is?

I think it all looks pretty unlikely unfortunately :(

I want to believe that it will be rescheduled for the week that Pilton Party is on.

6 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Again, how any one could compare this to SARS is just baffling to me. The numbers clearly already put Corona in a completely different league. It's an incredibly long shot to suggest it could be done in 10 weeks.

Covid19 is actually a variant of SARS. They’re not actually using the official name so not to scare people. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I want to believe that it will be rescheduled for the week that Pilton Party is on.

I feel like the situations are two different for licences to match, as in the festivals are way too incomparable 

Damn, I really don't want to post (again) in this thread. It doesn't feel good at all.

Was talking to another friend of mine earlier who supplies infrastructure to the SE corner. He says that he thinks that there's a maybe 20% chance of it going ahead at the mo and the people he knows that are involved pretty much agree.

I mentioned to him the issue of the potential lack of key workers especially medics. He immediately said that the ambulance service and the staff of Yeovil, Taunton and Bath hospitals wouldn't be very impressed with the extra workload hitting their A&E depts.

I'd not thought of that.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

Long shot option, but this year’s festival postponed until June next year, next year’s festival in July? 

All sort of licensing issues, but means no losing out on a load of money and if ever there were a chance to actually get two fests in a year licensed, this would be it.

Got to admit I think I would probably change my vote to looking unlikely now. I've had notification of my first gig cancellation (Kelis) If artists aren't able or willing to to travel that alone could scupper plans. Devastated for the Eavii who will have put so much work into making the 50th special and if it takes place next year it won't be the 50th. 

I just hope if they do have to cancel people aren't knobs about it!!

6 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Damn, I really don't want to post (again) in this thread. It doesn't feel good at all.

Was talking to another friend of mine earlier who supplies infrastructure to the SE corner. He says that he thinks that there's a maybe 20% chance of it going ahead at the mo and the people he knows that are involved pretty much agree.

I mentioned to him the issue of the potential lack of key workers especially medics. He immediately said that the ambulance service and the staff of Yeovil, Taunton and Bath hospitals wouldn't be very impressed with the extra workload hitting their A&E depts.

I'd not thought of that.

Well I for one want to thank you for posting, it's good to get an insiders view, even if it isn't what we would really like to hear, if it is cancelled I hope it doesn't affect you and the other regular crew too badly,  hope it all works out O.K.

42 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I just hope they know that no one is going to be angry at them.

I know that’s a silly thing to suggest but think they’d be losing sleep over upsetting the ticket holders makes me feel glum. I think people are more annoyed that there is a chance the ENTIRE summer is facing being written off, not just Glastonbury. I wish I could just say to Emily that if it can’t go ahead, it’s not her fault and no one rational will think it is.

There’s the added stress of what to do with tickets. 

One would imagine full refund and then everybody back into the hat for next year, rather than rolling tickets over.

Either way you’ll upset somebody.

Nobody wants the festival to be cancelled but I think people are not really appreciating the enormity of the problems that we as a country are actually facing, this thing is really serious and, to be honest, absolutely terrifying.

I think a bit of perspective is required here.

Edited by Barney McGrew
  • Upvote 5