Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

5 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Hate to potentially bring that percentage down but I think it reads as ‘it’s extremely unlikely we will cancel AND not have a replacement of some sort’

Still definitely good news though

Yep, specially because they are in the same frame than Glastonbury (18-20 June), it's not an small festival (around 60K) and also it's a "camping festival". 

Plus the situation now in Germany is worse than in the UK.. 

Edited by AlexOvd

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

"very little" is "some". And the more contacts people have there more chance there is of spreading it around.

Social isolating is the only thing which is slowing the spread.

Still doesnt change the fact some experts say there is no point and others say it needs to be done asap.... 

4 hours ago, Breeze said:

Proactive attempts to detect sufferers are woeful and overall we are making the same mistake as the US has made these last weeks and not testing enough people to identify those who should self-isolate. 

You've tested 26 thousand people, only behind South Korea and Italy. The USA only 8554 as of 9th March. 

From the 23/2 till now, Italy went from 150 to 10k cases. The Uk went from 12 to 456. I'd say the UK is doing well relatively.

21 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Ooo cool! I'll be applying for Data Science jobs when I finally finish my PhD next year, any tips for getting a first job? 😅

Nice! I would say (based on personal experience) be careful you really know what job you'll be doing when you apply for it... sounds obvious, but a lot of companies out there want 'data scientists' as they are fashionable at the minute.

My first job was with a tech start-up who employed me as their first data scientist. Their products were in such early stages of development that they had no data and therefore no need for a data scientist. In a new position now thankfully!

My only advice would be learn to code as much as possible, it is nearly becoming more about the code than the underlying mathematics!

16 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Do you know much about a science book? 

Damn you upvote limit.

I feel sorry for Boardmasters in this situation.

I know it’s in August, so a while away and hopefully things will be getting back to a kind of normal or at best this is oldish news (3 months past worse say).

but if this continues to be so bleak and serious, then the organisers are probably very depressed with the potential prospect of a second cancellation. 

4 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Nice! I would say (based on personal experience) be careful you really know what job you'll be doing when you apply for it... sounds obvious, but a lot of companies out there want 'data scientists' as they are fashionable at the minute.

My first job was with a tech start-up who employed me as their first data scientist. Their products were in such early stages of development that they had no data and therefore no need for a data scientist. In a new position now thankfully!

My only advice would be learn to code as much as possible, it is nearly becoming more about the code than the underlying mathematics!

Cheers! I have a few companies I have my eyes on atm, but it seems to be such vast field at the moment so bound to be variation. Thankfully my research is mostly coding, and I have a side project on machine learning I'm very slowly progressing with, so hopefully can pad the CV nicely, thanks again!  

1 minute ago, brettredmayne said:

Wonder if the statement in the HOC will give us any more clues to events been shut down. I have an event in Liverpool on the 17th  April and a gig in Newcastle on the 18th so I am thinking these will be canceled

I am going to see the Who in a few weeks time, if they suggest over 60s stay in and self isolate then there’s going to be a helluva lot of spare tickets available 😉

11 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Cheers! I have a few companies I have my eyes on atm, but it seems to be such vast field at the moment so bound to be variation. Thankfully my research is mostly coding, and I have a side project on machine learning I'm very slowly progressing with, so hopefully can pad the CV nicely, thanks again!  

Feel free to fire me a PM if you ever have any questions, etc.

48 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Southside Festival, huge festival with camping in Germany on June:

Dear festival fans, we are currently receiving many inquiries about the Corona virus.  The current situation is as follows:
 We are currently assuming that the festival will take place quite normally.  We continue to monitor developments closely and are in close contact with the responsible authorities.  If they come to the conclusion that events have to be canceled, we will of course inform you accordingly.
 In the extremely unlikely event that our party has to be canceled without replacement, you as a ticket buyer are of course entitled to a reimbursement of the ticket costs.

IMG_20200311_155352.jpg

See you all in June. This kind of statements is all we need officially from GFL

My local hospital (the accursed Barrow-in-furness) has announced it has  a patient with corona and my gp has just texted to tell all their patients not to go to the GP surgery building as a precaution.

This thing is spreading like a virus!

Edited by Mr.Tease

Hungary declares state of emergency

Hungary has declared a state of emergency in response to the coronavirus outbreak, closing universities and banning large gatherings, Index.hu reports.

It says outdoor events of more than 500 people and indoor events of more than 100 people have been banned. This includes cinemas and theatres but not workplaces and shopping malls, it reports. 

There is also a ban on school trips abroad. The country has announced 13 confirmed cases so far.

Hungary taking this action after only 13 cases- there have now been quite a few different responses and different timings from various countries, so it'll be interesting to see which turn out to have been more effective

UK prime minister questions response in other countries

The UK prime minister, Boris Johnson, has invited the country’s UK deputy medical officer into number 10 Downing Street for a Q&A about coronavirus. Unusually, he is the interviewer rather than the interviewee, although, of course, he did used to be a journalist.

It covers how to wash your hands, whether to wear face masks and more ...

Johnson suggests that other governments under pressure are doing things like cancelling sporting events in decisions which are “not dictated by science”.

Looks like UK government is holding out against cancellations

Edited by Mr.Tease