Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I was about to type similar was looking  for the words for it ... thanks 

To be honest, this whole limbo is effecting me a little. I have been doing a postgrad course at University which finished yesterday, I had thought from today I would be on a huge exciting countdown to a big celebratory blow out at Glastonbury. Now it looks like it's going to be a couple of BBQs listening to spotify.

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

Was the case for years - have walked in there to steam especially in wet years - coming off the grassy / muddy ground. Thing is unlike, say, Small World or Toad Hall, its pretty much enclosed...

ive tried to get in there the last couple of festivals and about turned with my glasses misting up ...the heat / humidity has been too much 

27 minutes ago, terryaanderson said:

How could you justify shutting down Glastonbury with two hundred thousand on site and outdoors, without shutting down the disease hotbed with a million users a day that is the London Underground?

because people have to take transport to get to work. They don't have to go to glastonbury.

I have to go to glastonbury, but it's not a universal requirement. 

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I am in a long distance relationship. I live in South London and my girlfriend of 18 months is an hour away in Brighton. It’s been this way for a few months and will continue for another couple of years (due to circumstances) when we’ll finally be able to move in together.

We have no car so rely on trains to spend time together. Usually spend Friday night until Monday morning together, alternating weekends between London and Brighton. 

If the government cancel all the trains and make us stay at home for months and not see it other it’ll absolutely cripple my mental health. I have no doubt others will suffer serious mental issues if we are all placed under house arrest. Suicides will happen. Coronavirus is no doubt an unfriendly disease but the alternative is far, far worse. 

My wife and I started with a long distance relationship for the first 3 years of our relationship, I was in Colchester she was in Plymouth, it was hard and many planned weekends got cancelled last minute due to my job, I also spent 6 months away with work where we didn’t see each other at all. It was hard and we had a few ups and downs, but I really think that first 3 years is the reason we are so good now 23 years later. I hope I don’t  sound too condescending, but hang in there and this will be the making of your relationship.

1 minute ago, Chrisp1986 said:

To be honest, this whole limbo is effecting me a little. I have been doing a postgrad course at University which finished yesterday, I had thought from today I would be on a huge exciting countdown to a big celebratory blow out at Glastonbury. Now it looks like it's going to be a couple of BBQs listening to spotify.

likewise ... talk to people ... friends/  people on here ... theres friendly ears everywhere ... but please talk 

• Upvote 1

Hopefully we'll be in the fields this year, having just watched Noel and waiting for Macca to come on. Reminiscing on how great The Cure were last year. Thinking about how happy we are to have tickets for the 50th anniversary of Glastonbury. Then someone jokes "remember when we thought Glastonbury might be cancelled this year?" We all laugh and smile, just as the lights go dark and Macca graces the stage.

Edited by Miyn
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

My wife and I started with a long distance relationship for the first 3 years of our relationship, I was in Colchester she was in Plymouth, it was hard and many planned weekends got cancelled last minute due to my job, I also spent 6 months away with work where we didn’t see each other at all. It was hard and we had a few ups and downs, but I really think that first 3 years is the reason we are so good now 23 years later. I hope I don’t  sound too condescending, but hang in there and this will be the making of your relationship.

It doesn’t have to be that way though. We are both 9-5 workers so we spend the weekends together. The only reason we wouldn’t see each other is if the government decides it’s appropriate to put the entire population under house arrest to try and save the lives of people who are at serious risk of dying anyway from their other health problems. 

• Downvote 6

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Sorry for what's coming below - this rant isn't aimed at you specifically nor is any offence at all - I've just hit a bit of a boiling point on some of this

"expected to die in the near future"??? This isn't just affecting people who are close to death, they may have years left in them without this accelerating it. If my parents in their 60s die from it, when they may not have done, is that acceptable because of their relatively advanced age? My Grandad is generally fine at 83, maybe got a good few years left in him taking away this virus, would that be acceptable too? 

This isn't the first time I've read something like this and it's a really dangerous assumption that it will mainly kill people who are nearly at the end of their lives. Ill people in their 20s-50s too, poor immune systems or ashma etc yes but doesn't mean they deserve to die. 

On the mental health thing if people are so bloody fragile that they can't stop going out and doing exactly what they want for a bit (for the good of others!!!), it's ridiculous and I don't really care about their mental health in that situation- what about the mental health of those with pre existing conditions who feel they are just a statistic because "only" they will die? or the doctors who read the accounts from Italy who are seeing the government just carrying on with some platitudes? To be honest it strips back the facade of our supposedly "civilised" society. It's not like being in prison nor is it house arrest, it's a necessary inconvenience to protect others. You can still work, can still get food, you just can't do all these luxury UNNECESSARY things that we normally do on a daily basis. For a while. 

As was pointed out earlier, they may not be taking measures because doing it "too early" means people will not accept them.The scary thing is people seem to need an absolute disaster before taking things seriously. It seems to be changing on here because everyone is reasonable and normal and thinks for themselves, but a lot of the the general public still either couldn't give a fat one about it to be honest, or are just still meme-ing about it and saying its overblown.

