Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Cracking update. 

I know there are many reasons why it would be incredibly difficult to push Glastonbury back a month or two, but if there's a sense that things would be returning to normal in August I wonder if it's something they're looking at? I'd be surprised if they're not looking in to it, even if it ends up not happening.

Surely it would be hard to then rehire all the stages and infrastructure, booking the bands that will be on tour or who have finished and then all the companies they pay like security, construction etc who are probably booked elsewhere

1 minute ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

You missed the part when I said I cannot go next year. This is the important issue. 

Sorry I did miss that. I’d be 99% certain that given a scenario where it’s classed as a postponement then you’d still always have the option of a refund. And if it’s a cancellation then it would a straight refund anyway.

But given you’re 100% sure it isn’t going ahead why take the risk? Why is it even an issue worthy of posting about? Put your money where your mouth is and don’t pay the balance, simple.

One of the finest things about Glastonbury is the inclusive nature, every time I am amazed by the age ranges and the people who are obviously compromised health wise but are still making the best of their lot, I don't want to see people excluded.

All or nothing!

Maybe 500k mini garden Glasto's would be more appropriate this year.

Yes, I have got a ticket.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Cracking update. 

I know there are many reasons why it would be incredibly difficult to push Glastonbury back a month or two, but if there's a sense that things would be returning to normal in August I wonder if it's something they're looking at? I'd be surprised if they're not looking in to it, even if it ends up not happening.

In the press today there's comments a delay to August is being discussed.

It would be a huge challenge, but it would most likely safeguard the festival for 2020. If it were possible it should be done in my opinion, and we would need to accept a modified event, with several acts no doubt unable to play.

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

Cracking update. 

I'm sure they'd have made a consideration like that, but I also reckon they'll have rejected it.

Firstly there's the issue of trying to get substantially the same line-up - which will be exceedingly difficult, i think. Most acts will have other stuff booked in - and quite possibly other cancellations trying to rebook, too.

But also, all of the farming issues, for the Eavis land as well as other owners. They probably can't put everything on hold for something that might not even happen.

I'm pretty convinced that if it doesn't happen in June it's not happening at all this year.

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Sorry I did miss that. I’d be 99% certain that given a scenario where it’s classed as a postponement then you’d still always have the option of a refund. And if it’s a cancellation then it would a straight refund anyway.

But given you’re 100% sure it isn’t going ahead why take the risk? Why is it even an issue worthy of posting about? Put your money where your mouth is and don’t pay the balance, simple.

Couple of things with this post. 

Firstly, I am not 100% sure. You have made that up. Secondly, I have already said that I am 'not taking the risk' as I am not going to pay the balance. You where the one who challenged me on this and kept the conversation going!?!?

Secondly, it's a forum. I have offered my (albeit extreme) opinion. I am sorry you cannot accept people posting stuff that you disagree with. 

3 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

One of the finest things about Glastonbury is the inclusive nature, every time I am amazed by the age ranges and the people who are obviously compromised health wise but are still making the best of their lot, I don't want to see people excluded.

All or nothing!

Maybe 500k mini garden Glasto's would be more appropriate this year.

Yes, I have got a ticket.

I don’t really see it as them being excluded, it’s for their own benefit. The festival can either happen and for the people for whom it isn’t sensible to go health wise they make a call on it and potentially stay away, or it doesn’t happen at all and nobody goes. They miss out in either scenario.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I'm sure they'd have made a consideration like that, but I also reckon they'll have rejected it.

Firstly there's the issue of trying to get substantially the same line-up - which will be exceedingly difficult, i think. Most acts will have other stuff booked in.

But also, all of the farming issues, for the Eavis land as well as other owners. They probably can't put everything on hold for something that might not even happen.

I'm pretty convinced that if it doesn't happen in June it's not happening at all this year.

Tbf they may be able to keep the headliners on board at least (Kenny, Macca and Taylor all currently free in August by the looks). I think the lineup issue would be something they'd just do their best with, and I imagine ticket holders would be grateful to have an event at all this year. You'd lose a load of acts, but also be able to pick up new ones that are touring later in the summer I guess.

The farming issue seems to be the biggest hurdle to clear. 

Certainly unlikely but I think if they're really desperate to go ahead with something they could make it work in some form or fashion. They might just see it as too much of a ballache though.

I'm the last person in the world to put faith in the crowd in charge, but they are taking the path of letting the experts in the field lead the response.  I can't argue with that.  The plans put in place seem reasonable and at this time it is not possible to say that this country's solution is better than others or vice versa.  Be assured that all governments will be looking at the result of responses elsewhere and it is likely that they will adjust accordingly.

I know that this is a bitter pill to swallow, but swallow it we must.  Do your bit to slow the spread, don't be a dick.  Also, if you can afford it, please donate to food banks, there has never been a greater need.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Couple of things with this post. 

Firstly, I am not 100% sure. You have made that up. Secondly, I have already said that I am 'not taking the risk' as I am not going to pay the balance. You where the one who challenged me on this and kept the conversation going!?!?

Secondly, it's a forum. I have offered my (albeit extreme) opinion. I am sorry you cannot accept people posting stuff that you disagree with. 

Guys/Gals, let's be really really honest and real now. This is not happening! There is almost no conceivable, realistic scenario in which this goes ahead in June”

...That is petty much 100% to me, but sorry you are right, you did actually say this is a risk you are not prepared to take which backs up your above statement. I think the confusion has arisen because I didn’t spot where said you couldn’t go next year, so I couldn’t work out any risk of paying the balance 

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Guys/Gals, let's be really really honest and real now. This is not happening! There is almost no conceivable, realistic scenario in which this goes ahead in June”

...That is petty much 100% to me, but sorry you are right, you did actually say this is a risk you are not prepared to take which backs up your above statement. I think the confusion has arisen because I didn’t spot where said you couldn’t go next year, so I couldn’t work out any risk of paying the balance 

All is forgiven :)

I hope my pessimism abates, I do end up paying the balance and I see you at Brother's for s pint.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Firstly there's the issue of trying to get substantially the same line-up - which will be exceedingly difficult, i think. Most acts will have other stuff booked in - and quite possibly other cancellations trying to rebook, too.

Depends on what happens if they have to cancel. What their insurance covers, how much of their savings would be wiped out and so on.

If it's postpone or go bust (which is surely a possibility) then they'd look to do it, despite the difficulty. It it was wiping out the entire rainy day fund, built up over 5+ years they might also think it's worth it. Essentially: does moving it cost more than cancelling it.

If they have the right insurance, haven't spent too much yet, or have enough of a war chest to weather it then they'll absolutely cancel. 

1 minute ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

All is forgiven :)

I hope my pessimism abates, I do end up paying the balance and I see you at Brother's for s pint.

Deal ☺️ FWIW I’m slap bang in the middle. I can see a scenario where it still remains conceivable for it to happen, but obviously if it doesn’t go ahead then it will be no surprise  

I haven't read the thread recently, so don't know where we are at with it. However, one of my friends has indicated to me that I should expect to hear that this country will be put in to total 'lock down' within the next 7 days. Now, I don't know whether his sources are going to be right, but do know that they are 'high up', and that they are the people who are charged with creating plans for all types of disaster scenario within the country. I guess a short amount of time will tell.