Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

5 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

What I would say is, if it goes ahead might be easier for the ticketless here to be successful in the resale. The media has probably done enough to scare the fairweather attendees 

I’ve been thinking this, the effect may even possibly carry over to next years main ticket day, regardless of if this year is cancelled or not.

3 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I found this infographic on reddit, nice way to view the numbers.

By the way, the tone of some of the posts in this thread?  Can we give that a rest?  This is a discussion where we share our viewpoints, not an attempt to convince people they are right or wrong, because we are only expressing opinions, not certainties.

I like those things, it really does show how rapidly Italy has spiralled compared to us, and how our daily increase in case rates isn’t out of hand yet and is broadly in the middle.

30 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

She’s probably not wrong though is she? I mean how does this pan out until there is a vaccine?

If it’s not seasonal then it’s it going away until there is a vaccine, the only way to guarantee you don’t get it is lock yourself away until the vaccine is ready. In reality that’s not feasible for the vast majority of the population. The government can lock us away indefinitely but the world would literally collapse, it would be like a zombie film.

Reducing the global population whilst reducing the carbon footprint of those that survive seems a bit too convenient I reckon.

That Thunberg girl always did have a shifty look about her. Bet she’s at home in a swivel chair stroking a white cat.

• Upvote 1

Is there the possibility of no resale? 

Might be seen as bad form to be selling tickets when there is a legitimate chance of the festival being cancelled. Also, could be seen as a positive step in reducing the possibility of spread by reducing the amount of people inside the fence?

Just a theory. Undoubtedly nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

Is there the possibility of no resale? 

Might be seen as bad form to be selling tickets when there is a legitimate chance of the festival being cancelled. Also, could be seen as a positive step in reducing the possibility of spread by reducing the amount of people inside the fence?

Just a theory. Undoubtedly nonsense.

Yeah undoubtedly :D:D 

If there is no resale then they have effectively cancelled the festival. They wont cancel the festival until they have no choice.... so if they have no choice before the resale they will cancel, if they have no choice after the resale they will cancel it then then... 

Just now, Havors said:

Which science though? You got some saying stopping public gatherings = good and some saying it makes very little difference.... 😲

I was more posting that because the person who quoted me was in a tongue in cheek manner suggesting that wiping out a lot of the population would be good for the planet and that Greta may be behind it. She then almost immediately posted this telling us to look after the vulnerable and stay away from public gatherings.

36 minutes ago, Havors said:

Well if we are being realists we should remember that large swathes of our population are fucking idiots and that type of information would cause more harm than good :D 

Only have to read some of these pages to know that is very true.

26 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I think this is it. Today has felt distinctly... uncomfortable, at work. Everyone is hurriedly preparing contingency plans for lockdown and so everyone is feeling very stressed. Concurrently, it is dawning on people the knock on effects on upcoming holidays etc. It's all leaving a sense of really horrible unease and I imagine that this is happening everywhere.

I’m usually an optomistic person as far as these forums go but the virus talk has massive impacts on people’s lives and is really starting to hit home for me . you can’t avoid it if you want to and people will naturally be reacting differently towards it as loved ones and things we look forward to get hit . We should be looking out for each other on here despite our  differences over how we think things might go and how we communicate this ... the unknown is a scary beast :( 

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I like those things, it really does show how rapidly Italy has spiralled compared to us, and how our daily increase in case rates isn’t out of hand yet and is broadly in the middle.

Indeed, it shows also geographical trends along with how well countries are handling it.  Look at Thailand, for example, warm climate during the outbreak, one of the first nations to be affected and the numbers have been controlled.  Singapore, Malaysia, what is it about these countries that have made the spread less severe?  Is it climate, is it strict controls, is it widespread mask use? The answers lie in the numbers and thus far there is genuine hope that the potential for warmer weather ahead helping blunt this.  No one can be sure, but every day there is more data, more example scenarios of how this is being handled in different regions and which of those strategies are most effective.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Thought some of ye might like this

Tis done well

Very interesting, thanks. Something I takeaway from that from towards the end, the impact of people being scared and taking it seriously, washing their hands etc, and what that does to help cause inflection and flatten the case numbers down. It rings true with the guidance that while our case numbers are relatively low and not yet ramping up, introducing severe lockdown measures prematurely could be counter productive and people won’t take them seriously enough, this video supports that.

With no absolutely no scientific knowledge or medical background, I expect that when our daily increase in case numbers ramp above a 45 degree angle that’s when such measures will be brought in. I see the containment phase as as like a game of whack a mole that’s getting ever faster, once it ramps above 45 degrees containment isn’t working and they’ll look to change tactics.

24 minutes ago, Havors said:

Which science though? You got some saying stopping public gatherings = good and some saying it makes very little difference.... 😲

"very little" is "some". And the more contacts people have there more chance there is of spreading it around.

Social isolating is the only thing which is slowing the spread.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

"very little" is "some". And the more contacts people have there more chance there is of spreading it around.

Social isolating is the only thing which is slowing the spread.

yeah we seem to think we know better over here, when it's clear elsewhere that this is the answer

@eFestivals do you know when the site build officially begins? Do you think they'd hold off commencement for as long as possible? Construction always seems like a well-oiled machine with every day being important (some areas literally finish just before opening) so I'd imagine they must have a definitive must-start-by date?