Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

48 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Do we think the poster dropping has any effect on making us more certain or not if the festival will go ahead?

They were obviously waiting for the government pronouncement earlier this evening. It's just a case of watch this space. General feeling seems to be it's just a matter of time before restrictions of some sort are imposed.

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

I now have severe neck ache and dizziness trying to read that poster..........

1 hour ago, yehbutnobut said:

That was the most awkward poster to read ever. 

giphy.gif

Yeah its one of those "nice idea questionable in reality" designs.

This assuming the situation improves enough by June for it to go ahead. Or at least go ahead without a load of US acts pulling out.

1 hour ago, TownesMR said:

Do we think the poster dropping has any effect on making us more certain or not if the festival will go ahead?

Today's news made me certain, I think they released the poster before the acts on there started to cancel their tours. If the peak of the virus is 10-14 weeks away and the government believe the health service is going to be so stretched that retired doctors and nurses will have to return to work, where will the festival get the medical staff to run the on site medical centre? With 200k people on site it's a necessity and part of the licence conditions.

Do you honestly think that 75 year old Diana Ross is going to come to a virus filled country to play ? (assuming she doesn't get the virus in the US). She can either cancel her tour and lose money or play and risk her life. She's worth $250 million BTW.

Those are 2 factors of many, unless there's a miracle it's not happening.

I'm sorry to say this but personally i think its almost odds on that the festival will be cancelled this year. GFL can't afford to leave it until the last minute (or month) to decide to cancel as every day that goes by leaves them exposed to more costs and its not certain that their insurance would kick in if they do cancel late. I remember that the issue of potentially not selling out for 2008 was going to almost bankrupt them so they will want to be as risk averse as they can (think they now have a reserve of 5 mil because of that). Its pretty certain that a ban on major gatherings will come soon and this i feel will be the final nail for this years festival.

This would be terrible news for a lot of people and i hope i'm wrong :( 

PS sorry haven't read the whole post history so may be repeating

PPS - what a terrible poster design - sorry to the lovers but nasty i think ;)

Edited by The other Bellboy

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

I think they released the poster before the acts on there started to cancel their tours.

yeah, I think that might be in the mix too. It wouldn't do them any favours to have released later with (perhaps) some big names missing. Even if some acts don't play, they festival might as well get some benefit via an announcement out of the work they've put in to book them.

Just now, eFestivals said:

yeah, I think that might be in the mix too. It wouldn't do them any favours to have released later with (perhaps) some big names missing. Even if some acts don't play, they festival might as well get some benefit via an announcement out of the work they've put in to book them.

I think the tone of Emily's text said it all really, I think they know it's not going to happen.

2 minutes ago, David Gray (90+2) said:

To really get put the cat among the pigeons, what happens with next year's festivals ticket-wise if this year's is cancelled? Everyone who got one this year gets to keep them or? 😏

This has been brought up a lot... I'd think tickets will be transferred and if you can't attend 2021, they go on sale. Nearly every cancelled festival so far has transferred tickets to the next event. 

2 minutes ago, David Gray (90+2) said:

To really get put the cat among the pigeons, what happens with next year's festivals ticket-wise if this year's is cancelled? Everyone who got one this year gets to keep them or? 😏

As someone who has tickets, I bloody hope we get to carry them over to next year (it would slightly soften the blow of this year being cancelled) but I suspect that won’t be the case...

• Upvote 1

Just got some info - So the US will see a lockdown that will be compared to Italy. Only essentials.  There is already restricted travel that is being implemented to Washington and California.The rest of the nation will be decided on as a case-by-case basis but travel is discouraged regardless. Air travel is likely going to be restricted/suspended for a period of 10 days. 

Edited by Friendly Banter

6 minutes ago, David Gray (90+2) said:

Probably easier for Glasto to just refund all the deposits back and start afresh again in 2021, can't see them carrying over.

I think a lot of people view this as a very black and white situation, they have to plough on because of insurance etc. I fail to see how they haven’t had some sort of consultation with the government. Now clearly the government haven’t necessarily been able to give them an answer either way, but I’d be fairly confident if there was a very strong likelihood it was going to be cancelled they would’ve told Glastonbury that. If that was the case then irrespective of insurance, they could’ve still put a statement out saying things are up in the air so we’re holding off for a bit. This is the earliest the poster has ever come out, they could’ve easily waited until mid April and that wouldn’t have been unusual, releasing it now so early just doesn’t seem to make sense if they’ve been made aware it’s likely to be cancelled. It could of course be because of what people have said about getting in before bands cancel anyway, but that just doesn’t seem right to me. I think there has been some consultation and the government haven’t been able to give them absolute assurances but they’ve told them that if the modelling goes a certain way then it might be ok.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

5 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

As someone who has tickets, I bloody hope we get to carry them over to next year (it would slightly soften the blow of this year being cancelled) but I suspect that won’t be the case...

As someone who doesn't have tickets this is my fear! Although I do think it would be fair! The only positive for me in that is I suspect there would be a lot in the resale as circumstances can change a lot in a year. 

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think a lot of people view this as a very black and white situation, they have to plough on because of insurance etc. I fail to see how they haven’t had some sort of consultation with the government. Now clearly the government haven’t necessarily been able to give them an answer either way, but I’d be fairly confident if there was a very strong likelihood it was going to be cancelled they would’ve told Glastonbury that. If that was the case then irrespective of insurance, they could’ve still put a statement out saying things are up in the air so we’re holding off for a bit. This is the earliest the poster has ever come out, they could’ve easily waited until mid April and that wouldn’t have been unusual, releasing it now so early just doesn’t seem to make sense if they’ve been made aware it’s likely to be cancelled. It could of course be because of what people have said about getting in before bands cancel anyway, but that just doesn’t seem right to me. I think there has been some consultation and the government haven’t been able to give them absolute assurances but they’ve told them that if the modelling goes a certain way then it might be ok.

I think it's unlikely there's been any consultation. Fort a start, it would be with the whole events industry and not just Glastonbury if the govt was doing that. And as you mention, there's no certain word the govt could give them anyway, so it would be a bit pointless.

It's probably the case that to be able to claim on their insurance that cancellation needs to be forced upon them - so they might as well keep working towards the festival as tho it's going to happen. 

9 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Probably easier for Glasto to just refund all the deposits back and start afresh again in 2021, can't see them carrying over.

Don’t understand this stance. I think it’s probably nailed on ticket holders for this year will get a chance to keep their ticket for the rescheduled 50th anniversary with a likely very similar line up. 

Edited by ModernMan

Just now, ModernMan said:

Don’t understand this stance. I think it’s probably nailed on ticket holders for this year to get a chance to keep their ticket for the rescheduled 50th anniversary with a likely very similar line up. 

Nothing is nailed on. Stop talking in absolutes