Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

15 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

And apologies likewise, I was clearly misinformed about a few aspects of this and made some insensitive comments that were guided by fears that I'm about to plunge back into my worst mental days. Rest assured the last thing I and anyone else wants is this spreading.

Down vote removed , and I hope you find yourself in a better place soon

35 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

In Sweden the last week of February is a public holiday called Sportlov, where its tradition for a family to spend the week doing some kinda outdoor activities together and, as you can imagine, skiing tends to be top of the list. And, again as you can imagine, Italy tends to be a preferred venue. 

So lots of families did their usual trips there this year, before it had properly escalated, and here we are. 

Interesting, thanks for the info!

28 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Read it its good advice 

Whilst this may or may not be good advice (I have no idea, I'm not an expert), there is a real problem at the moment with believeing advice from people on social media instead of looking at advice from the NHS, WHO, PHE and the like.

Before you believe anything you read on social media, check the sources. In this case the source is a nightclub bouncer from Wolverhampton. He's probably a lovely guy but he's clearly not a healthcare professional so probably best not shared until it comes from a trustworthy source. Just saying.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

Whilst this may or may not be good advice (I have no idea, I'm not an expert), there is a real problem at the moment with believeing advice from people on social media instead of looking at advice from the NHS, WHO, PHE and the like.

Before you believe anything you read on social media, check the sources. In this case the source is a nightclub bouncer from Wolverhampton. He's probably a lovely guy but he's clearly not a healthcare professional so probably best not shared until it comes from a trustworthy source. Just saying.

100x this. We should be relying upon advice from healthcare bodies and the government only at this time. 

11 hours ago, Matt42 said:

We’d loose two of our headliners, our legend slot, most of the pyramid lineup, probably a few major slots on the other stage. Is Paul based in America? If so we’d lose him too.

I know you probably think that’s a great thing as you think it would give some british bands larger slots, but think about it rationally. If you were the Eavis family on how on earth would you go about fixing that issue with what... 2 months till the festival?

I'd put it on anyway, even if its just the ghost of mark e Smith and your granny on the bongos, it's Glastonbury. We can make our own fun. 

I’ve started feeling worried about it for the first time. Not Glastonbury being cancelled, as much as I love it (it’s my favourite place in the world/week of the year and does my mental health so much good), it’s not an essential part of life.  

I mean I’ve started feeling worried about the virus. It’s all started feeling a bit serious.  

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The toilet roll panic is back. Asda completely cleared out

I ridiculed them at first, but with all the news since then it’s now understandable that people are literally shitting themselves over this (me included!)

1 minute ago, themuel said:

I’ve started feeling worried about it for the first time. Not Glastonbury being cancelled, as much as I love it (it’s my favourite place in the world/week of the year and does my mental health so much good), it’s not an essential part of life.  

I mean I’ve started feeling worried about the virus. It’s all started feeling a bit serious.  

Me too, I wish I hadn’t read so much about it now

2 minutes ago, themuel said:

I was previously my most worried about the virus 3-2 weeks ago. Like "there's no point being happy about anything as this threat looms over us" kind of worried. Then I started writing down reasons to be happy each day, and I was doing much better. I even became the calm voice of reason in my office.

Today? I'm right back to terrified. For the first time ever, this evening, I feel like I really can't care whether Glastonbury goes ahead or not, as long as my family and loved ones make it through this okay and society doesn't completely collapse.

I hope my outlook improves again as it did before, because I don't know how I'll make it through the next few months with this mentality.

6 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

That lovely bouncer is a personal friend of mine and he runs the company.. Its also his security firm that looks after pilton village when the festival is on.. I totally agree with you that he's not NHS etc but these security companies do have to do alot of health welfare and safety training nowadays... 

This isn't HIS advice but if knowing him as I do he thinks it's good enough to share then so do I.. And if I read it its really only common sense stuff.....

and when you think about this not shaking hands but do the elbow thing well the government say to cough into your elbow.. Lol 

I think the more you know the better you will be prepared.. 

7 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Yep. Mistake I made 6 weeks ago, which is why I’m a lot further down the misery road than most.

Misery and anxiety appears to increase 22% each day- the same rate as the forecast spread of the virus!

4 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I was previously my most worried about the virus 3-2 weeks ago. Like "there's no point being happy about anything as this threat looms over us" kind of worried. Then I started writing down reasons to be happy each day, and I was doing much better. I even became the calm voice of reason in my office.

That's a great way of doing things, keeps things in perspective. There will be things every day that will help make people happy, it's human nature to sometimes not recognise them especially when something bad like this is going on.

This from the government’s own Pandemic Mitigation Review:

2.25 Evidence supporting the role of mass gatherings in the transmission of influenza comes from events where there are crowds with high densities, and also where the participants are likely to live close together for prolonged periods, such as large musical festivals (Department of Health 2011 I). In these events, crowded accommodation is also likely to be relatively basic, such as communal camp style living. It seems apparent that events where close contact among participants extends beyond event venues and into accommodation areas are most associated with influenza. Event size per se does not seem to be a critical factor.

Full doc here for those interested: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/215666/dh_125333.pdf