Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

With regards the line-up drop, is it possible that they had planned to drop it today but decided to hold off after the Cobra meeting was announced? Not because Glasto is being cancelled (no sign of that yet), but just totally, news-wise, maybe not the best day etc.

Or they announce as expected today because the Cobra meeting does not yet decide any need to take measures that might cause Glasto to be cancelled? 

4 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Sizeable % increases day by day, if it carries on the same path....

It will do and was always going to, that’s how viruses spread.

The more people infected the more new cases there will be every day, this will grow exponentially as it has in every other country 

I’d expect tomorrow’s new cases to be around 200, then the day after probably above 300

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Not sure any day is good at the moment ... Neil hearing today means no change I would think they would have already known about the days events 

I guess it does depend on what measures are announced. If unprecedented ones like schools closing for a while etc happen people will be too caught up with sorting childcare etc and it may get lost in the noise. Obviously present company excluded 😂

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

I guess it does depend on what measures are announced. If unprecedented ones like schools closing for a while etc happen people will be too caught up with sorting childcare etc and it may get lost in the noise. Obviously present company excluded 😂

yep fair ... like life at the moment nobody knows unfortunately ....but im still optimistic 

2 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

I had to look at this several times before I realised. Not the best phrasing from the BBC!

Meanwhile over in the BBC News App office, "Dave, over here, I'm just about to post this as Breaking News". Dave: "Hahahahahaha"

1 hour ago, Quark said:

No one does.

In much the same way that the virus is the greatest risk to those with underlying health problems, so the panicking and shitty behaviour is most affecting those with underlying being a c**t problems.

Depending on which way my company decides to go regarding guest cancellations I'm expecting to get shouted at a lot in the next few days/weeks

The Guardian..

The majority of coronavirus infections may be spread by people who have recently caught the virus and have not yet begun to show symptoms, scientists have found.

An analysis of infections in Singapore and Tianjin in China revealed that two-thirds and three-quarters of people respectively appear to have caught it from others who were incubating the virus but still symptom-free.

The finding has dismayed infectious disease researchers as it means that isolating people once they start to feel ill will be far less effective at slowing the pandemic than had been hoped.

This the nail in the coffin for mass events?

5 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The finding has dismayed infectious disease researchers as it means that isolating people once they start to feel ill will be far less effective at slowing the pandemic than had been hoped.

Surely you don't need to be an infectious disease expert to realise that people are more likely to spread it before they know they've got it and that once they know they've got it they're less likely to go around spreading it.

That's just bloody common sense, surely? I can't be the only person who's been saying from the start that anything with an incubation period of more than a couple of days can't be contained?

11 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

This author writes very dramatic things with a lot of confidence for someone whose two surrounding articles he's written are "How to Deliver Your Funny Speech" and "What The Rise of Skywalker Can Teach about Storytelling."

He's a writer trying to go viral and an expert in nothing. I, also not an expert, found some things he wrote undeniably accurate, but other things he wrote I caught was him jumping to what feels like a logical conclusion, but actually he's guessing and there are experts directly disagreeing with some of his conclusions.

We live in a very trying time in a crises like this, where many people don't trust governments and experts but do trust random people like this guy and others with large social media followings. 

I just hope most people try to stick to listening to experts, and not shouting opinions as facts and double checking any and all social media posts, no matter how viral it spreads or how many "likes" it has. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Does social media make things better or worse in times like this? There is a strong argument to be put forward for both. 

I currently feel worse because I'm reading all kinds of stuff that I have no idea is true and a lot of it is very bleak. I can see how people would find comfort from it, but currently I don't. 

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Surely you don't need to be an infectious disease expert to realise that people are more likely to spread it before they know they've got it and that once they know they've got it they're less likely to go around spreading it.

That's just bloody common sense, surely? I can't be the only person who's been saying from the start that anything with an incubation period of more than a couple of days can't be contained?

I've heard some people say that some viruses aren't transmittable in the incubation period which makes them easier to deal with. This is just further proof the covid-19 doesn't work like that.

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Does social media make things better or worse in times like this? There is a strong argument to be put forward for both. 

Worse I reckon. I don't remember anything when Swine Flu was a problem. There's too many opinions and people thinking they know it all and the constant stream of info and panic does nothing to ease anxiety.

3 minutes ago, assorted said:

This author writes very dramatic things with a lot of confidence for someone whose two surrounding articles he's written are "How to Deliver Your Funny Speech" and "What The Rise of Skywalker Can Teach about Storytelling."

He's a writer trying to go viral and an expert in nothing. I, also not an expert, found some things he wrote undeniably accurate, but other things he wrote I caught was him jumping to what feels like a logical conclusion, but actually he's guessing and there are experts directly disagreeing with some of his conclusions.

We live in a very trying time in a crises like this, where many people don't trust governments and experts but do trust random people like this guy and others with large social media followings. 

I just hope most people try to stick to listening to experts, and not shouting opinions as facts and double checking any and all social media posts, no matter how viral it spreads or how many "likes" it has. 

Good point, I naively assumed they knew what they were talking about which may well be wrong, I should know better really! 

9 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Pretty much, and also what they said ages ago when they first realised that there were asymptomatic carriers. Not sure how much it changes tbh