Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

15 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The idea of being holed up in my little one bed and not being able to spend time with any of my loved ones sends me back to the darkest time in my life which is why I’m so afraid of house arrest, especially if it was to go on for 6 months or a year. But it seems I may have been misinformed about Italy. 

Consider the mental health of all those who stand to lose someone in horrific circumstances, or even the physical health of those who survive, if this becomes truly widespread.  Consider the mental health of those who wouldn't be able to arrange or attend funerals for loved ones who had died from the disease because they'd be forced to isolate, whilst grieving and coping with one of the most difficult periods of their lives. Consider the mental health of the medical professionals who'd be forced to choose who to try to save, as they have in Italy. 

Get some perspective.

13 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Yep. Horrifying stuff. To be put in that position to chose who gets to live I could never do. 

This is why I've been saying that if Glastonbury gets cancelled 3 months from now, we have much bigger things to worry about.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Grim

Scariest thing I've seen so far.

I can imagine this happening in the States as well when they finally realise it has taken off there.

Trying to persuade daughter that trip to the USA in May might not be that wise a move.......not sure she is listening quite yet.

10 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I wasn't overly harsh with anything I said?  Don't come for me to deflect from your own comments earlier on, I didn't call anybody out on mental health issues. 

Definitely not coming for you to deflect - it's not even the worst thing I've said on the subject of mental health today to be honest which I know I need to work on. I definitely shouldn't ever comment on those things I'm turning into my dad. 

I meant to add I remember that from when I was in long distance while 9-5ing - cancellations etc were difficult and it does weigh some additional anxiety on life 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Wellyboot said:

Not really on topic so I'm sorry but after reading what some of you have posted I would just like to say that if anyone needs someone to talk to.. 

its perfectly on topic .... emotions are running high and low for everyone .... please consider this when posting and responding .... nobody knows the full picture of peoples lives outside of here 

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This would absolutely be the plan if the trains are still running.

I do hope that you get that opportunity but I more than hope we never get there. Sorry for my outburst towards yourself and your partner. I hope we all see each other in June and can relax even just for that week. 

1 minute ago, Garrett_Salas said:

To be fair to the guy, he's apologised and is clearly a bit distressed - I don't think a pile on is needed.

Fair - apologies if it came across as one on my behalf. Have followed this thread from the start as have tickets for this summer, but as the virus has grown from a subject of 'will it inconvenience me' to 'is this a danger to my family', have found some of the tone on here extremely off. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This would absolutely be the plan if the trains are still running.

I don't think suddenly overnight the UK is gonna become North Korea and stop you or partner traveling, what, 50 miles? I think if it's in the pipeline, it'll start to become clear over the next week. I'd suggest you try and start looking into plans. 

4 hours ago, Tuna said:

Here I am defining the rate of detection as the number of positive cases / number of tests. Is that incorrect terminology? Apologies if so 

I think the surface level implication from the difference in these two values (whatever the correct name for it is) is that tests are being performed on different populations. I don't know anything about the difference between testing in the two countries so can't comment with anything concrete unfortunately. 

But let me attempt to explain: what we are comparing in these time frames are diagnoses, not rate of infection. That's my point, is all. Given that significantly more positives are found per test in Italy, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that the tests were performed on people with higher likelihood of infection, as a priority, which is why the numbers grew far more quickly. These numbers don't track directly the rate of spread of disease.

Not my point at all. I'm saying in comparing the two -- normalised to N diagnosed cases -- has room for error in the determination of N.

Ah yes, I get what you mean.

I am going to try and source daily test data for Italy tomorrow (I have it for the UK) so we can paint a better picture then but by looking at Italy's overall test numbers and trying to infer their daily numbers I think it is fair to say that we won't be on the same trajectory as them at the minute in any case.

Here in Norway right now everything is being cancelled. Our national health institute today recommended that all arrangements with over 500 participants be cancelled or postponed.

If England finds itself in the same situation in a month or two, I can see Glastonbury being cancelled. And with over 50.000 people gathered at Anfield tonight, and how many thousands at this weekends Premier League round + all the other places where a lot of people gather, it's difficult to see how you will be able to contain the virus moving forward.

