Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

17 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Guardian feed saying China's first case was actually back on November 17th, quite a bit earlier than thought 

Problem is it takes time to detect an outbreak and even more time to definitively diagnose it as something new. After all regular flu deaths are pretty common in a city of 10 million.

Edited by I am Jon

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:I basically agree with you @Deaf Nobby Burton, and the only thing we can do is follow guidelines, but this:

is no kind of argument. If this event becomes even half as bad as the worst case scenarios, it will shake the very foundations of society as we have been fortunate enough to experience it in modern times, and if things just drift back to normal, it'll be the most depressing aspect of the whole sorry chapter.

I've often wondered what it would take to shake us out of our anaesthetised entitlement, and I've long thought it would take something quite tragic; something that feels almost apocalyptic, to wake us up to the duty of care we have towards one another and the causal impact we each have. A global pandemic is one such scenario. I sincerely hope that we come out of this a better people, or it will simply happen again.

You may well be right, I hope you don’t think this is based on me worrying about Glastonbury going ahead. Saying things have to go back to normal at some stage is off the back of me not currently having a job. I had a verbal offer of a new one but suddenly because of everything that’s going on they are stalling on this. I put my house up for sale that I still own with my now ex wife a few weeks ago. This was amidst what was meant to be the start of a mini property boom with Brexit temporarily behind us. Unfortunately though things seem to have fallen off a cliff with the virus and I’ve not had a single viewing. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not on the breadline and I can manage fine for a few months, but that doesn’t mean I’m not worried about things. There is a scenario where I don’t get another job because of the impact of the virus, house prices crash, I can’t sell my house or pay for it every month either.... If things get apocalyptic then we may well be in the same boat anyway, but that doesn’t stop me wishing and hoping we can try and get back to some sort of normality at some point just because of my current personal situation

6 hours ago, Madyaker said:

The situation is accelerating as expected tbh. Your perception of it was changed when your PM made that announcement yesterday but the nhs still think 90% of cases will hit them before the end of April. The next few weeks will be ugly. You only need to look at Italy to see that. But at the moment we should be ok for glasto. We’ll still be dealing with this then but we’ll be over the crest of the hill. 

Government expert opinion and their delay tactics is predicting a peak in late May, 4 weeks before Glasto. Government also strongly hinted that as we go toward that peak, stronger and stronger measures will be taken and gatherings limited. If expert opinion is correct this will all happen to close too the fest. How can any event occur if 4 weeks before its due date the country is in a defacto lockdown. Events need certainty.

Just now, Lycra said:

Government expert opinion and their delay tactics is predicting a peak in late May, 4 weeks before Glasto. Government also strongly hinted that as we go toward that peak, stronger and stronger measures will be taken and gatherings limited. If expert opinion is correct this will all happen to close too the fest. How can any event occur if 4 weeks before its due date the country is in a defacto lockdown. Events need certainty.

They have certainty until the government pull the plug. Not much they can do but hope the governments modelling is accurate enough to give them some certainty either way at some point between now and when the gates open 

24 minutes ago, kalifire said:

@Deaf Nobby Burton,

A global pandemic is one such scenario. I sincerely hope that we come out of this a better people, or it will simply happen again.

This is isn’t really the fault of the everyday man though. Yes most people on the street don’t give a rats arse about this virus and that is a stupid thing, but it’s the fault of political figures gambling with our lives which has lead to this

*cant delete the quote nobly 

Edited by Matt42

29 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I basically agree with you @Deaf Nobby Burton, and the only thing we can do is follow guidelines, but this:

is no kind of argument. If this event becomes even half as bad as the worst case scenarios, it will shake the very foundations of society as we have been fortunate enough to experience it in modern times, and if things just drift back to normal, it'll be the most depressing aspect of the whole sorry chapter.

I've often wondered what it would take to shake us out of our anaesthetised entitlement, and I've long thought it would take something quite tragic; something that feels almost apocalyptic, to wake us up to the duty of care we have towards one another and the causal impact we each have. A global pandemic is one such scenario. I sincerely hope that we come out of this a better people, or it will simply happen again.

my prediction is that this won't happen.

