Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I linked it earlier, but it's based on behavioural scientists and govt advice over the last 20 years of so. It's not necessarily a boris thing.

The fact they’re sticking to it in the face of everybody else doing the exact opposite is interesting.

As your post said - either a masterstroke or a terrible, terrible mistake.

The Chief Scientist/ Medical officer are very convincing in their reasoning.

1 minute ago, Justcalledtosay said:

That ‘peak‘ estimate is gutting. 

Yeah a real sucker punch. I’m not sure if I understood it correctly, but they may be looking to apply the social distancing measures well before the peak is predicted to occur to flatten it. 

2 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

The fact they’re sticking to it in the face of everybody else doing the exact opposite is interesting.

As your post said - either a masterstroke or a terrible, terrible mistake.

The Chief Scientist/ Medical officer are very convincing in their reasoning.

They really are, I have faith in them (Absolutely none in the PM). The comments about mass gatherings I feel add further weight that events outside wouldn’t necessarily be cancelled.

They seem more concerned on limiting the elderly from going outside, referencing loneliness as a major factor. 

Edited by Ozanne

They're trying to flatten so the peak isn't as much, but if everyone has it, why would the festival not go on? DOn't go to the festival if you have it, put the same measures in place as youw ould do at home. 

Again, if our country was to just shut down for a whole month, we'd be in a lot of trouble 

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

DOn't go to the festival if you have it, put the same measures in place as youw ould do at home. 

That's a lot of trust to put in strangers. Who's going to drop out if they've paid the full ticket balance with no hope of a refund?

It really is looking game over, cannot imagine how it can be staffed with all this going on. Not sure I’d feel it morally right either, it’s gonna be an all hands to the pump event for the country to get through it. A party in a field at the same time just feels wrong. 

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

They're trying to flatten so the peak isn't as much, but if everyone has it, why would the festival not go on? DOn't go to the festival if you have it, put the same measures in place as youw ould do at home. 

Again, if our country was to just shut down for a whole month, we'd be in a lot of trouble 

This is exactly it, the peak will be flattened so as to limit the danger to at risk people. The spread wouldn’t be severe at large gatherings and said at risk people wouldn’t be at these events inadvertently amounts so the risk to them is minimal from Glastonbury.  

3 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

When do people (not you lot) think Italy’s peak will be?

With poor controls the rate of spread is doubling every 4 days. Any successful effort will be visible by that doubling time extending.  It is impossible to predict, but peak is still at least a couple of weeks or month away in any nation.

Edited by Spindles

6 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Is everyone still worrying about the peak even though they said cancelling large events has little effect? 

It has little effect at the moment. I imagine they’ll come into effect nearer the peak, then even a 1% change will have a big impact in terms of numbers (as the overall numbers of people infected then will be so high)