Right now we can't be afraid of what will be cancelled or not. It's about doing everything to avoid our elderly and sick catching the disease.

22 minutes ago, Copperface said:

That is grim reading indeed. One thing I couldn't get from the Twitter thread is how close are they to needing to actually implement that? Has anyone looked at it deeper/speaks Italian?

2 minutes ago, Anarion said:

Here in Norway right now everything is being cancelled. Our national health institute today recommended that all arrangements with over 500 participants be cancelled or postponed.

If England finds itself in the same situation in a month or two, I can see Glastonbury being cancelled. And with over 50.000 people gathered at Anfield tonight, and how many thousands at this weekends Premier League round + all the other places where a lot of people gather, it's difficult to see how you will be able to contain the virus moving forward.

Right now we can't be afraid of what will be cancelled or not. It's about doing everything to avoid our elderly and sick catching the disease.

Same in Sweden, as of midnight tonight 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That is grim reading indeed. One thing I couldn't get from the Twitter thread is how close are they to needing to actually implement that? Has anyone looked at it deeper/speaks Italian?

From the Joe Rogan podcast the guy he had on there had an email saying its pretty much already in place in terms of picking healthier/younger people 

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

I do hope that you get that opportunity but I more than hope we never get there. Sorry for my outburst towards yourself and your partner. I hope we all see each other in June and can relax even just for that week. 

And apologies likewise, I was clearly misinformed about a few aspects of this and made some insensitive comments that were guided by fears that I'm about to plunge back into my worst mental days. Rest assured the last thing I and anyone else wants is this spreading.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I like how much you care about your nan, I’m also worried about my mum! Though I’m also worried about the impact on elderly people (many of which struggle with loneliness anyways) would cope with prolonged isolation. This is a really difficult situation, it’s horrible dealing with the anxiety about what’s going to happen!

My nan is good thanks :) . You raise a very good point about  loneliness, something i didn't consider when i posted that and i definitely should have.

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

its perfectly on topic .... emotions are running high and low for everyone .... please consider this when posting and responding .... nobody knows the full picture of peoples lives outside of here 

.. Nice thing he's offered imo... Talking is good and might be needed in the few weeks.. Christ in the few weeks some might be having miner breakdowns.. 

Let's hope everyone stays safe.. That's the most important thing.. Again imo. 

Edited by guypjfreak

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Same in Sweden, as of midnight tonight 

5 minutes ago, Anarion said:

Any idea why Sweden and Norway have been hit so hard in the last few days? To me the growth in these two countries was higher than I would have expected, unless they are popular hot-spots for Italian tourists or something. Can't find any info on how many tests they have carried out either to see if it is higher than the norm

Just now, northernringo said:

Any idea why Sweden and Norway have been hit so hard in the last few days? To me the growth in these two countries was higher than I would have expected, unless they are popular hot-spots for Italian tourists or something. Can't find any info on how many tests they have carried out either to see if it is higher than the norm

Lots of Norwegians spend their winter holiday skiing in Northern Italy.

Just now, Anarion said:

Lots of Norwegians spend their winter holiday skiing in Northern Italy.

Interesting, would not have considered that despite it sounding fairly obvious.

I wonder would it be higher though than the number from the UK travelling to Northern Italy, or the likes of Austria.

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

In Sweden the last week of February is a public holiday called Sportlov, where its tradition for a family to spend the week doing some kinda outdoor activities together and, as you can imagine, skiing tends to be top of the list. And, again as you can imagine, Italy tends to be a preferred venue. 

So lots of families did their usual trips there this year, before it had properly escalated, and here we are. 

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

Interesting, would not have considered that despite it sounding fairly obvious.

I wonder would it be higher though than the number from the UK travelling to Northern Italy, or the likes of Austria.

The way people move around these days, and with the virus' incubation time, it will probably explode in most countries in due time.

At least if countries doesn't immediately start banning large gatherings of people.

4 minutes ago, Anarion said:

The way people move around these days, and with the virus' incubation time, it will probably explode in most countries in due time.

At least if countries doesn't immediately start banning large gatherings of people.

It hasn’t ‘exploded’ here yet

https://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/national/18298566.uk-following-science-not-banning-mass-gatherings---health-chief/