Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

You know how bad the Australian toilet roll riots have been. Now imagine that with guns. 

Scary thing is...that might not be far from the truth in U.S.
Imagine if it came to light that the US govt. had ignored the warnings, not done enough, the poorest start dying unnecessarily, and then they decide to put those parts of the country on lock-down. 
There would be riots...

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

word on street/twitter is that govt will not ban mass events or close school yet, just tell people to stay home if ill and wash hands a lot etc.

Apparently this is advised from experts....probably a spreadsheet with how many deaths acceptable.

Interesting, I suspect/hope the plan is to have the big cancellations complete by summer, and they're just trying to reduce the amount of time we're in 'lockdown' for. Guess it's still a little early, realistically we can't really be having closures for more than 2-4 weeks? Would mean holding out until late April or May to go for the extreme measures

1 minute ago, Gilb said:

Imagine if it came to light that the US govt. had ignored the warnings, not done enough, the poorest start dying unnecessarily, and then they decide to put those parts of the country on lock-down. 
There would be riots...

How do you think the average american would react to being told to keep off the streets. I know we’ll be fine over here but America worries me. 

21 minutes ago, Gilb said:

There would be riots...

That poster who works in the NBA said they were shown government advisor projections of 50-100 million infections in the US, so Trump must have seen those, yet he's acting like he can bluff his way through it. It's bad situation anyway, but add in guns, paranoia, Trump in charge and a private health care system and it could really go to another level in the US.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

That poster who works in the NBA said they were shown government advisor projections of 50-100 million infections in the US, so Trump must have seen those, yet he's acting like he can bluff his way through it. It's bad situation anyway, but add in guns, paranoia, Trump in charge and a private health care system and it could really go to another level in the US.

You only have to look at how they managed Hurricane Katrina. It will be like that but on a national scale. 

Just now, Euphoricape said:

Ireland just announced all schools, colleges etc closed from tomorrow. Surely boris will do the same this afternoon.

For how long? I work in an art gallery so public building and we'll be closing when schools closed. We had a briefing yesterday that we should be prepared to close earliest at the end of next week. 

Just now, chazwwe said:

For how long? I work in an art gallery so public building and we'll be closing when schools closed. We had a briefing yesterday that we should be prepared to close earliest at the end of next week. 

He didn't give a timeframe but he was speaking from the US so I'd assume someone here will go into more detail. 

I work in a restaurant and we are down about 80% in the last week and that'll only get worse. 

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Just saw the press conference. Until march 29th he said.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Schools and colleges to close in Republic of Ireland
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51850811

Just now, TheBurns said:

He didn't give a timeframe but he was speaking from the US so I'd assume someone here will go into more detail. 

I work in a restaurant and we are down about 80% in the last week and that'll only get worse. 

Yep, we're a free open building and we're funded by the arts council and local council, we mostly run off footfall and then we host events/have a shop that let us continue to do free activities but our footfall is what helps us with grants. The past 7 days have been really bad for us. 

1 minute ago, Euphoricape said:

Thank you for this. Yep expected the 2 weeks. UK will probably not be far from behind, maybe after midday. 

6 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Ireland just announced all schools, colleges etc closed from tomorrow. Surely boris will do the same this afternoon.

The childcare implications of this are worrying. How many parents can’t get to work as they will have to stay at home?  If it happens here they could just run the closures into the Easter hols break. 

5 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Supposed to be heading to Galway at Easter (from NI). I wonder will there been an impact on that trip.

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The childcare implications of this are worrying. How many parents can’t get to work as they will have to stay at home?  If it happens here they could just run the closures into the Easter hols break. 

That's my worry- the likely hood is a lot of people would have to get their grandparents to look after the kids, which could make the move completely counter productive

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I have a friend that works frontline for the NHS, is a single parent. It's one of their biggest worries and concerns now as they've been told all hands are gonna be needed for the next few weeks.

Just now, st dan said:

Appreciate it isn’t the main concern right now and people’s health is obviously far more important, but the impact on the worlds economy this is going to have is quite frightening. 

The trouble is, if the economy utterly tanks for the next few years that might end up having a huge long term effect on even more people than the coronavirus.