Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

4 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Does anyone have a list of UK (or other but those are less relevant) festivals from now leading up to Glastonbury (and afterwards)?

I feel like monitoring statements made/the situations of these festivals would obviously be good to gauge what Glastonbury is likely to announce/decide. I know the majority will just be following government advice, but I still feel it’d be helpful!

Ok yea I now realise I’ve just posted this on efestivals and feel like a fool! I’m gonna make a big list now

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Big Weekend in Scotland has just pulled the plug.

That’s late May isn’t it? 

When you start to feel a tad more confident it’s taken away. We really need tickets to be carried over as a little thing for the big disappointment of it not going to happen

3 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Does anyone have a list of UK (or other but those are less relevant) festivals from now leading up to Glastonbury (and afterwards)?

if only there was a website that had a list of festivals. :P

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/festivals.php?year=now

Just so you know, the websites of all the festivals listed are constantly monitored for changes, so cancellations will get quickly picked up on.

A number have put out coronavirus statements, but all have them have been "we're going ahead unless we can't" apart from Ireby which cancelled and c2c which postponed.

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

This is what irks me when everyone points to what China did/is doing and asks why we're not doing the same. When you rule as a totalitarian government rather than as a democracy, of course you can shut the whole country down if you like.

Our government can shut this country down if it likes. In a democracy. Italy is a democracy. It's called emergency powers. Singapore is a democracy. South Korea is a democracy. etc etc

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

True but why not book for September instead. Their management must be fairly confident.

Or it isn't that big a deal to postpone again if it comes to it? Seriously ELbow's management do not have a crystal ball. What they have done is meaningless in the scheme of things.

16 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I think they have postponed for 12 months, but not 100 percent sure.

I'd just like to know for definite on the festival .  TBH a postponement until September must be easier to implement now rather than waiting and having to cancel completely

Yes postponed until 2021, definitely not happening this year though 

5 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

That’s late May isn’t it? 

When you start to feel a tad more confident it’s taken away. We really need tickets to be carried over as a little thing for the big disappointment of it not going to happen

I think BBC are more risk averse 

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Are the flights cancelled though? I am meant to go to Turkey end of April and the only thing stopping me is if bloody easyjet cancel the flights! I figure im a little safer round a pool in 80-90 degree heat than here in the cold and wet :D

BTW Easyjet waiving change fees right now if you need to postpone.

2 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Our government can shut this country down if it likes. In a democracy. Italy is a democracy. It's called emergency powers. Singapore is a democracy. South Korea is a democracy. etc etc

It's one thing giving yourself the legal powers, it's another thing for the population to accept them or the govt to have the means to enforce them.

Currently in this country we appear to have either mad panic or too-relaxed complacence, neither or which will work out very well if the govt did make some Chinese-type lock-down rules.

(It also gets forgotten that only a small part of china had a big problem, which meant a lot of resources could be supplied from the rest of the country).

2 minutes ago, Breeze said:

From first hand accounts, what Italy have done is nothing like China.

China had quarantine enforced by police and military, together with a compulsory phone app tracking where everybody was at all times.

Western governments couldn’t get away with that even if they wanted to. 

Just now, eFestivals said:

It's one thing giving yourself the legal powers, it's another thing for the population to accept them or the govt to have the means to enforce them.

I agree we have a lot of muppets who would not listen to anyone, unlike South Korea, Singapore etc. Italy though? Seems to be being adhered to and they are not that dissimilar to us in their lack of obedience 😉

I did wonder whether the massive explosion in Italy is anything to do with the fact that it's quite a tactile culture. Lots of cheek kissing, that kind of thing.

Might be a complete red herring, but would give hope to us emotionally repressed and socially awkward Brits :lol:

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Oh it can try and it could be somewhat adhered to. But that's not the same as China where they have full compliance, martial law etc. They've actually completely shut everything down, no democracy can do it to anywhere near the extent they have.

6 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I agree we have a lot of muppets who would not listen to anyone, unlike South Korea, Singapore etc. Italy though? Seems to be being adhered to and they are not that dissimilar to us in their lack of obedience 😉

they're being adhered to right now. What about next week, and next month, and the month after that? 

I agree with the UK govt that there's a limited amount of time you can enforce strict measures for because life need to go on to a large extent even during a crisis.

9 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I agree we have a lot of muppets who would not listen to anyone

can I just point out that you're suggesting people should listen to the govt if they do what you think is the right action, but you yourself are refusing to listen to them because they have different ideas to you..? :P