11 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You may well be right, I hope you don’t think this is based on me worrying about Glastonbury going ahead. Saying things have to go back to normal at some stage is off the back of me not currently having a job. I had a verbal offer of a new one but suddenly because of everything that’s going on they are stalling on this. I put my house up for sale that I still own with my now ex wife a few weeks ago. This was amidst what was meant to be the start of a mini property boom with Brexit temporarily behind us. Unfortunately though things seem to have fallen off a cliff with the virus and I’ve not had a single viewing. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not on the breadline and I can manage fine for a few months, but that doesn’t mean I’m not worried about things. There is a scenario where I don’t get another job because of the impact of the virus, house prices crash, I can’t sell my house or pay for it every month either.... If things get apocalyptic then we may well be in the same boat anyway, but that doesn’t stop me wishing and hoping we can try and get back to some sort of normality at some point just because of my current personal situation

Sorry to hear this mate, I hope you are gonna be ok. If you need to talk or someone to rant too about things please DM me! You are right things will definitely get better eventually!!

13 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Mate, that's a tough situation. Sorry to hear that. I understand where you're coming from, and I hope things stabilise for you (but in a slightly brighter society, if possible!). Hang strong.

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

They have certainty until the government pull the plug. Not much they can do but hope the governments modelling is accurate enough to give them some certainty either way at some point between now and when the gates open 

Any modelling is only as good as the data inputted and  a single error or mis-assumption can quickly alter predictions. It's like weather forecasting. Every year the weather is a major thread but it's only in the last few days before the fest week get certainty.

18 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This really sucks, I’m sorry...bloody Coronavirus - ruining lives since 2019!

Fingers crossed that this is enough of a worry for people that EVERYONE takes some responsibility to try and slow down the spread of this, we’re all in it together that’s for sure

6 minutes ago, uglyscotsman said:

So we (the British population) are basically acting as a guinea pig for this peculiar social experiment that other countries around us aren't following. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

Elections have consequences. 10's of 1000's of the fearful, the gullible and the hate-filled gonna find this out in the next month or so.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Surely that's not certainty though. It's like saying flipping a coin, you have certainty it'll be heads until the moment comes that it turns out to be tails.

11 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Any modelling is only as good as the data inputted and  a single error or mis-assumption can quickly alter predictions. It's like weather forecasting. Every year the weather is a major thread but it's only in the last few days before the fest week get certainty.

In sorry but it’s absolutely nothing like the weather, not even remotely. You can model things like viruses based on all previous historical data and all the new data you’re getting every day. We know viruses grow exponentially (we'll have over 200 new cases today) and that at some point we’ll hit an inflection point when it will then die down.

The weather never has been and never will be accurate much more than a week out.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Elections have consequences. 10's of 1000's of the fearful, the gullible and the hate-filled gonna find this out in the next month or so.

But Labour have also said they are following the science, so presumably would have come to the same conclusion. Appreciate there is a point to be made about austerity and the NHS but that wouldn't have been fixed by Corbyn since November, and probably not even since 2017. 

13 minutes ago, uglyscotsman said:

So we (the British population) are basically acting as a guinea pig for this peculiar social experiment that other countries around us aren't following. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

that's one way of looking at it, but what exactly do you expect them to do? How can they stop everyone getting it?

It's not going to go away. The only way to deal with it is to build up immunity in the population.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's one way of looking at it, but what exactly do you expect them to do? How can they stop everyone getting it?

It's not going to go away. The only way to deal with it is to build up immunity in the population.

By that logic we should initiate martial law on french kissing. Public snogging or jail.

Cmon Neil. You slow the spread as much as you can.

17 minutes ago, zahidf said:

This is the cold hard reality that nobody really wants to accept.

Unless you think you can conceivably lock everybody into quarantine, completely eradicate the virus and then completely stop it entering back in then it isn’t going away.

If you can’t do the above (which as it’s now a global pandemic you definitely can’t) then locking everybody down will just be a temporary respite and the virus will start to spread again once things go back to normal.

So it has to pass through the country. The only thing that can really be controlled is the speed, the speed will be controlled based on a balance between keeping the economy ticking over and the strain on the health service - in our case it won’t be absolutes of either.

• Upvote 5