Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

2 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

They're suspending football because they are running out of teams with players fit to play. This will be the problem with Glastonbury; the site takes about 10 weeks to build and in the height of the epidemic will there be enough people available to complete the build and then will there be enough people to crew it over the duration of the festival.

I’m pretty sure Glastonbury could rustle up enough volunteers to build the festival on the promise of a free ticket if existing volunteers were not available...

3 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

They're suspending football because they are running out of teams with players fit to play. This will be the problem with Glastonbury; the site takes about 10 weeks to build and in the height of the epidemic will there be enough people available to complete the build and then will there be enough people to crew it over the duration of the festival.

Running out?

One player has it. (Callum Hudson-Odoi)

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Yes, I will. Discussed with the wife lastnight. 

Hope answer makes you happy (clapper). 

Wonder how many others are thinking they won't go even if it is on? There might be a lot more tickets in the resale than normally. Many international folks may stay away.

2 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

I’m pretty sure Glastonbury could rustle up enough volunteers to build the festival on the promise of a free ticket if existing volunteers were not available...

I'm not really sure construction is a volunteer kind of job. These are contracted workers and companies that are professionals at what they do. My guess is things may just be delayed in terms of the build.

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Running out?

One player has it. (Callum Hudson-Odoi)

Arsenal, Chelsea and Leicester all quarantined in the EPL. Forest chairman and other suspected staff in the EFL have it. Real Madrid is locked down. 

All of the europe is taking the same action

9 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I do think the festival need to make an announcement in regards to what will happen if the festival is to not go ahead in June, whether there is a possibility to postpone until later in the year or it just be cancelled altogether, whether people who have secured tickets for this year have priority for tickets for next year, we’re still in the dark a little bit it seems. 

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/news/2020-03-13-boomtown-covid-19-status-update/

Boomtown have (sort of) done it.

1 minute ago, JoBalls said:

I'm sure could find more than enough people to stand around pretending to look useful (I'm very good at that) but people with the necessary skills in building stages, sound systems etc. - I'm not so sure.  Plus there's the logistics problem - if half the lorry drivers in the country are ill how does the supply chain work?

7 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

That’s not true is it, quite understandably if someone has it or is suspected of having it it effects the whole team and as a result the league.

We have just under 600 cases of it currently, nobody is running out of anything yet.

Just now, Joshuwarr said:

I'm not really sure construction is a volunteer kind of job. These are contracted workers and companies that are professionals at what they do. My guess is things may just be delayed in terms of the build.

They can probably get extra hours out of healthy staff, because everyone is at risk of losing work (and so money) if/when the're sick.

I don't doubt it'd be difficult but I don't see the build as impossible to get done.

2 minutes ago, Greased-Up Deaf Guy said:

Be interested to see the results of a re-run of this Poll now we're further in / know more

52% at least think it will happen. That’s always a strong majority.  /s

Edited by squirrelarmy
  • Like 1

That doesn't mean they have it though does it?

They don’t need to have it, they need to ensure that nobody else in the team gets it so they can’t mingle with each other. As a scouser I’m fucking flapping over this situation right now.

Need something like that, but with more detail due to tickets being like rocking horse shit.

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

You’re actually the first one to actually give me an answer!

Hopefully see you at the farm next year!

Glastonbury is my favourite place on earth, and I have only actaully been once (in 2016 of all years no less).

I genuinley just cannot see any way this can go ahead. It's a horrible conculsion to come to, horrendous, however IMO it's reality. 

To then buy two tickets in April when I see no way they can be used, is a big risk which (at the moment) I am unwilling to take. Moreover, even I may not even feel like going if I do buy them and it is miraculously on. This is going to get bad, very very bad. Make no mistake about that. 

I wish everyone else on here well and I dreadfully pray I see you on the farm too. 

Good luck!

Edited by Billy Corgan's Ego

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Glastonbury is my favourite place on earth, and I have only actaully been once (in 2016 of all years no less).

I genuinley just cannot see any way this can go ahead. It's a horrible conculsion to come to, horrendous, however IMO it's reality. 

To then full buy two tickets in April when I see no way they can be used, is a big risk which (at the moment) I am unwilling to take. Moreover, even I may not even feel like going if I do buy them and it is miraculously on. This is going to get bad, very very bad. Make no mistake about that. 

I wish everyone else on here well and I dreadfully pray I see you on the farm too. 

Good luck!

What’s the risk? If Glastonbury is your favourite place on earth then surely it’s a bigger risk not to buy a ticket in April? They aren’t going to rob your money, and worst case scenario for me is that I pay in April and they want to refund me and make me try as normal in October

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

What’s the risk? If Glastonbury is your favourite place on earth then surely it’s a bigger risk not to buy a ticket in April? They aren’t going to rob your money, and worst case scenario for me is that I pay in April and they want to refund me and make me try as normal in October

Will they 100% refund though? If this is true, there is no risk. However if it's honour the ticket, then I can't afford to risk £500 when I am 95-99% certain it gets moved ro next year. 

Edited by Billy Corgan's Ego

2 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Will they 100% refund though? If this is true, there is no risk. However if it's honour the ticket, then I can't afford to risk £500 when I am 95-99% certain it gets moved ro next year. 

How on Earth are you so certain? We simply don't know at this point

Just now, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

I personally hope they wouldn’t refund, wouldn’t you want a guaranteed ticket for next year? You were going to spend the money anyway, this way you just guarantee yourself zero angst in October. For me that would be the perfect way to soften the blow of this year being cancelled.

I personally think this won’t happen and it will just be a straight refund, but I don’t see the problem in either scenario?

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Cracking update. 

I know there are many reasons why it would be incredibly difficult to push Glastonbury back a month or two, but if there's a sense that things would be returning to normal in August I wonder if it's something they're looking at? I'd be surprised if they're not looking in to it, even if it ends up not happening.

Just now, thrillhouse188 said:

How on Earth are you so certain? We simply don't know at this point

I'll rephrase. My belief is that it will not go ahead and I am fairly certain of - based on everything I have read and people I have spoken too. My belief is that many people are not getting the severity of this (yet) and not actually listening to the medical experts/scientists. 

I hope I am wrong, more than anything. 

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I personally hope they wouldn’t refund, wouldn’t you want a guaranteed ticket for next year? You were going to spend the money anyway, this way you just guarantee yourself zero angst in October. For me that would be the perfect way to soften the blow of this year being cancelled.

I personally think this won’t happen and it will just be a straight refund, but I don’t see the problem in either scenario?

You missed the part when I said I cannot go next year. This is the important issue. 

2 hours ago, HattersBoy said:

This is doing the rounds, seems sensible but then again I'm no doctor. Regarding the paragraph in red I do recommend swapping water for your favourite alcoholic beverage, it is known that the virus is killed by alcohol.

From a member of the Stanford hospital board.

This is their feedback for now on Corona virus:

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected?

By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late.

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning.

Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds.

If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection.

In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases:

Everyone should ensure:

your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS 1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold 2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on. 9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice. 10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

The above is complete and utter bollocks - do drink water as you should often but your stomach acid is not going to do anything. This post has been doing the rounds but its untrue and not properly sourced.

Phillip defranco, a verfied news source on youtube, goes more into this in this video:

• Upvote 1