Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

4 minutes ago, whitewinston said:

To me that suggests that things may be cancelled in the short term (March/April) to delay the inevitable spread, but by June A LOT of people will have had it and the risk of overburdening the NHS is much less likely - I feel like this is good news for Glasto

Seriously?

This is absolute madness now. I've seen they are looking at stopping schools or they have done at least in Ireland. Where is the sense? Because you really think those kids are going to stay at home for 14 days? Yeah right. And why schools. What logic is behind closing schools? How are parents who are expected to go to work meant to cope? I'm glad I haven't got that concern.

Sorry to anyone that disagrees but the way the media has handled this is pretty atrocious. If anything they've caused the panic buying loons to loot my local Tesco and Asda.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Boris Johnson and the majority of Conservative Party can jog on.

But I think the Government is doing the right thing here.

I linked it earlier, but it's based on behavioural scientists and govt advice over the last 20 years of so. It's not necessarily a boris thing.

This is a fascinating news conference, the Chief Medical and Science Officers are giving decent explanations for their actions. It does give me a bit of confidence, especially the comments regarding mass gatherings.

They have said we are 4 weeks behind Italy however the response is different so they hope this means we follow their trajectory. I really hope they are right. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, whitewinston said:

I mean BJ said  they are only "considering the question of banning major events, including sporting fixtures" - not because of the spread of the virus, but because of the burden it puts on public services (taken from BBC news). To me that suggests that things may be cancelled in the short term (March/April) to delay the inevitable spread, but by June A LOT of people will have had it and the risk of overburdening the NHS is much less likely - I feel like this is good news for Glasto

I understand people wanting to remain positive about Glasto but how on earth can you take positivity about it from that? It’s literally the opposite 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D-Low said:

This is absolute madness now. I've seen they are looking at stopping schools or they have done at least in Ireland. Where is the sense? Because you really think those kids are going to stay at home for 14 days? Yeah right. And why schools. What logic is behind closing schools? How are parents who are expected to go to work meant to cope? I'm glad I haven't got that concern.

Sorry to anyone that disagrees but the way the media has handled this is pretty atrocious. If anything they've caused the panic buying loons to loot my local Tesco and Asda.

Yup all the media had a meeting and decided it's good to get all the events they cover to be cancelled.

1 minute ago, topmarksbri said:

Peak 10 - 14 weeks away - that sounds like nail in coffin to me...

Yep, unfortunately v much looking that way. Don’t think various authorities, police, healthcare will have sufficient resources to absorb the peak and be able to staff a festival. 

Edited by Splatt

3 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Nope they've just said in the conference, this wont be disappearing in 2 weeks, so they'll still get it. To expect kids to stay inside is ridiculous and pulling htem out of education is not healthy, you then also put elderly care givers (grandparents) at risk. 

34 minutes ago, northernringo said:

The UK Govt is considering banning major public events but not yet.

Not good news for Glastonbury I'd imagine.

pushing the peak towards the summer and protect the vulnerable at that point, doesnt sound positve for glastonbury :(