The biggest issue is that the healthcare doesn't get overwhelmed, meaning both people who may have survived won't get treatment so will die, and those who have normal everyday issues heart attacks, diabetes complications etc won't get treatment and may die too. The point of delaying spread is avoiding that nightmare scenario.  

I would say to anyone who might have thoughts along the lines of "only the old and already ill will die anyway" - imagine if it was your parents, or grandparents. Everyone deserves to go out with some dignity, and the way people are dying in these Italian hospitals is far from it - due to the nature of it their families can't come in with them so they're dying alone and scared. Nobody deserves that and any measures taken will be to avoid that as much as possible. I implore you to read those accounts if you think this isn't a big deal. 

Accuse me of scaremongering all you want, but this is the reality of people in Italy right now, very close to us - NOT Iran and NOT China (as if it matters but I know a lot of people don't see those places as real or anything to do with us). Basically, an impassioned plea that we need to take this seriously and call out the attitude that the older and weaker don't matter. They do. 

Absolutely spot on.

Sentiment was right though. Everyone will need to make sacrifices to reduce the clear, huge, obvious and impending impact of this. Most people are just not ready for that. Indeed most wont listen or accept it when it comes.

Everyone is latching on to the open air event cancelling won’t work comments by the chief medical officer. He also clearly said anyone with even a mild respiratory condition will be asked to self isolate for 7 days.

how many on here if Glastonbury goes ahead will stay at home if they develop a cough the day before gates open I wonder............

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It doesn’t have to be that way though. We are both 9-5 workers so we spend the weekends together. The only reason we wouldn’t see each other is if the government decides it’s appropriate to put the entire population under house arrest to try and save the lives of people who are at serious risk of dying anyway from their other health problems. 

You're assuming only unhealthy old people are dying, and you seem to think they don't matter that much, as long as you are o.k. If you tested positive for the disease would you still go and visit your girlfriend? I'm assuming she's young and healthy so the risk to her wouldn't be that great would it? If you were locked down you could still speak to her on the phone or skype so it looks like it's the interruption to your sex life your bothered about. Time to take a broader look at the situation I think.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This is one of the most selfish things I've ever read on this forum. Things like this really do bring out the worst in people. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Fuck you and fuck your long distance relationship. My life and my parents lives (60s) are more important than your year and a half relationship 

• Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

And also consider those massive holiday parks, centre parcs,  with pools, indoor entertainment venues. Kids softplays etc with thousands of people changeover every Saturday. Are they going to close them? 

I advocate the permanent shutting down of all soft-play centres, irrespective of any pandemic

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Red Telephone said:

I advocate the permanent shutting down of all soft-play centres, irrespective of any pandemic

As a grandparent who has had to crawl through one of them, down tunnels , up ladders etc trying to find a crying three year old and his lost socks I concur! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Fuck you and fuck your long distance relationship. My life and my parents lives (60s) are more important than your year and a half relationship 

It’s more than that though. It’s the complete strain that house arrest is going to put on the mental health of the entire nation. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s more than that though. It’s the complete strain that house arrest is going to put on the mental health of the entire nation. 

I think you're coming across as a dick in your other posts, but genuine question - if we're all under house arrest then you ain't going to be going to work so what is stopping you from staying with your girlfriend (or vice versa) for the period?

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

honestly mate it won't be house arrest in that way - we're not China and can't get away with that, there'd be riots. London -> Brighton isn't far and some people even commute for work each day (I'd venture even some medical staff do that)- I just don't see coaches and trains shutting down at such short distances. 

Just now, Garrett_Salas said:

I think you're coming across as a dick in your other posts, but genuine question - if we're all under house arrest then you ain't going to be going to work so what is stopping you from staying with your girlfriend (or vice versa) for the period?

I’ve probably made some emotive comments because I’m so fucking mentally fragile atm but I’m not trying to come across as a dick so sorry if I did.

But the problem with that idea is that to do so, someone would need to get a train, and that wouldn’t be allowed if an Italian style house arrest is introduced. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

But the problem with that idea is that to do so, someone would need to get a train, and that wouldn’t be allowed if an Italian style house arrest is introduced. 

They are not under 'house arrest'.

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’ve probably made some emotive comments because I’m so fucking mentally fragile atm but I’m not trying to come across as a dick so sorry if I did.

It appears that the Italy 'house arrest' (it's not a house arrest) is being done mainly through consent. Plus it's Brighton and London... 

Just now, Garrett_Salas said:

It appears that the Italy 'house arrest' (it's not a house arrest) is being done mainly through consent. Plus it's Brighton and London... 

Have I been misinformed about what’s going on in Italy? I was under the impression that the government ordered the northern region to stay indoors and then rolled it out to the whole country earlier this week?