Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

It seems like the precedent from events is to give plenty of notice of postponement/cancellation, so I think we can expect the same from Glastonbury if it comes down to it. 

I am not surprised about the Marathon as that’s only 5 weeks away but I’m a bit surprised that big weekend have cancelled given there’s still 10 weeks until that... Seems a bit premature given that 10 weeks ago none of us had even heard the word “coronavirus” it’s not impossible that in a further 10 weeks it could be all over. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

It seems like the precedent from events is to give plenty of notice of postponement/cancellation, so I think we can expect the same from Glastonbury if it comes down to it. 

I am not surprised about the Marathon as that’s only 5 weeks away but I’m a bit surprised that big weekend have cancelled given there’s still 10 weeks until that... Seems a bit premature given that 10 weeks ago none of us had even heard the word “coronavirus” it’s not impossible that in a further 10 weeks it could be all over. 

I think the early festivals are cutting it fine, the later ones should be safe though

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Now it's here it'll be with us for ever and a problem until we achieve herd immunity (normally 80% of the population) because people have contracted it or a vaccine is available - probably 12 months away.

24 minutes ago, Apone said:

Calling it now, Bearded Theory, Download, Isle of Wight and Glastonbury will be cancelled or postponed

Bearded have already got a contingency plan B to postpone to September with everything being put in place just IF they need to! 

6 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

😁 the logic of that...

Dont understand why so many people are failing to grasp the very basics of a spread of this kind of thing.

If you look at SARS which is a similar strain of infection it followed a similar timeline - started in China before Christmas, spread across the world and hit a peak in March, and was all over by June. Obviously the numbers are higher with Coronavirus, but it’s still not impossible that once the weather warms up it could all fizzle out. 

I admit it’s a long shot I’m just saying it’s not impossible... 

5 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

Walked around site today, definitely starting to plan the build, workers were a arriving and things were being moved about! 

Did drive past a very stressed looking Mike and Emily though 😕 

Bless them. As much as I want this for me and everyone here, I really want it to go ahead for them. 

Trump will announce National Emergency today.  This will free up the states to operate individually and use resources as they see fit. 

Could possibly see travel restrictions in the states as well.  We are not far off from a 10 day shutdown of non-essential airport  travel. 

1 minute ago, Joshuwarr said:

Bless them. As much as I want this for me and everyone here, I really want it to go ahead for them. 

It must be soooooo stressful for them and disheartening when they’ve put so much work in all year to plan it, being such a special year too! 
I don’t think they’ll cancel unless they are told to though, whether that’s right or wrong is down to the individual I guess, personally I hope they don’t give in to pressure from people not even with tickets! 

DB53C9FA-8304-480A-BD64-D060CA6C25FF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If the festival announced a cancellation now while the major acts still have their tours on sale they would presumably still have to pay them, at least the deposit initially paid to book them. If they say they are going ahead and the artist pulls out at some point then maybe the festival get the deposit back?  So it's possible they are just playing along as long as possible to save money. They could of course be hoping things won't get as bad as it seems they will. Anyone with any ideas if that's how it would work with the band payments?

Edited by gizmoman
spelling

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

If the festival announced a cancellation now while the major acts still have their tours on sale they would presumably still have to pay them, at least the deposit initially paid to book them. If they say they are going ahead and the artist pulls out at some point then maybe the festival get the deposit back?  So it's possible they are just playing along as long as possible to save money. They could of course be hoping things won't get as bad as it seems they will. Anyone with any ideas if that's how it would work with the band payments?

So, essentially it's a game of chicken between the tour promoters and the festival :D

9 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

If you look at SARS which is a similar strain of infection it followed a similar timeline - started in China before Christmas, spread across the world and hit a peak in March, and was all over by June. Obviously the numbers are higher with Coronavirus, but it’s still not impossible that once the weather warms up it could all fizzle out. 

I admit it’s a long shot I’m just saying it’s not impossible... 

SARS (often) killed off its hosts so didn't get to spread around anywhere near as easily. It's not comparable.

Edited by eFestivals

14 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

Walked around site today, definitely starting to plan the build, workers were a arriving and things were being moved about! 

Trouble is they cant not make a start of things, though can see why they had worried looking faces

14 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

hopefully not as stressed as they were in 2008(?) when the tickets didn't sell out instantly

Since then i believe they've done a lot of contingency planning, so fingers crossed they have the means to ride out whatever the world chucks their way.

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

So, essentially it's a game of chicken between the tour promoters and the festival :D

Not really as the festival would be relatively small fry in the scheme of things but the promoters will want to wait as long as possible before having to pull a whole tour because of the huge losses involved. They may have to wait until they are told to cancel dependent on any insurance they have.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

hopefully not as stressed as they were in 2008(?) when the tickets didn't sell out instantly

Since then i believe they've done a lot of contingency planning, so fingers crossed they have the means to ride out whatever the world chucks their way.

I just hope they know that no one is going to be angry at them.

I know that’s a silly thing to suggest but think they’d be losing sleep over upsetting the ticket holders makes me feel glum. I think people are more annoyed that there is a chance the ENTIRE summer is facing being written off, not just Glastonbury. I wish I could just say to Emily that if it can’t go ahead, it’s not her fault and no one rational will think it is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5