Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

How much of the population in China is 65+?

The highest recorded number of deaths in China per day was 108 I believe. 196 today in Italy. 

Are you still hyperbolic for thinking that something stinks? 

To elaborate on what Neil pointed out, their first cases were basically people who had already died from it, as opposed to most other countries who caught it at the start and had a number of diagnosed cases first, people in intensive care etc before they actually passed away from it. The spread would’ve been huge before they even realised its happening, now they’re playing catch up but are completely overwhelmed so probably more are dying simply because of this more than anything.

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

How well do you think the conservatives would fund the NHS if the economy goes down the pan and we go into a massive recession, mass unemployment etc?

How many lives lost then? 

That's right - look on the bright side.

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not to mention the potentially fatal impact on the economy.... yes the economy, it might be unpopular to focus on this but it needs to be considered.

If we take it as a given that the NHS is stretched and underfunded, if we’re plunged into a deep recession then how does that help the NHS in the longer term?

Its really not as black and white as locking the country down to save lives, lives will be lost in the long term if it’s not handled correctly 

Why can't we deal with that after? Deal with the current issue instead of the worst case future scenario 

Just now, Ommadawn said:

That's right - look on the bright side.

I’m just trying to make the point that it’s not as black and white as people think, there are a number of considerations at play. The reality is the genie out of the bottle so there is not one perfect solution, they all have big downsides with is the nature of being caught in a global pandemic. 

18 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Over 23% of their population is 65+, highest percentage of that group in all of Europe. Essentially, they’ve just got more elderly.. and as Neil pointed out, they’ve been shocking with their initial testing/response.

In addition to this they’re always kissing (sounds stupid but won’t help)

Heart says no, head says yes.

There have been several major cancellations of sporting events in the UK and Europe so far, but if it keeps to go up, I doubt the organisers would want to risk anything. Why would Glasto be any diff? There's 220k people in a field with massive chances of contamination from taps, loos, outside showers, people passing magic cigarettes to randoms, people in crowds yelling at cheering and gobbing over everybody within ten feet of them, beers being shared, not to mention the fact there's already a phenomena called Glasto-flu that happens every year, not sure the festival would want that changed to Glasto-coronavirus-flu.

I'm all for positivity, I know that message looks a bit serious and pessimisstic, but that's my take on it. 

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Heart says no, head says yes.

There have been several major cancellations of sporting events in the UK and Europe so far, but if it keeps to go up, I doubt the organisers would want to risk anything. Why would Glasto be any diff? There's 220k people in a field with massive chances of contamination from taps, loos, outside showers, people passing magic cigarettes to randoms, people in crowds yelling at cheering and gobbing over everybody within ten feet of them, beers being shared, not to mention the fact there's already a phenomena called Glasto-flu that happens every year, not sure the festival would want that changed to Glasto-coronavirus-flu.

I'm all for positivity, I know that message looks a bit serious and pessimisstic, but that's my take on it. 

The scientific experts have said the virus won’t last long outside hence outdoor events are low risk. If somebody has the virus without knowing they have it they will spread it wherever they go. If they know they have it they shouldn’t be at Glastonbury or anywhere else, they should be in lockdown. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The scientific experts have said the virus won’t last long outside hence outdoor events are low risk. If somebody has the virus without knowing they have it they will spread it wherever they go. If they know they have it they shouldn’t be at Glastonbury or anywhere else, they should be in lockdown. 

But that's the trouble isn't it, some people don't show any symptoms up to ten days. 

And where are these "scientific experts" when all these people have already cancelled shows - 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-madonna-miley-slipknot-the-music-gigs-cancelled-so-far-11948073

I'm not trying to have a go, just if the rates of infection continue to rise in the current trends, I would assume the Eavii wouldn't want to take the risk, no matter what the experts say. 

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I agree with festivals being less of a risk. Football matches though - those concourses are so busy and closed in in, toilets are a state etc that those are half indoor really. That's where I lose faith in the decision making a bit

Just now, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

But that's the trouble isn't it, some people don't show any symptoms up to ten days. 

And where are these "scientific experts" when all these people have already cancelled shows - 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-madonna-miley-slipknot-the-music-gigs-cancelled-so-far-11948073

I'm not trying to have a go, just if the rates of infection continue to rise in the current trends, I would assume the Eavii wouldn't want to take the risk, no matter what the experts say. 

That's true - I think Glastonbury could take the "socially responsible" approach even if other, more corporate/profit focused festivals at similar times take place.

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I know, but it’s easy to imagine a music festival as a hot bed for spreading viruses in the manner you described, but in reality it’s not actually the case. It’s not like normal public areas where there are loads of permanent spaces, walls, hand rails etc that people can leave viruses on. As long as people wash their hands regularly and don’t sneeze everywhere then it’s no more safe or dangerous than an infected person who didn’t know they were infected going about their daily lives. That’s the scientific view, however I do appreciate probably 98% of the population won’t see it like that so it could still easily be cancelled as a gesture over anything else.

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s not like normal public areas where there are loads of permanent spaces, walls, hand rails etc that people can leave viruses on. 

Oh! Of course! I actually hadnt realised this was why gatherings in open spaces in particular weren't that dangerous  

Edited by Sasperella

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Am I the only one who usually comes back from Glastonbury with a bug or two?

A lot of posters (including myself) came down with a vomiting/trots bug after returning from the festival in 2007

47 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

On the mental health thing if people are so bloody fragile that they can't stop going out and doing exactly what they want for a bit (for the good of others!!!), it's ridiculous and I don't really care about their mental health in that situation- what about the mental health of those with pre existing conditions who feel they are just a statistic because "only" they will die? or the doctors who read the accounts from Italy who are seeing the government just carrying on with some platitudes? To be honest it strips back the facade of our supposedly "civilised" society. It's not like being in prison nor is it house arrest, it's a necessary inconvenience to protect others. You can still work, can still get food, you just can't do all these luxury UNNECESSARY things that we normally do on a daily basis. For a while. 

I completely agree with your post, everyone should be treated with care and dismissive-ness is not fair at all. However please don't be dismissive about anyone struggle with any type of mental health issue. Each person is impacted differently and could very well be struggling if they can't go outside. You wouldn't know their current mental state and this type of action might very well be a trigger to get worse. I'm not saying they shouldn't make further decisions because of that just asking please don't refer to people struggling with mental health as 'fragile' in ay type of scenario. Please don't think I'm having a go cause I don't mean to be.

• Upvote 2

If tickets carried over to next year I wouldn’t be nearly half as worried as I am right now. I know it’s very unlikely. It just wouldn’t be viable but if anything was to come out of them cancelling, letting ticket holders retain their tickets would be the very small silver lining. 

i don’t think I can go through October’s stress again 😩