Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

“Dr Harries said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be a decision supported by science”

The way I interpret this is: Cancelling such events will not be enough to contain the spread unless combined with far more drastic measures. It does not mean there is no risk of the virus been spread at such events.

If the virus is still prevalent in June it may be an issue for the smooth running of the festival; crew, artists, setup, health and safety, medical services etc even if not forced to cancel by government on containment grounds.

Edit: Why is my font massive? Didn't mean to shout.....

Edited by I am Jon

From the BBC live feed:

We brought you quite a drastic warning earlier from German leader Angela Merkel's press conference in Berlin, and we now have a few more details.

To recap, the chancellor said 60-70% of the population of Germany would likely become infected with the coronavirus.

That figure comes from scientists at the country's public health body, the Robert Koch Institute, and is set against the context of there continuing to be no vaccine nor specific treatment available for Covid-19.

As of yesterday evening, Germany had 1,296 cases of the virus and three deaths.

This is Mrs Merkel's first address to the public on the coronavirus crisis.

Gigs get cancelled a lot. I've been stuck a few times with  pointless hotel rooms and or coach tickets. I dont think i've has ever thought 'they should pay for this and that as well as my ticket money back.' It's massively disappointing and can be really frustrating if i've got a weekend planned around it but ehat can you do? Don't think i would describe any of it as a pr disaster. Glastonbury is bigger so more people are involved but if it's cancelled as it has no choice then as long as ticket money refunded/option to move ticket to next year (depending on whats decided, and people on here are already discussing that a lot) then i genuinley can't see why its a potential p.r disaster. Annoying/frustrating obviously.

Caveat- also had a holiday booked through tui totally changed as thomson went bust. I had no dealings with thomson but tui did. It came down to was i happy to change holiday (any extra cost except the 300quid normally charged to change details would be down to me) or did i want my money back. Tui didn't worry about any other arrangements i may have had around the holiday- they only worry about providing their side of contract. 

Glastonbury is still a business.

2 minutes ago, I am Jon said:

“Dr Harries said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be a decision supported by science”

The way I interpret this is: Cancelling such events will not be enough to contain the spread unless combined with far more drastic measures. It does not mean there is no risk of the virus been spread at such events.

If the virus is still prevalent in June it may be an issue for the smooth running of the festival; crew, artists, setup, health and safety, medical services etc even if not forced to cancel by government on containment grounds.

The virus will almost certainly be running in June, however you can’t put life on hold forever and after a period of containment life will have to go on at some point.

Coupled with what else they’ve said, that banning large scale events doesn’t necessarily have the impact people think, I think that statement means exactly what it says. There will be no science behind cancelling sporting events etc.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

From the BBC live feed:

We brought you quite a drastic warning earlier from German leader Angela Merkel's press conference in Berlin, and we now have a few more details.

To recap, the chancellor said 60-70% of the population of Germany would likely become infected with the coronavirus.

That figure comes from scientists at the country's public health body, the Robert Koch Institute, and is set against the context of there continuing to be no vaccine nor specific treatment available for Covid-19.

So the first thing she says in public is.... 33 million of you are going to get corona virus..... now thats the kind of reassurance a country needs from its leader..... 🙄

3 minutes ago, Havors said:

So the first thing she says in public is.... 33 million of you are going to get corona virus..... now thats the kind of reassurance a country needs from its leader..... 🙄

She also added that there is no immunity and no treatment! May as well of ended with a "deal with it" then put on a pair of sunglasses and left! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Havors said:

She’s probably not wrong though is she? I mean how does this pan out until there is a vaccine?

If it’s not seasonal then it’s it going away until there is a vaccine, the only way to guarantee you don’t get it is lock yourself away until the vaccine is ready. In reality that’s not feasible for the vast majority of the population. The government can lock us away indefinitely but the world would literally collapse, it would be like a zombie film.

17 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

From the BBC live feed:

That's missing the important sentence 'unless measures can be found to slow down the spread and develop a vacinne'

Also said that their main goal is to not overwhelm their health service.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

She’s probably not wrong though is she? I mean how does this pan out until there is a vaccine?

If it’s not seasonal then it’s it going away until there is a vaccine, the only way to guarantee you don’t get it is lock yourself away until the vaccine is ready. In reality that’s not feasible for the vast majority of the population. The government can lock us away indefinitely but the world would literally collapse, it would be like a zombie film.

Yeah but sometimes its best not to panic your population.... haha! 

I have a feeling that if it is not seasonal then we will see an expedited vaccine rushed through human trials and out the door. But even that will be the end of the year. 

14 minutes ago, Havors said:

Or maybe the honesty and realism we should be expecting from our representatives and leaders.

13 minutes ago, Havors said:

She didn’t say over how long (did she?) which is the important bit. 

If 70% of us get it in the next 2-3 months, fucko.

If 70% of us get it over the next 5 years, fine. It will hurt but we’ll get through. 

This is why we have to flatten the curve. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Copperface said:

Or maybe the honesty and realism we should be expecting from our representatives and leaders.

Well if we are being realists we should remember that large swathes of our population are fucking idiots and that type of information would cause more harm than good :D 

1 minute ago, whitehorses said:

She didn’t say over how long (did she?) which is the important bit. 

If 70% of us get it in the next 2-3 months, fucko.

If 70% of us get it over the next 5 years, fine. It will hurt but we’ll get through. 

This is why we have to flatten the curve. 

I was only referring to the BBC's cherry picked headline.... i was being facetious. :D 

I’ve came to the conclusion now that if it gets cancelled it gets cancelled, if it doesn’t sound. If it gets cancelled I would like to hope the rest of the country is on lockdown too as these decisions are being made in the best interests of people’s health. Would like the festival to allow people who have secured a ticket for this year to get priority for next year but if they don’t they don’t then I’ll see you on that bleak Autumnal Sunday morning in October.

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess it’s reflective of people’s real life worries and emotions start spilling out 

I think this is it. Today has felt distinctly... uncomfortable, at work. Everyone is hurriedly preparing contingency plans for lockdown and so everyone is feeling very stressed. Concurrently, it is dawning on people the knock on effects on upcoming holidays etc. It's all leaving a sense of really horrible unease and I imagine that this is happening everywhere.

It’s all Mrs Kid’s fault by the way, everything she has tickets for gets cancelled. Had tickets to go and see Adele at Wembley (cancelled) tickets to see Fleetwood Mac in Manchester (cancelled). Never had a cancelled gig in me life until she popped up. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

What I would say is, if it goes ahead might be easier for the ticketless here to be successful in the resale. The media has probably done enough to scare the fairweather attendees 

Yep .. and if you can play guitar then you’re likely to get a slot somewhere on the lineup. 

I found this infographic on reddit, nice way to view the numbers.

By the way, the tone of some of the posts in this thread?  Can we give that a rest?  This is a discussion where we share our viewpoints, not an attempt to convince people they are right or wrong, because we are only expressing opinions, not certainties.