Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s more than that though. It’s the complete strain that house arrest is going to put on the mental health of the entire nation. 

I dont doubt that house arrests for months would be bad. But i very much doubt that would happen. No one has said that or of any means predicting that. 

The fact youve used a relationship being stable as an example of why that is bad shows where your priorities are. I wont be discussing this with you due to that. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Have I been misinformed about what’s going on in Italy? I was under the impression that the government ordered the northern region to stay indoors and then rolled it out to the whole country earlier this week?

They are still going out to the shops when they need more food and stuff. Think they are advising staying in as much as possible not forcibly making people stay in.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’ve probably made some emotive comments because I’m so fucking mentally fragile atm but I’m not trying to come across as a dick so sorry if I did.

But the problem with that idea is that to do so, someone would need to get a train, and that wouldn’t be allowed if an Italian style house arrest is introduced. 

I'd say basically saying fuck the elderly and vulnerable in society because I want to see my girlfriend on a weekend is a little more than 'emotive comments'. I understand you're probably not in a good place right now, but try to think before you put messages out & you might find this forum a good supportive place. 

Italy aren't under house arrest either & it's very unlikely that all public transport will be cancelled. 

17 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

This is one of the most selfish things I've ever read on this forum. Things like this really do bring out the worst in people. 

14 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Fuck you and fuck your long distance relationship. My life and my parents lives (60s) are more important than your year and a half relationship 

Ironically, and tragically, this is exactly what the Italian College of Anaesthesia, Analgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care have literally just addressed in a published communique.

Part of it states " It may become necessary to establish an age limit for access to intensive care".

Not just for Covid19, but for any condition.

1 minute ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'd say basically saying fuck the elderly and vulnerable in society because I want to see my girlfriend on a weekend is a little more than 'emotive comments'. I understand you're probably not in a good place right now, but try to think before you put messages out & you might find this forum a good supportive place. 

Italy aren't under house arrest either & it's very unlikely that all public transport will be cancelled. 

Honestly don't be harsh - some people work all week (which is shit lets face it) and look forward to seeing someone at the weekend. The idea of that being taken away is very difficult. It is an emotive response. 

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Maybe I’ve misunderstood exactly what’s happening in Italy. I was under the impression that all transport was off and the police were forceably making people stay home. 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Honestly don't be harsh - some people work all week (which is shit lets face it) and look forward to seeing someone at the weekend. The idea of that being taken away is very difficult. It is an emotive response. 

The idea of being holed up in my little one bed and not being able to spend time with any of my loved ones sends me back to the darkest time in my life which is why I’m so afraid of house arrest, especially if it was to go on for 6 months or a year. But it seems I may have been misinformed about Italy. 

Olympic organisers have insisted the Tokyo Games will go ahead as planned in July, despite the sharp spike in Covid‑19 cases across the globe.

Yoshiro Mori, the Tokyo 2020 Olympics chief, said his team were not considering changing plans for the Games – and that a board member who had suggested a delay because of the coronavirus had apologised.

Sources at the International Olympic Committee are also stressing that nothing has changed, with those in the organisation pointing out there is still more than four months before the Games begin.

Think a lot of you on this thread would like To implement this attitude to such suggestions on this thread 😂

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Maybe I’ve misunderstood exactly what’s happening in Italy. I was under the impression that all transport was off and the police were forceably making people stay home. 

I think they can stay in their local communities, got to shops (where they have to queue to go in one at a time) restaurants cafes etc, where they have to sit at least 1 metre apart from one another. I think they just can’t leave their locality and travel around the country

I think people’s mental health is suffering worrying about this virus every day. I would much rather be under house arrest for a few weeks and let this blow over than my 75 year old nan dying because people don’t want to stay in- tough but that’s the reality. 
It actually upsets me that people don’t care about other people. Ill and old or young and healthy why don’t people stick together and help each other out. So much selfishness in the world now I’ll blame social media for no reason at all. 

2 minutes ago, tomfestival_11 said:

I think people’s mental health is suffering worrying about this virus every day. I would much rather be under house arrest for a few weeks and let this blow over than my 75 year old nan dying because people don’t want to stay in- tough but that’s the reality. 
It actually upsets me that people don’t care about other people. Ill and old or young and healthy why don’t people stick together and help each other out. So much selfishness in the world now I’ll blame social media for no reason at all. 

I like how much you care about your nan, I’m also worried about my mum! Though I’m also worried about the impact on elderly people (many of which struggle with loneliness anyways) would cope with prolonged isolation. This is a really difficult situation, it’s horrible dealing with the anxiety about what’s going to happen!

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I wasn't overly harsh with anything I said?  Don't come for me to deflect from your own comments earlier on, I didn't call anybody out on mental health issues. 

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The idea of being holed up in my little one bed and not being able to spend time with any of my loved ones sends me back to the darkest time in my life which is why I’m so afraid of house arrest, especially if it was to go on for 6 months or a year. But it seems I may have been misinformed about Italy. 

I don't think you should worry about that. As I said, it seems that the Italy lockdown is through consent and residents certainly aren't forced to stay at home. Even if something similar were to happen here, it will not be 6months +

I think the reality of the situation is starting to become apparent in this thread just by the fact that people are starting to say things that they'll probably regret in the future. It is a shit situation whatever way you look at it, and everybody will have a view on how to deal with it. Nobody wants any of these things to happen but the chances are bad things are gonna end up happening over the next few weeks and months. The worst thing that we can do is end up at each others throats.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

I think you're coming across as a dick in your other posts, but genuine question - if we're all under house arrest then you ain't going to be going to work so what is stopping you from staying with your girlfriend (or vice versa) for the period?

This. Even if you have to work from home can't you both do it in the same place i.e. yours or hers? Me and my partner are going to have to a bit for the next couple of weeks (I work from home some days anyway and his work is trialling it from tomorrow) which will be interesting as it's a small flat anyway and in the process of us decorating it so pretty chaotic. But needs must.

5 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Not sure if this was posted earlier (and excuse Boris) but I found this, particularly on the sport events / public gatherings quite interesting

I’ve watched/read this and it’s very very reassuring as far as Glastonbury is concerned.

That said they talk about ‘when the time is right’ etc, virus cases increase exponentially, so every day the number of new cases will be higher than the number of new cases the day before, and so on until this ramps up more and more aggressively.

So at some point they are going to change this view and start banning stuff, it just depends when that is. For the purposes of Glastonbury I hope it’s in the next couple of weeks and no longer.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This. Even if you have to work from home can't you both do it in the same place i.e. yours or hers? Me and my partner are going to have to a bit for the next couple of weeks (I work from home some days anyway and his work is trialling it from tomorrow) which will be interesting as it's a small flat anyway and in the process of us decorating it so pretty chaotic. But needs must.

This would absolutely be the plan if the trains are still running.

I've got tickets for this year but I would not want to introduce or re-introduce this crap in to the area and it's inhabitants, in addition, I want the full festival not a watered down version because areas can't be manned or built. I don't want medics at the festival dealing with sprained ankles and people having bad ones because I have the feeling there may be more serious stuff afoot.

I think there's a bigger picture here and choosing to ignore it does not make it vanish.

• Upvote 2